Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 05 pepper white MCS modification project

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 12:44 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
open exhaust

While changing the one-ball exhaust to a Milltek non-resonated cat back, I recorded the sound of the open exhaust. It is very loud but the iPhone DSP suppressed the loudness. I would not want to even drive around the blocks though I like to annoy my neighbors sometimes.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:28 AM
pnwR53S
mini in solidarity confinement

Mini has been in solidarity confinement since I ran into unexpected snag with the Milltek cat back exhaust installation.

Mini in solidarity confinement - boxed in and up in the air without freedom

The local water bureau finally came and replaced the storm drain in front of Mini's launch pad. The pavement by the drain basin had seen underground erosion and had sunken at a rapid pace this past rainy seasons. It got to a point that both the Mini and the Porsche are challenged to "negotiate" the driveway without scraping the front end.

the crew was nice and they restored the elevation of the sunken pavement after I explained to them of my concerns - this time without mentioning the Porsche GT4

With Mini in solidarity confinement there is nothing I can do but to watch Top Gear. There are two excellent episodes without the over the top clowning around. One ends in calling all the British automotive and racing entities to bring their products to London and the significance today is staggering.

The other episode that is memorable is Hammond doing the late model new MINI impression.

Richard Hammond doing the late model new MINI (I call them MAXI) front end impression

Hammond is so funny and so spot on

I spent a bit of time testing the GPS with the iPhone with the GPS Device Status app by Dual. Everything looks good. I first checked using Harry's Laptimer but I could not tell if the app is using the XGPS150A instead of the GPS of the iPhone.

it is an open box discount unit - so I need to test it to make sure there is no hidden issues

it takes 2.5 hours to charge and has operation time of about 8.5 hours per spec

One thing about Bluetooth devices is some can be a nightmare to use, because of paring and connectivity issues. Thankfully this one have been very reliable and repeatable with my tests. It also achieves GPS lock very quickly even indoors. I also tested the charging time. On cursory tests the device seems to already have the needed firmware to support 4 to 5 Hz update rate which the earlier versions did not have.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-13-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:24 PM
pnwR53S
milltek cat back non-resonated

I managed to installed the Milltek and squared everything up. The clicking sound is due to the phone rattling in a hard plastic cradle that is a bit loose. No ducklings were harmed in the filming of this video.

Mini has now crossed into the dark side, and there is no going back. With the Exedy SM clutch kit emitting drivetrain sound akin to a gearbox with straight cut gears, the exhaust adds another level of rawness. There is a slight increase in vibration feedback but not excessive.

More to come.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-14-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:59 PM
pnwR53S
mini testing lighter shoes

We all know you should not go grocery shopping when you have an empty stomach. I went to pickup up a exhaust hanger from an ex-Miniac for $10, only to ending up spending a few hundred dollars on stuffs the Mini doesn't need. I impulse purchased this set of Konig 15 inch wheels with tires. I have always wondering the trade offs between 16 inch which I have, and 15 inch on track. Why not just try these out, I thought?

I weighed each wheel, and they are consistently at 30 lb 1.5 oz +/- 1.5 oz.

trying on 15 inch wheels that were used for autocross; Mini sits almost another 1/2 inch lower and negotiating the driveway is even more difficult

While there are still some decent amount of threads remain, the tires have seen better days. I am thinking about throwing on a set of Nitto R compound on them.

for reference here is a photo with 16" wheels 215 45 tires

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-17-2017 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added second photo
The following users liked this post:
eimkeith (07-03-2020)
Old 10-15-2017, 04:38 PM
sani
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The 15's look great.

sani

eimkeith (07-03-2020)
Old 10-17-2017, 01:07 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by sani
The 15's look great.

sani
Thanks. They are tiny but not so tiny as tiny as the 10" wheels on Classic Minis. The down side is I cannot use them with the Wilwood 12.19" BBK that I already bought. It gains in handling but may lose in brake thermal capacity on tracks.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:17 PM
pnwR53S
gopro mount assembled with ram mount components

To prove out my concept of assembling a GoPro camera mount for used with Harry's Laptimer I invested in this 1 inch ball base. This forms the foundation of my GoPro camera mount that will be secured to the head rest of the passenger seat. One of my objective is to be able to use the camera with a passenger.

the RAM Mount base arrived. There is two u-bolts for different diameter ranges

as I want to do a quick test I didn't use the locknuts that came with it for this test fitting exercise

I assemble the camera mount using other RAM Mount components that I have on hand for a quick test. Since I don't yet have a GoPro nor a mounting base for it I used a iPhone 5S as a mockup.

note that there is no dangerous protruding pieces in case of a crash

the iPhone lens cover a pretty perspective of everything of interest; this temporary (3 3/4") arm is a little short until I procure a the 6-inch arm

this is a photo taken with the iPhone 5S in the mount - I think the GoPro has a wider angle lens; the GoPro base offers vertical tilt this mockup does not have so the gear lever as well as the driver leg and foot (keel and toe work) can be seen

For this proof of concept exercise I use a standard arm on hand that measures 3.75 inch long. Once I decide to use RAM Mount component to assemble this GoPro camera mount I purchase a longer arm that is 6 inch long.

The assembled RAM Mount assembly is plenty stout, especially for a light weight camera like a GoPro Hero 5 Black. I didn't have to tighten the clamping force onto the skinny head rest post to have adequate resistance to rotation. I am quite satisfied with this configuration so I would go ahead and procure the remaining two pieces.

this is the 6-inch long arm that I need to purchase

this is a ball joint for the GoPro mount that I also need to procure

And the total cost of this mount is just about $48 when all counted.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-17-2017 at 01:50 PM.
RllyDrvrIX (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 02:41 PM
pnwR53S
milltek non-resonated cat back

Here are some photos of the Milltek non-resonated cat back installation.

unboxing the Milltek cat back exhaust - it is a non-resonated version

I chose the non-resonated Milltek cat back exhaust for many reasons:
It is lighter than the resonated version
It does not have the resonator under the gear shifter which can get very hot driving on the track
It has less back pressure but is a bit louder

the hanger bars on the main pipe has a sleeve welded on to increase the diameter for better engagement with the MINI shock mounts

a closeup of the flanges of the two section main pipes - for shipping reason

here shows the weld that is done inside the lips of the flanges

all the pieces has a welded on tag showing the part number and country of origin

the two section main pipe mated up - they are 2.5 inch instead of 2.25 inch diameter of the stock main pipe

Before installing the Milltek, I check the back pressure against the stock muffler and the resonator. I also carefully weighed the Milltek compare to the stock exhaust.

the mufflers on the Milltek is tiny

you can see here how small and light the Milltek exhaust is; the reduce weight should be easier on the silicone rubber shock mounts

Before proceeded to install the Milltek cat back system, I carefully weighed all the components of the stock exhaust as well as the Milltek.

Milltek:
muffler - 20 lb 3 oz
straight pipes (2) - 9 lb 1.5 oz
misc hardware - 2 lb (not include two pre-05 hangers)
Total: 31 lb 4.5 oz

Stock:
resonator - 20 lb 14 oz
muffler and pipe - 27 lb 4 oz
hangers - 14.6 oz x 2 = 29.2 oz = 1 lb 13.2 oz
Total: 49 lb 15.2 oz

So Milltek is 18 lb 10.7 oz weight saving. I did blow test on both system and Milltek is significantly less restrictive than the stock resonator and muffler which are in series. I expect the Milltek to complete resolve the heat problem with the stock muffler driving wide open throttle at the track.

I improvise this paper cup to do my not so scientific blow tests

One thing that I was concern initially with the Milltek is the hanger bars. They don't have the nubs like on the stock exhaust to prevent it from slipping out of the silicone rubber shock mounts.

you can see the nubs on the stock exhaust hanger bar

this looks to be a heat shield for the battery box but it is actually an aerodynamic undercarriage baffle; this baffle was a liability with the stock muffler as it traps the heat but it should not be a problem with the Milltek cat back

the one-ball exhaust (left top) and the Milltek cat back (right bottom)

one of the rear shock mount is torn

I bought this German shock mount from a local Mini onwer for $10 and it is very close to the red MINI one that costs 3 times more money

I managed to get the Milltek finished between showers with everything squared up. I initially was very concern how well it will fit. It turned out quite well. As the total length of the exhaust will increase significant at maximum operation temperature (like driving wide open at race tracks) I will need to carefully monitor the potential stress it will put on the rubber shock mounts.

I was most concern with the hanger bars of the muffler adequately engage with the silicone rubber shock mount. I checked all four hanging points at the twin muffler after tightened all the fasteners.

do note that the mufflers will tend to move rearwards the higher the temperature, especially driving at full tilt on a track

Another area of my initial concern is this rear flange. On the stock exhaust there is no flange here so the muffler tunnel is quite narrow for the new flange interface. I knew should the flanges turns out to be too close or touching the aluminum heat shield, I can widen it slightly. It turned out I didn't need to as the entire cat back sit very snugly.

the twin tail pipes centers as well as I could hope for as there is no adjustment if they are not; the vertical space is just right

the skid plate of the battery box got bang up at the track when the muffler came loose; I restored the folded lip in just a minute; call me Hammerschmidt

the skid plate is actually a undercarriage aerodynamic device

So what is the Milltek exhaust like? It give the Mini a lot more presence. It is significantly louder than the one-ball exhaust that I modified from all stock. Since my experience with extremely hot muffler which threatened to boil the battery electrolyte I am now willing to live with a louder exhaust for the benefits on the tracks. With the Milltek not just the exhaust is louder and sportier, there is also an incremental step of more drivetrain vibration that can be felt. It is still very pleasant and not enough to cause unpleasant rattle of the interior. Now one can sense each controlled explosion of the engine cylinders. Also, Mini is that much more British.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-17-2017 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 10-19-2017, 02:24 PM
UW Mitch
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice sharing pnwR53S! I noticed that GT4 just hanging out in the background of one of your pics

Last edited by UW Mitch; 10-20-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:42 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by UW Mitch
Nice sharing Vincent! I noticed that GT4 just hanging out in the background of one of your pics
Thanks. The truth is the Mini is getting all the love and affections these days. To me gen 1 Mini is more significant in automotive history than the Porsche GT4. It touches more drivers than any Porsche GT cars ever would. It is so easy to drive a fast car quite fast, but so much more fun to drive a not so fast car fast.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:45 PM
pnwR53S
gopro is here, before winter is here

In my well laid plan to equip AV equipment in my Mini the street car named Desire, I put a number of products on the Amazon wishlist. I do this so I can pounce on the items when I see a good deal.

Amongst other things, I have a GoPro Hero 5 Black on the wishlist. Unbeknownst to me it is what they called a bulk pack SKU, which the sellers do not disclose they are actually refurbished camera kit. They misrepresent these as economic packaging which save you about $45 over the $399 Amazon "street price". It goes for $355 on average on Amazon by its partners.

Being a cheap skate the $355 discounted price is not good enough. I watched and one day I saw one that is Warehouse Deal with further discount and I pounced on it. Only after I committed the purchase that I realize the subtleties of the "bulk pack" being refurbished. Too late now, so I waited until its arrival.

when I saw the packaging inside, I thought good, this appears to be are brand new camera that is an open box

this is what it look with the full retail packaging - not the brown box "bulk pack"

the clear plastic display case has some scuff marks from the camera banging against the inside

thankfully there is no scuff mark on the camera front or back side

the happy dog indicates this is a brand new camera

I infer the reason I got this for a Warehouse Inc. deal is the package is damaged

one unsettling thing is there is this tiny plastic piece (bottom) that looks as if it is broken off from a part

I examined every piece part and cannot find anything that is broken. I concluded it is a piece of injection mold snapoff during the production that made into the package.

here the protection case is detached from the base

I found a not so high performance SD card to use until I get a large capacity one. I proceed to charge up the rechargeable batter and perform basic functional tests to make sure everything is good.

it is a bit of struggle to remove the doggy screen overlay but I managed; the screen surface is pristine

I also check the serial number of the camera (in the battery compartment) against that on the package and it matched. You just never know with some unethical people who will cheat Amazon's generous return policies.

The best part is I got this brand new camera for a significant discount over the $355 "bulk pack" that are refurbished. My cheapness paid off once again. It is a long time from next track season. Who know what the lowest price for this camera would be. It is just one more thing sorted out of the way.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:04 PM
UW Mitch
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
pnwR53s,

I noticed you're not on wheel studs. Let me make you a set of wheel hangers to make your frequent tire changes a little easier.

~Mitch

Last edited by UW Mitch; 10-20-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:13 PM
pnwR53S
no-go pro

This is incredible. I just have a rude awakening that GoPro, for whatever asinine reasons, decided not to support Windows 7 with their Quik software app.
When connecting the camera to my Win 7 PC, it does not show up even as mass media storage device. The app requires Win 10 which I don't have and not yet have a desire to update to. I cannot believe I run into something so trivial.

The only thing I can think of USB-C which my computer don't have, but it is supposed to be backwards compatible.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:26 PM
pnwR53S
mass media device

OK. Got it figured out. The reason it didn't show up as a mass storage device is, you have to switch it on first. Doh! Unlike all other devices I have which you don't need to switch it on. Still their crap app not supporting Win 7 is no excuse. There are 10s of millions of people still on Win 7.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:58 PM
pnwR53S
making do with what I've got

As I haven't purchase the other two RAM Mount piece part to assemble the passenger seat headrest mount for it, I made do with what I have to test out the mockup. I found a spare ball mount base which I could use the GoPro's adhesive flat base. Instead of wasting the adhesive pad, I use a zip tie to secure it together for a makeshift temporary setup.

one zip tie is all that is needed

I added a nylon screw and nut to stop the GoPro base from slipping off the zip tie of this "lotus pad" mount

even with the short 3 3/4" arm there is no problem at all even with a passenger

The Hero 4 Black has 5 field of view setting for many HD video modes, ranging from narrow, linear, to ultra wide so there is a lot of latitude on the coverage I want to use. I went for a around the blocks test drive and took a short video. The image is crystal clear even set at 720p/60.

I still have to play with pairing the Hero 4 Black with the iPhone and use with Harry's Laptimer.

GoPro's software support leaves a lot to be desired. Their desktop app Quik only support Windows 10 so I am soot out of luck to use it on my Win 7 desktop which I do most of my heavy lifting work on.

this is their OS and hardware requirements

So I downloaded and installed Quik on the 5k iMac. Their sleazy tactic trying to get you to sign up for their $5/month account is part of the installation click through process, and I did read their they have the right to do whatever with your personal information. I wasted the time to enter some basic user account information only to realize this sleaze at they end when it ask for payment method.

I never give company like this my real credential

The software is quite good and light weight for downloading, basic post editing, and especially trimming.

The down side of this newer camera is the USB-C interface. If you want to use an external microphone like me, you have to buy the Pro 3.5mm mic adapter from GoPro. Unlike the previous model one can purchase a much cheaper USB to mic adapter cable which is just a passive cable. The Pro 3.5mm mic adapter is an active device so cost $49.

pro 3.5mm mic adapter

Most of the fancy and higher performance features, including GPS will not be used by Harry's Laptimer. The Hero 4 Silver is probably the best camera if you are on a tight budget. I want the Hero 5 Black features for futureproof, and I plan to use many more advanced features for other applications. Also, while it has a rechargeable battery, the kit does not come with a AC adapter for charging. You have to provide your own 5V power source for the 20" USB-C cable that is generously included.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-20-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:25 AM
pnwR53S
720p/60 gopro test

This is just a short test video using 720p/60. For Harry's Laptimer it is all I need even though the Hero 5 Black is capable of 4k.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:35 AM
pnwR53S
cae long shifter

I am slowing warming up to the CAE shifter. What gave me pauses is I have to butcher the Mini's center console trim to accommodate one.

I know it gives the most precise shift owing to the no-nonsense precision mechanical design and construction, but I have never experienced one or seen one in action - until this video.

how much are you willing to pay for this tight shifting?

While the basic kit is $899.99 street price here in the US. The Gen 1 Mini requires also a specially made metal cassette assembly, which brings the street price to about $1065.

Here is the link to the installation manual.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:23 PM
pnwR53S
small steps on the GoPro camera setup

A few small steps forward on the GoPro camera setup.

There are a lot of pieces of parts for the GoPro Hero 5 Black camera to configure the way I want for used with Harry's Laptimer. I have been procuring the pieces serially instead of all at once. Some of the part selection only becomes more apparent only after I have receive others. It is better to specify them right the first time, instead of wasting money for parts that does not fit.

The Hero 5 Black uses USB-C interface. Because of it using external microphone(s) requires this $49 USB-C microphone dongle. Unlike the older GoPro cameras, there is no analog bus sharing on the USB-C. The dongle is an active device with a built in ADC(s) for the microphone(s). While supporting a stereo microphone it still allow the use of the USB-C port.

Pro 3.5mm Microphone dongle

I have this compact Sony stereo microphone a very long time (from the Minidisc days). It requires phantom power and fortunately the dongle supports it. It also need extra gain which the Hero 5 Black also supports.

the purpose of the microphone is to capture the muffler sound for more engaging track video

I found a more suitable RAM Mount base (right) for the head rest post

it is designed for clamping onto 3/8 to 5/8 inch diameter post - perfect fit

I am still waiting for the 6 inch long arm to arrive, so I just use the standard 3.75 inch arm for testing.

I am quite please with the result of this RAM mount based camera mount. It cost less than half that of the BMW boutique counterpart.

I also received this 1" ball head with integral GoPro tilt mount so out goes the temporary made shift standin

Ideally I prefer not to have the microphone adapter dongle hanging off the side of the camera. To change it will require getting a USB-C extension cable, which I suspect is not a permissible design per USB-C specs. Ignore the specs I can only find 1m long extension cable. My plan is to use the power outlet in the Mini's boot (rear hatch) to supply the GoPro camera.

sony stereo microphone that needs to be mounted by the rear license plate and covered with a old smelly sock

one other component still to arrive - for drivetrain telemetries

Old 10-29-2017, 02:19 PM
pnwR53S
one more thing

This morning I finished off the leftover bits of installing the MFSW adapter for the Alpine head unit. That is to reinstalling the European parcel shelf's two pesky screws that does not line up with the plastic clip-on nuts on the plastic dash frame.

Taking the momentum with my success streak I decided to implement the iPhone mount idea that I have been kicking about.

For as long as I have an iPhone I have meant to find a satisfactory and secure mount for it in the Mini. Unlike most other car, space is severely constrained in the Mini interior. Over the years I have brainstorm on many ideas and none I deem acceptable. While playing with the development the mount for the GoPro camera I realized that I may be able to utilize one of the two round bases that I have to form a secure foundation for it. The two round bases that I have, one is plastic and the other aluminum.

Just as I thought they fit nearly perfectly into the tiny cup holders in the Mini which no one uses as the name suggest as you have to till a small cup just to insert it into the holder. What make this an ideal location for the phone mount is it is essentially a dead space, yet it is perfect for a smartphone or GPS map. It is within easy hands reach and affords excellent view and distance to the screen. Additionally, inside the cup holder is an anchoring screw for the center console assembly, which means no holes need to be drill if I done the design right.

the plastic 2.5 inch round base

the aluminum 2.5 inch round base

I chose to use the aluminum base as as surface of the base plate is flat. I just drilled a new hole to align with the location of the screw. As the 2.5 inch base plate covers almost the entire flat bottom of the cup holder cavity it is extremely secure even with only one screw. I consider adding a piece of 3M VSB tape but decided it is not necessary. All I need to do is find a slightly longer screw.

the 2.5 inch RAM Mount base installed inside the cup holder

here is with my purpose-made RAM Mount iPhone 6S plus cradle

I can shift the phone more to the center of the console but this slight offset to the driver side make it less likely to be obscured by the gear shifter

a view low from the side - it is also very close to the 12V outlet for ease of charging

This is assembled from all the RAM Mount parts that I already have. I am pleased with the result. A ten year itch scratched.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-29-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:31 PM
pnwR53S
one more thing - bad thing

Well the installation of the universal MFSW adapter for the Alpine head unit didn't go as well. When taking the Mini out for a drive later I realized I triggered the steering wheel airbag warning light.

The last thing I want to do is to take the Mini to the dealer to get it the airbag fault cleared. After a bit of trial and tribulation I succeeded in clearing it and extinguished the warning light with INPA.

While it was an oversight, the experience forced me to get INPA working and have some hands on experience with it. All good, and Mini averted a trip to the dreaded MINI Krankenhaus.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:11 PM
pnwR53S
testing, testing, 123

It takes forever to upload even this short video to Youtube. I guess it is Google’s way of discourage freeloaders like me in uploading videos that the company cannot turn into cash.

Everything needs to be tested. For the GoPro camera setup for used with Harry’s Tracktimer I configured a Sony stereo microphone to capture the exhaust sound. This calls for the microphone to be place outside of the rear hatch. I put the mic inside an old sock to reduce the wind noise and simply hang it between the hatch door and the rear bumper, secured by a piece of shoestring in case the sock and mic fall off.

GoPro with the Pro 3.5mm mic adapter and a Sony stereo mic

One thing that surprised me is the Hero 5 Black can only have one microphone source. When using an external microphone the built-in mic is disable. There is no multi-source mixer built into the camera. Despite of this shortcoming I am extremely impressed with how good the camera is, for image quality of video and stills, audio, and how well it cops with shocks and vibrations.

I went for a test drive to test the audio, pretending to be a recording engineer. As I don’t yet have all the cables I was forced to leave the GoPro sitting inside the rear hatch. It captured a very interesting kidnapped point of view. We all know how dirty our Mini’s butt gets. Pay attention at 0:37 and at 1:11. Shocking how much debris got sucked up over the rear window even at low speed.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-30-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:00 PM
pnwR53S
more gifts for mini

More goodies arrived for Mini and he is so spoiled.

the Kiwi 3 ODB dongle arrived

also arrived is the 6-inch long RAM Mount arm

this is what the GoPro camera mount looks like with the extra long arm

this is with the temporary standard arm

side view with the long arm

The longer arm just place the camera more inboard so it is less likely to be obscured with a passenger. The truth is the standard arm would most likely just fine, but I want to have a longer arm. All my RAM Mount, except the phone model specific cradles have been used and reused in different mount configurations.

I still need to get a few cables to set up the microphone as well as power supply. I also need to test out the Kiwi 3 ODB wireless dongle.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:44 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
the r53 obd2 port is very slow, makes the data in video from stuff like harry's laptimer look strange

Old 11-02-2017, 05:28 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by mega72
the r53 obd2 port is very slow, makes the data in video from stuff like harry's laptimer look strange
Yes. I have prepare to not being shocked should the data rate as well as latency shortcomings with ODB. It is not exactly designed for real time telemetry. It is possible if you are also using the phone for video recording and running Harry's too. Offloading the video recording should lighten the processing load significantly. I got a great deal on this new Kiwi 3 and Harry's listed it high on the supported devices.

Can always just rely on what the camera captures if it turn out less than stellar.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:05 AM
pnwR53S
cables and more goodies

I didn't want to order everything that I envisioned all at once. Some of these parts can only be best specified once other pieces are firmed up. The cables falls into this category, even now I am still unable to firm up how best to handle the Sony microphone. I don't want to waste money buying extra cables that I would not use.

The latest to arrive is a 6-foot USB-C to USB-A cable. This is for providing constant power to the GoPro camera from the rear 12V outlet. This location is chosen to keep the cockpit free of clutter, and to leave the two 5V ports up front for the iPhone and another device like the GPS sensor.

I chose this Amazon Basics cable as it is USB-IF certified

6-foot is just perfect

no extra slack at all by the time it reaches the 12V outlet where a 5V adapter will be inserted

this polyurethane bushing kit is for the front control arm; this is a stiffer racing version offered by Powerflex; it will be a labor intensive installation which I am not looking forward to

I am still undecided yet as how best to set up the Sony mic so it hangs just off the boot door. Ideally the best location for it is under the licence plate light bracket. That will require extra 6 feet or more with the microphone cable length as it needs to be brought up to the hatch door hinge and down to the license plate light assembly. The other consideration involves the microphone is the Pro 3.5mm mic adapter.

I do not like the Pro 3.5mm mic adapter hanging off the GoPro camera. The only way to do that is to buy a USB-C extension cable and hope the high serial communication is not compromised. I can only find 1 meter long of these extension cables. I infer it is to keep maintain signal integrity so most devices would still work.

I dislike the Pro 3.5mm mic adapter swinging off the GoPro camera; what is not shown is the weight of a USB-C cable also connected to provide persistent power to the camera

a 1 meter extension cable will leave the mic adapter resting on the bottom cushion of the rear seat - not an elegant arrangement

Last edited by pnwR53S; 11-05-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added link

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 05 pepper white MCS modification project