Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

clearing air bag light

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 01:31 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
clearing air bag light

Hi all,

I feel pretty stupid to triggered the air bag warning light all because of a simple oversight. I accessed the MFSW to get to the audio control interface signal (red/wht/yel) the universal MFSW head unit adapter needs to connect to. To get to this wire and I unplug the white connector (cruise control and audio control) behind the steering wheel. I also unplug the small yellow connector (air bag) to make it easier to detach the white connector and splice into the wire in question.

All went well and I switch the ignition to ACC and proceeded to teach the universal MFSW adapter, but I forgot to re-insert both of these connectors. Re-inserting both connectors I was able to teach the MFSW adapter and it functions as expected.

Later on that day I drove the Mini, and only then that I realized by switching the key to ACC with the airbag connector unplug has triggered the air bag warning light (the center one on the speedometer). I have since read a number of posts with conflicting information. Some say only the dealer can clear it. Some say you need a Bevtool. I watch a Youtube video and this guy was able to clear his BMW airbag light with INPA.

The only scan gauge I have is useless Ultragauge, which I already tried, and it only handle engine related fault codes.

I have INPA and the needed cable.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:21 PM
pnwR53S
how to configure INPA

I found my cable. I have never use INPA before. I launched INPA, switch on ignition. I don't see any vehicle choices in INPA. It seems that I need to configure it first but how. The help files are in German.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:06 PM
pnwR53S
INPA came to the rescue

Like I wrote in the previous post, I launched INPA, but something was obvious amiss. There is no vehicle list. While I have use it to launch the EDIABAS server app which is needed for use with NCS Expert, I had never really use INPA to retrieve and clear trouble code.

Suspecting that the install was no good, I spent a couple of hours reinstalling the entire suite. Just when the INPA appears to look right - now showing the vehicle list, I was plagued by the ODB serial adapter glitch. It was already dusk and I pushed on.

A lot of work and I finally able to clear the warning light using INPA. To get the INPA to work, I went through hell as the original installation I did back in June was no good.

Like I always like to say, what does not kill me makes me stronger. I persevered and succeeded. I definitely feel stronger now despite of the trial and tribulation. I now have a verified working installation of INPA.

airbag warning light illuminates

Here are the screen shots of the two airbag error codes logged, before and after I cleared them.

airbag error codes logged

airbag error codes cleared

INPA is a bit flaky and I have to try a few times. It gave me some error message the first time. Sure enough once the codes were cleared, the airbag warning light extinguished. To be sure I started the engine to verify.

This is my Mini's first ever trouble code after 44,000 miles, and the code is self-inflicted because of a moment of inattention.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-30-2017 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 10-30-2017, 07:52 PM
pnwR53S
airbag trouble codes

A few points of interesting from the descriptions in the two errors.

One is driver side airbag level 1, and the other driver side airbag level 2. In both the resistance is too high. In both the fault is not sporadic. I have read others that sometimes the warning light returns. Theirs' may due to true airbag system fault that is intermittent - i.e. sporadic.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:07 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
This is awesome!! Any recommendations for cables? I've always wanted to get into coding with NCSexpert, some guys figured out how to modify some values and get comfort open to work from the key, turn blinkers to blink twice, etc.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:29 PM
pnwR53S
This is
the cable I bought the cable I bought
. You do have to solder together pin-7 and 8 (the two last pins).

The following users liked this post:
sarom058 (11-03-2017)