Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain WMW DP vs Mario's DP

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 07:23 AM
the_redpill
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WMW DP vs Mario's DP

So I'm getting ready to send my ECU off to Mario to get flashed. He has a DP that runs $550. While I'm sure it's top of the line, would I not get the same results with the WMW DP https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-ca...-r59-r60.html? It's $250 cheaper. I don't care about looks and I'm not in a salty environment so rust isn't a factor.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I don't advocate messing with emissions related devices, that being said... check engine lights are probably cancelled on Mariokart DP and not necessarily on WMW.

If Mariokart is doing your tune I'd be all in on trusting that he will do right for you, he has a stellar reputation here.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:46 AM
the_redpill
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I don't advocate messing with emissions related devices, that being said... check engine lights are probably cancelled on Mariokart DP and not necessarily on WMW.

If Mariokart is doing your tune I'd be all in on trusting that he will do right for you, he has a stellar reputation here.
Anytime you bypass a DP, CEL has to be bypassed regardless of which catless down pipe you are using.

Mario made a compelling case for his and I'm going with his.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:05 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
The flanges will be done being wet jetted today and the pipe bender is doing 2.5" mandrel tubing this week.
Thanks for being patient with me.
Mario

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 04-04-2017, 09:07 AM
the_redpill
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
The flanges will be done being wet jetted today and the pipe bender is doing 2.5" mandrel tubing this week.
Thanks for being patient with me.
Mario

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer
NP Mario, it's not like I have a race to attend or anything, lol.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:35 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I can tell you that we have been making ours for about 7yrs now and they have been great. We did a few things different than the other DPs on the market. Our Catless DP is made all one piece pipe with so it has no multiple parts to crack and come apart. Then we put the O2 sensor ports in the stock locations so both sensors will go right in and all the stock heatshields can be put on. Then the flange that mounts to the downpipe is a 1/2 thick to prevent warping and keep a tight seal at the turbo. Most companies use and off the shelf 3/8 one that is also a sloppy fit as ours is machined to be an exact match to the MINI turbo studs.
I can't tell you why his is so expensive at $550 as the only reason may be is he does them in small quantities. This is our full time job and we only work on MINIs so we make ours in large quantities and also are not trying to make a million on each one we sell. If you want our ceramic coated most places will charge $25-75 to do it. We don't do it as most don't want to spend the money or find it necessary.

Another option would also be the Milltek Downipe. It is a multi piece pipe but is still a quality part and does fit well. It is also less than $300. Milltek has been producing exh parts for years as that is all they do.

As for tuning we offer Manic tunes also. But again since this is our full time job and have a full service shop we offer a 24hr turn around and often if we get it early enough we can even ship it back out the same day.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-04-2017, 11:39 AM
the_redpill
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I can tell you that we have been making ours for about 7yrs now and they have been great. We did a few things different than the other DPs on the market. Our Catless DP is made all one piece pipe with so it has no multiple parts to crack and come apart. Then we put the O2 sensor ports in the stock locations so both sensors will go right in and all the stock heatshields can be put on. Then the flange that mounts to the downpipe is a 1/2 thick to prevent warping and keep a tight seal at the turbo. Most companies use and off the shelf 3/8 one that is also a sloppy fit as ours is machined to be an exact match to the MINI turbo studs.
I can't tell you why his is so expensive at $550 as the only reason may be is he does them in small quantities. This is our full time job and we only work on MINIs so we make ours in large quantities and also are not trying to make a million on each one we sell. If you want our ceramic coated most places will charge $25-75 to do it. We don't do it as most don't want to spend the money or find it necessary.

Another option would also be the Milltek Downipe. It is a multi piece pipe but is still a quality part and does fit well. It is also less than $300. Milltek has been producing exh parts for years as that is all they do.

As for tuning we offer Manic tunes also. But again since this is our full time job and have a full service shop we offer a 24hr turn around and often if we get it early enough we can even ship it back out the same day.
Well that's a compelling sales pitch as well. Mario advised, the difference in his is his downpipe is the Ceramic Baking 2300F ported flange allows the downpipe opening to be larger than the turbos exit. Othe dp's openings are off centered causing the air to slam into the side of the dp. Larger top and bottom adjustment mount capabilities so it can fit perfectly.

Me speaking not Mario, I've also been told that the WMW DP is an extremely tight fit and many times need to be modified to fit.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:15 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Jumping in here, I don't care which catless DP anyone buys, but the fact remains that it will set a code and illuminate the check engine light. That is an automatic fail on a smog test here in California. Now, if the Manic tune (or another) reflashes the ECM to not trigger a CEL, would O2 sensor still show as a monitor not run? The only monitor allowed to not run in Cali in order to pass a smog check is the evap. Anyone?

Old 04-14-2017, 03:04 PM
the_redpill
1st Gear
I just got my ECU back from Mario. All I can say is WHOA. This thing will ever more fly! I have never seen the kind of gains from a tune and I've tuned both my GTO and Tahoe previously. I would HIGHLY recommend getting Mario to tune your ECU. I haven't even put the dp, plugs or CAI (which there are no gains according to Mario just sound) and I'm supremely impressed. Well worth the money. Thanks Mario.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:48 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by the_redpill
I just got my ECU back from Mario. All I can say is WHOA. This thing will ever more fly! I have never seen the kind of gains from a tune and I've tuned both my GTO and Tahoe previously. I would HIGHLY recommend getting Mario to tune your ECU. I haven't even put the dp, plugs or CAI (which there are no gains according to Mario just sound) and I'm supremely impressed. Well worth the money. Thanks Mario.
I'm glad it all worked out and your happy. I'm picking up the downpipes today and then off to the ceramic coaters. I will send yours out immediately.
Watch out for the police!!
Thanks,
Mario

private

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp