Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Comprehensive Intercooler Discussion

  #26  
Old 10-26-2017, 12:12 PM
4mikebruns's Avatar
4mikebruns
4mikebruns is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 184
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
]Here are my numbers. The graph didnt work and idk how to fix it but you can see through my pull I maxed out 12 degrees above ambient and that was only for a fraction of a second at redline.
Manic Stage 2 MapC. Downpipe and CTS turbo intake
 
The following users liked this post:
scotty_r56s (10-26-2017)
  #27  
Old 10-26-2017, 12:45 PM
scotty_r56s's Avatar
scotty_r56s
scotty_r56s is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: GA
Posts: 121
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns View Post
]Here are my numbers. The graph didnt work and idk how to fix it but you can see through my pull I maxed out 12 degrees above ambient and that was only for a fraction of a second at redline.
Manic Stage 2 MapC. Downpipe and CTS turbo intake
If you attach the .csv I can sort it out for you.

This is how my stock IC testing is going:



Day one "test" results:
 
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Intercooler data.pdf (107.3 KB, 26 views)
  #28  
Old 10-26-2017, 12:47 PM
njaremka's Avatar
njaremka
njaremka is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,351
Received 141 Likes on 127 Posts
Just wanted to post my results from a quick run today.

I have a Manic stage 2, "Wagner" Ebay intercooler, and OEM turbo.

I tried to get a 3rd gear pull, but ran into traffic. The part of the run where the IAT above ambient goes up was run in 4th gear. I'll try to get a smoother 3rd gear pull tomorrow.

This is the style of my intercooler:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-Min...5Yp7Tj&vxp=mtr
 
Attached Thumbnails Comprehensive Intercooler Discussion-run1.jpg  
  #29  
Old 10-26-2017, 01:25 PM
4mikebruns's Avatar
4mikebruns
4mikebruns is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 184
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's the .CSV file
 
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
scotty_r56s (10-26-2017)
  #30  
Old 10-26-2017, 01:30 PM
scotty_r56s's Avatar
scotty_r56s
scotty_r56s is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: GA
Posts: 121
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns View Post
Here's the .CSV file







How's that?
 

Last edited by scotty_r56s; 10-26-2017 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Corrected graphic...again
  #31  
Old 10-26-2017, 01:38 PM
4mikebruns's Avatar
4mikebruns
4mikebruns is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 184
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Angryson View Post


How's that?
​​​​​​
Looks accurate to me! Thanks. Forge Copy intercooler by the way. Reiterating this is Manic stage 2 map C with carless downpipe and a CTS Turbo Intake.
 
  #32  
Old 10-26-2017, 05:05 PM
sani
sani is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 65
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow. This is awesome! Keep the data coming!
 
  #33  
Old 10-26-2017, 05:10 PM
4mikebruns's Avatar
4mikebruns
4mikebruns is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 184
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
My car is auto by the way. You can see that the IAT rises to peak just about redline and then when you go into another gear they drop again. I believe this is because the air stops flowing as efficiently at that point and also because its the highest point of heat from the motor/turbo. You can see on my graph my IAT actually dropped some round 4500rpm as low as 5 degrees above ambient and fell below 10 again after shifting to 4th.
 
  #34  
Old 10-26-2017, 10:49 PM
squawSkiBum
squawSkiBum is offline
Moderator
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,559
Received 189 Likes on 161 Posts
Awesome guys, yes keep the data coming! Years ago there were endless threads on intercoolers but no data, wish we had done this 4-5 years back.

4mikebruns, change the logging interval to 0.2 seconds or so, you'll get much more detailed data. Also interesting to look at the timing advance on the same graph.

I don't recommend a 4th gear pull to redline on any public road, I have only done that on the track, honest, and it's serious trouble if you get busted. 3rd gear to redline at least you'll stay out of jail. Datalog responsibly.
 

Last edited by squawSkiBum; 10-26-2017 at 10:58 PM.
  #35  
Old 10-30-2017, 06:17 AM
scotty_r56s's Avatar
scotty_r56s
scotty_r56s is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: GA
Posts: 121
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Angryson View Post

This is how my stock IC testing is going:


I installed the eBay Wagner type intercooler this weekend, here is a snapshot of the data:





I'll be putting together a more in depth look at the intercooler tonight.
 

Last edited by scotty_r56s; 10-30-2017 at 06:49 AM. Reason: missing words...so many missing words
  #36  
Old 10-30-2017, 12:52 PM
400mphpc's Avatar
400mphpc
400mphpc is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Danville, Indiana
Posts: 58
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Angryson, which eBay Wagner clone did you purchase? Would you mind sharing a link to it? I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on one as well and following this thread closely.
 
  #37  
Old 10-30-2017, 02:31 PM
scotty_r56s's Avatar
scotty_r56s
scotty_r56s is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: GA
Posts: 121
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 400mphpc View Post
Angryson, which eBay Wagner clone did you purchase? Would you mind sharing a link to it? I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on one as well and following this thread closely.
It was a "G-plus"

I posted a review in this thread
 
  #38  
Old 10-30-2017, 04:13 PM
nick_vu
nick_vu is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 32
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns View Post
I have a Forge Copy I got off ebay for $135 and it's performed great.


I only tracked (drag strip) my car once before putting it on. What I noticed was While waiting for my next run the stock one my intake temps would get as hot as 30 - 40 degrees warmer than ambient, so I'd be launching a fairly hot car. I ran a fastest of 14.2 @100mph with just a Manic stage 2 tune on Map B (no other mods besides the spark plugs). After I go the intercooler and downpipe on I've ran a best of 13.5 @102mph. Also while sitting waiting for my next runs my intake temps would never exceed maybe 20 degrees higher than ambient. while cruising my temps are right at ambient now or within 1 degree.
Hey Mike. Did you have to do any cutting or anything to get the intercooler to fit right or did it fit right on?
 
  #39  
Old 10-30-2017, 04:14 PM
4mikebruns's Avatar
4mikebruns
4mikebruns is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 184
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by nick_vu View Post
Hey Mike. Did you have to do any cutting or anything to get the intercooler to fit right or did it fit right on?
No. I have a 2014 Clubman. The only thing I had to do was remove the crash bar to get it on. Then I reinstalled the bar.
 

Last edited by 4mikebruns; 10-31-2017 at 06:22 AM.
  #40  
Old 10-31-2017, 04:32 AM
KCLARK
KCLARK is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 198
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I found another intercooler which some of you may have heard of, CTS Turbo makes an intercooler for R56's and sort of looks similar to the ATM intercooler design. This CTS intercooler is about twice as much as the ebay versions but is much less than ATM, Wagner, Helix, and Forge. This intercooler seems to be extremely popular with VW GTI owners. Im only posting to see what others have to say about it.


http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/product...56-5011-0.html
 
  #41  
Old 10-31-2017, 06:21 AM
4mikebruns's Avatar
4mikebruns
4mikebruns is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 184
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by KCLARK View Post
I found another intercooler which some of you may have heard of, CTS Turbo makes an intercooler for R56's and sort of looks similar to the ATM intercooler design. This CTS intercooler is about twice as much as the ebay versions but is much less than ATM, Wagner, Helix, and Forge. This intercooler seems to be extremely popular with VW GTI owners. Im only posting to see what others have to say about it.


http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/product...56-5011-0.html


Honestly just looks like the ALTA intercooler. They're just not being greedy. from the data shown so far there hasn't been a reason to purchase a name brand IC yet. Only thing we have seen so far is that ANYTHING is better than stock lol
 
  #42  
Old 10-31-2017, 07:25 AM
KCLARK
KCLARK is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 198
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns View Post
Honestly just looks like the ALTA intercooler. They're just not being greedy. from the data shown so far there hasn't been a reason to purchase a name brand IC yet. Only thing we have seen so far is that ANYTHING is better than stock lol


That's funny you said ALTA because I had looked them up and found nothing on intercoolers on their website, but in doing my ebay intercooler searches, Alta intercoolers came up selling over $800!!! what had me wondering is why is ALTA's on ebay but not on their on their own website?
I did read a thread on here (which I cant find now) where somebody tested several different intercoolers and the Alta intercooler had some of the highest temperatures!!!
 
  #43  
Old 10-31-2017, 09:49 AM
Bnourai's Avatar
Bnourai
Bnourai is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 729
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
There is a reason that those name brands are so much more expensive, can you say US.?
We keep hyping them up, the more buyers experience the no name brand or over stock re branded ones then those so called name brand prices will drop.
Man most of us consumers have not figured this out yet, alta wagoner this that love us as sockers.
I drove to work today mostly in a none favorable traffic conditions, ambient this morning at 51° I have little over an hour drive, once out of traffic I red lined 4 times 2nd third and traffic lights never went more than 4° over ambient. Now let's spend 6- $700 to get the same thing so we can write in our signiture.
 

Last edited by Bnourai; 10-31-2017 at 09:56 AM.
  #44  
Old 10-31-2017, 09:57 AM
scotty_r56s's Avatar
scotty_r56s
scotty_r56s is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: GA
Posts: 121
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bnourai View Post
There is a reason that those name brands are so much more expensive, can you say US.
We keep hyping them up, the more buyers experience the no name brand or over stock re branded ones then those so called name brand prices will drop.
Man most of us consumers have not figured this out yet, alta wagoner this that love us as sockers.
I totally agree with you. The only reason they can charge so much is because we are willing to pay. Hell, the eBay intercooler I bought clearly had the Wagner Tuning logo ground off of the end tank. I would pay $600+ for an intercooler that is made in the United States by American labor but it appears that product does not exist.
 
  #45  
Old 10-31-2017, 10:17 AM
Bnourai's Avatar
Bnourai
Bnourai is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 729
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
This posts about the eBay ICE maybe the only way that those of us using them can prove that the quality of manufacturing has changed so much and the technologies of manufacturers have definitely changed with it.but enough said,,,,,time to play
Ben
 
  #46  
Old 11-01-2017, 10:24 AM
MCS02's Avatar
MCS02
MCS02 is offline
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 103
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Be careful with knockoff cheep products. You may get one that last forever but you may get one that the welds break and leak or worse break and you ingest some metal into your motor. One reason it is cheeper is quality control is nell. The other reason it is cheep is if bad things happen they will be of no help. People like Helix and a few others make a quality product and stand behind it. Also they spent the money to research different designs to find what worked best so they have to charge more to recoup the money spent.
One last reason to buy from Helix, RMW, WMW, etc is because they support the mini community, with out them there would be no knock offs to be had.

You spent a lot for your Mini buy good parts.

Just my .02 worth.
 
  #47  
Old 11-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Bnourai's Avatar
Bnourai
Bnourai is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 729
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I support the Vendors in all shape and form.
and i got your point loud and clear.
hope i have one that lasts for ever.
just like to know since name brands are not made to order and are mass production where do they end up in...or we are buying yesterday's technology?
when over stock parts don't sell you can't keep them for ever...
but as i stated thank you for your .02
BTW: How do we know it is a knockoff and not the original over stock without the name brand logo? have we as consumers broke down a name brand and the so called knockoff next to each other with analyses of materiel and other stuff that is needed to prove ability of one against the other...i sure am glad that i and some others can be the lab rat. i can now relate to the first monkey that was sent to space. but i am just one of those that don't buy what i am told by others. anyhow maybe i am looking for a excuse to re do my engine for 400+HP once it sucks all the metals in..
 

Last edited by Bnourai; 11-01-2017 at 12:32 PM.
  #48  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:41 AM
4mikebruns's Avatar
4mikebruns
4mikebruns is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 184
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
They cant be trying to recover from much to develop an intercooler. They're a basic design nothing too special about them. The car already starts off with a horrible one so ANYTHING is a massive improvement. These intercoolers have also been out for a LONG time. Granted the MCS/JCW isn't a super popular platform, I'm sure they've sold enough to "recover" R&D costs. One irritating thing I find for my Clubman S is the lack of aftermarket exhaust support. There's literally Two systems available, Magnaflow $800 or Milltek $1100-1200.
 
  #49  
Old 11-01-2017, 06:06 PM
MCS02's Avatar
MCS02
MCS02 is offline
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 103
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Bnuorai, who pissed in your cornflakes? Nothing I said was meant to offend I was giving a opinion borne of many years of experience. I have two minis and my wife has one I know a little about what I am talking about. I have about 35 years of expearance turning a wrench If you disagree that’s fine you have a right to and I will listen to your side. Sorry you can’t stand to hear a different opinion, snowflake, put on your big boy pants. just trying to be helpful to fellow mini owners.

4mikeburns, you right development cost is not huge but it is there. I didn’t mean to over stat R&D. For me, and some may feel different that’s fine, I like to buy from someone that is trying to put out a good product and will stand behind their parts this most of the time does mean you pay more.
As far as exhaust go they are not many to choose from I ended up with WMW Stratmosphere for my R53.
 
  #50  
Old 11-01-2017, 06:11 PM
Bnourai's Avatar
Bnourai
Bnourai is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 729
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Bnuorai, who pissed in your cornflakes? Nothing I said was meant to offend I was giving a opinion borne of many years of experience. I have two minis and my wife has one I know a little about what I am talking about. I have about 35 years of expearance turning a wrench If you disagree that’s fine you have a right to and I will listen to your side. Sorry you can’t stand to hear a different opinion, snowflake, put on your big boy pants. just trying to be helpful to fellow mini owners.

WOW WOW COOL DOWN MR WRENCH.
I MEANT NO DISRESPECT TO YOUR A$$$$$$$$.
take your words back, cuz if you **** in my cornflakes you would not be around to watch me eat it....WOW
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: