Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Intercooler upgrade without a tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:03 AM
Phocine
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler upgrade without a tune

For my daily driver would there be any benefit of an intercooler to justify the cost of buying one?

I don't plan on tuning, tracking, or autocrossing my car and I only run mountain roads a couple times a month and my daily commute to work is only 20 mins total.

If this was your car and your driving habits would you spend the money on an aftermarket intercooler?

Old 01-18-2017, 08:08 AM
minirab
5th Gear
I have a Forge ic, needed with the RMW tune.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:20 AM
Phocine
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minirab
I have a Forge ic, needed with the RMW tune.

If you didn't get the RMW tune would you have still bought the forge IC?

Old 01-18-2017, 08:37 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Seems the best benefit would only be if you were getting major heat-soak with the OEM one. Like if you were stuck in 20 mins of traffic on your way to some more 'fun' roads on your typical drive....a larger IC would help it recover easier.

There is no way it wouldnt benefit a little, but likely not totally WORTH the cost. Id still probably buy it because its something to do and that is half the fun...plus you already totally want to buy it...its in your signature. Dooooit.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:46 AM
Phocine
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
Seems the best benefit would only be if you were getting major heat-soak with the OEM one. Like if you were stuck in 20 mins of traffic on your way to some more 'fun' roads on your typical drive....a larger IC would help it recover easier.

There is no way it wouldnt benefit a little, but likely not totally WORTH the cost. Id still probably buy it because its something to do and that is half the fun...plus you already totally want to buy it...its in your signature. Dooooit.

Haha ya I do have it in my signature, this is why it's still pending. I just don't want to feel like I'm wasting the intercooler by not having my car tuned. I know I could easily recoup the money I spent on the JB+ and sprint booster if I decided to tune my car though.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:00 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Since you don't plan on tuning or tracking, there's no need for an intercooler upgrade. You won't see any benefit in your daily use. Elsewhere in some other thread I posted actual data logs of the IAT difference between the stock and the Wagner intercooler, it makes a big difference on the track but for daily driver duty no difference. Even the "heat soak" argument is overrated, since the stock intercooler recovers quickly from high temps simply because there's not much thermal mass. Get an OBD2 adapter and the Torque app on your phone, look at how often you have positive boost on your daily commute - almost never. Also look at the IATs and how quickly they recover once you're out of boost. I collected my data logs doing a 3rd gear WOT pull from 2000 rpm to redline, up hill, yes the Wagner FMIC makes a big difference in IAT but how often do you do that? On the track, multiple times per lap, on your daily commute, never.

That said, from your sig it looks like you have done some suspension mods and an exhaust, so if you're into it and want to drop $600+ go for it! As iwashmycar said, the modding is half the fun. Then you'll have a reason to go to the track and start spending all your extra $ on brake pads.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:17 AM
Phocine
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
Since you don't plan on tuning or tracking, there's no need for an intercooler upgrade. You won't see any benefit in your daily use. Elsewhere in some other thread I posted actual data logs of the IAT difference between the stock and the Wagner intercooler, it makes a big difference on the track but for daily driver duty no difference. Even the "heat soak" argument is overrated, since the stock intercooler recovers quickly from high temps simply because there's not much thermal mass. Get an OBD2 adapter and the Torque app on your phone, look at how often you have positive boost on your daily commute - almost never. Also look at the IATs and how quickly they recover once you're out of boost. I collected my data logs doing a 3rd gear WOT pull from 2000 rpm to redline, up hill, yes the Wagner FMIC makes a big difference in IAT but how often do you do that? On the track, multiple times per lap, on your daily commute, never.

That said, from your sig it looks like you have done some suspension mods and an exhaust, so if you're into it and want to drop $600+ go for it! As iwashmycar said, the modding is half the fun. Then you'll have a reason to go to the track and start spending all your extra $ on brake pads.

Thanks for the input! Unfortunately for my checkbook my desire to throw mods at my car won. So I have already ordered the IC and will be picking it up tomorrow and installing it Saturday

Old 01-19-2017, 06:37 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
it'll be fine
ran the intercooler and downpipe for more than a month with no tune

Old 01-19-2017, 10:04 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Phocine
Thanks for the input! Unfortunately for my checkbook my desire to throw mods at my car won.
I know that feeling... sometimes you just gotta do it.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:17 PM
hamptup
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stock or not your turbo will benefit from an aftermarket intercooler. Recovery time is quicker and will put less heat stress on the turbo over the long run. Especially in warmer climate states.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:46 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Intercooler isnt really a "performance part" as much as it is a "safety & reliability part"..its just cooling boost before your engine ingests it. If you live anywhere it reaches 100F+ in the summer.. you are doing your engine a great service by reducing IAT. As stated above, the stock one does a great job.. but cant cope with ambient temps over 100F very well at all.. its just not large enough to scrub off temps much when its that hot out. I would rather take +50f out of my IAT before my oil has to try to cope with the added heat..

Performance parts require tunes to realize benefit and proper function.. ie. injectors, turbo, downpipe..