Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain N14 Port Injection Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 10:45 AM
Skubasteve21
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N14 Port Injection Conversion

I have searched far and wide, and have found no one who actually discusses doing a Port Injection Conversion on a N14 engine. I was wondering if anyone has done one and if so how did it turn out and did it fix any of the N14 issues. If it hasn't been done then why not? Or am I crazy and people have figured out the n14 and I just dont read well.

It seems to me that everyone has their own ways of "fighting the carbon" and everyone has opinions of why no one else's ideas work. To me the main issue with carbon build up is direct injection, because there is never any valve cooling, never any fuel detergents hitting it, and as I have seen some point out that water/meth injection doesn't spray enough to actually stop just slow down buildup, and OCCs are a waste of money, and the only solution is learning how to take my intake off on a daily basis to clean the valves. Switching from direct to port injection would fix all of those problems, theoretically at least. I have not looked at my car to see how difficult this would be, but it seems like a fairly straight forward process. Even if you left the direct injection and went dual with sets of small injectors.

Please school me on how terrible of a mistake I have made in this assumption. I should also mention I have a 2009 Clubman S.

Last edited by Skubasteve21; 01-11-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:45 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
The biggest problem would be modifying the timing of when the injectors are open, which means ECU modifications.

On a Direct Injected engine, the injector opens while the intake valve is closed and the piston is coming up (the compression stroke), just before the plug fires. The pressure in the cylinder is much higher which is why the HPFP is necessary. On a Port Injection engine, the injector is open while the intake valve is open and the piston is moving down (intake stroke). So the injector timing would have to move by about 180 degrees, I don't know how much adjustment in the injector timing is possible with a tune but I doubt it is that much. I think that is the fundamental flaw in your idea.

You could get clever and swap the injector leads among cylinders and maybe that would get the timing in the ballpark for port injection, but I'm not going to volunteer to try it on my engine. Also you need to consider if the injectors would have to be changed, that would mean that the dwell time of the injectors, fuel rail pressure, etc. would have to be adjusted for port injection.

Last edited by squawSkiBum; 01-13-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:51 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
BTW, some manufacturers are doing engines with a combination of port and direct injection to get the valve cleaning benefit of port injection and the fuel efficiency and lower emissions of direct injection, of course the ECU needs to do the math of deciding how much fuel to put through each injector. Maybe if you did meth injection with a mix of meth and Techron.

Last edited by squawSkiBum; 01-13-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:25 AM
Anakist
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You could use water / meth port injection and not have to worry about retiming the fuel injectors. I did read somewhere about water compatible PWM controllable injectors but I can't remember where. That will be your biggest issue - getting enough water to clean the valves without flooding the cylinders with too much water.

James

Old 01-14-2017, 02:43 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
They solved most of the carbon build up issues with the N18 motor by reworking the PCV system.

Converting to port injection would be extreme.

At the end of the day, it's easier to walnut blast the valves once per year. It only takes a few hours.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 AM
Steven_RW
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We will be moving to add an extra 4 injectors that will be regular sequential port injectors. Expect they will work to keep the valves and ports clean.

Motec ECU will be needed. Or another solution of some sort but Motec sounds the easiest so far.

We haven't hit the limit of the standard fuel system yet but expect we will do soon enough.

RW

Old 01-17-2017, 08:48 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
they have add on port injection for N54's now, and have had them for a while.

I dont see pcv changes alone fixing valve carbon every time they say it's fixed, guess what it's not fixed. They would need to change cam timing too

Old 01-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Steven_RW
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi. Who is they?

N54 is the BMW engine. Is it fitted to mini anywhere?

Thx

Old 01-17-2017, 09:38 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven_RW
Hi. Who is they?
several companies, like fuelit's manifold combined with JB4 port injection controller.

bmw makes mini's and the motors I'm sure you know that. Like the n54, both are direct injection and suffer from the same carbon problem, along with every other new mini/bmw motor with direct injection.

Port injection is used on the n54 to go beyond fuel limits of the HPFP + upgraded in tank pump.

same basic principle if applied to the n18 or the new shared bmw engine, what is it the B48 now?

Old 01-17-2017, 03:00 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mega72
they have add on port injection for N54's now, and have had them for a while.

I dont see pcv changes alone fixing valve carbon every time they say it's fixed, guess what it's not fixed. They would need to change cam timing too
I think your right. The N18 has dual vanos compared to the single vanos of the N14. This allowed MINI to adjust timing and lift. This coupled with the PCV modifications has drastically reduced but not eliminated carbon build up.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:00 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 n18, Took my intake off @100k+ ....I didn't even waste my time blasting it before reinstalling
Had everything, bought the adapter ...there was a light coat of carbon that's it