Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Catless Downpipe Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 09:32 AM
sammcdade
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Catless Downpipe Advice

So i've decided to go catless with my downpipe. I currently have the stock DP and a Magnaflow catback exhaust (that sounds fantastic) on my r55 2011 Clubman.

I love the sound of my magnaflow exhaust, I just want it to be louder.

Will brand of catless downpipe matter if I want to maintain the same sound note, but increase loudness? Any advice will greatly be appreciated!

Old 11-04-2016, 06:17 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
When I put my downpipe on, it got louder but my pop-and-burble became more of a whipcrack. I very much enjoyed that while I waited for the rest of my exhaust to ship. Combined with the rest of the exhaust, I don't think the brand is going to make much difference. There's probably some difference, but I doubt it's noticeable.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:39 AM
smokeysevin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did y'all do to avoid the CEL? Just a tune?

Thanks,

Sean

Old 11-11-2016, 02:10 AM
edwkmho
2nd Gear
i have a Milltek catless DP and evolve-R tune to avoid the CEL

Old 12-19-2016, 08:16 AM
sammcdade
1st Gear
Just following up here. I bought the CNT catless downpipe on a cyber monday sale for $150 new. The install took about 4.5 hours with me and my buddy (longer than expected). Those heat shields are a nightmare to get off and you need extenders for your ratchets to get to many of the bolts. The clamp that holds the exhaust and downpipe together also was very difficult to get off and on.

All that said... It sounds amazing and I DEFINITELY feel a HP increase through the mids and highs! Next step is to ditch the JB+ and get a real tune.

Smokey -- I put an o2 spacer on and haven't seen a CEL yet.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:24 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
yeah those heat shields are a pain. If you're tempted to leave any of them off, don't. I did and the stupid thing rattles now. It's going back on when I get my latest ECS order.
For the exhaust clamp, I used a pair of punches matching the diameter of the fastener and kind of pried it open. Doesn't help with that little gasket in there, not sure how to keep that from shifting out of place. Maybe a small piece of tape?

So, glad you like the sound. I know I miss it! any more exhaust mods planned? downpipe-back maybe?

Old 12-24-2016, 03:31 PM
sammcdade
1st Gear
No more exhaust mods planned for now. Next step is a custom tune! Here's a before and after video of the downpipe swap. Let me know what you think.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:15 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,713 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Originally Posted by sammcdade
Just following up here. I bought the CNT catless downpipe on a cyber monday sale for $150 new. The install took about 4.5 hours with me and my buddy (longer than expected). Those heat shields are a nightmare to get off and you need extenders for your ratchets to get to many of the bolts. The clamp that holds the exhaust and downpipe together also was very difficult to get off and on.

All that said... It sounds amazing and I DEFINITELY feel a HP increase through the mids and highs! Next step is to ditch the JB+ and get a real tune.

Smokey -- I put an o2 spacer on and haven't seen a CEL yet.
Which spacer did you use?

Old 12-24-2016, 05:27 PM
sammcdade
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Which spacer did you use?
This spacer comes with 2 parts. I just used the straight one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 12-24-2016, 05:29 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by sammcdade
This spacer comes with 2 parts. I just used the straight one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks!

Old 02-12-2017, 08:27 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Are you still running the JB+ with the O2 spacer? How is your CEL situation? Still off?