Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Anybody actually installed and used the GIAC yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Galaxie500
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody actually installed and used the GIAC yet?

Any feedback on real world experience from customers?

Old 09-15-2004, 12:51 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, AMPR has. It's here under one of these threads. Maybe do a search for his posts.

Old 09-15-2004, 02:27 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Somehow, I recall that the only real life description was from a fella whose
car was used for testing. I too would be most interested in hearing from
others.

Old 09-15-2004, 03:50 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Herby74
Somehow, I recall that the only real life description was from a fella whose car was used for testing.
True. But it's in his car and he's driving with it every day.

Old 09-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Matra-Simca
Neutral
I drove down from NYC yesterday for an appointment with Helix. By the time I arrived, Eric just so happenned to be on the phone with GIAC. A year ago, I had him install the pulley, RDR swaybar and Mintex pads. I've been patiently waiting for this ECU upgrade like alot of other people and all I can say is, for the price, you can't go wrong.

The operation took approximately 15 minutes and Eric immediately drove it out for a test run, and came back with a very satisfied grim, "the car is very strong". After some discussion about the state of F1, he felt with just the chip and pulley upgrade my car was just as fast as a JCW (as you know, some cars come from the factory a little more stout than others). Well, that's quite an endorsement coming from him.

My initial reaction when first driving off was that, gee, doesn't do absolutely anything for the bottom end, which I sort of expected, but I thought just by massaging the gas pedal I could detect a slight difference. It was only when the car got up to 3500 RPM that the fun began. I had to be very careful on the way back on the NJ Turnpike as the car seems so eager to run now. All I can say is the acceleration is rather fierce and now I have to watch the speedometer and tach as they seem to run up in unison. I seldom run the car past 6000 RPM anyway, but the knowledge that the car seems to take on all comers at will is rather addicting and frustrating because to exploit the MIni's new found potential is a ticket waiting to happen. This thing pulls so strong now, simply forget about mileage and enjoy the fun. BTW, I have the stock intake and exhaust system. I'll probably go with a street Borla, but that's it, I'm done... All in all, very nice mod.

Todd

Old 09-15-2004, 06:23 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Matra-Simca,

If think if you ever do decide to add an upgraded intake and Borla exhaust you would maybe get more power on the low rpm end plus a bunch in mid range. Do you have stock wheels and runflats? Someday get some light wheels and non runflats and that would be a big improvement too.

Old 09-16-2004, 08:51 AM
AMPR
3rd Gear
While your results may vary, my thoughts on the 15% GIAC are: Can't wait for the 19% version of the GIAC.

Originally Posted by greatgro
True. But it's in his car and he's driving with it every day.

Old 09-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
That's the kind of reaction I've been waiting to see, Matra-Simca....... 'preciate it! Eric has installed a 15% pulley, swaybar and brake pads for me....... and my '02,two years old today, also has an intake and non-runflats. It's exciting to hear someone with a similar set-up who has such a glowing report on the GIAC chip. I'm convinced and really looking forward to having the same kind of extra response.

Do you have a short shifter? If not........you ought to.

Old 09-16-2004, 02:14 PM
AMPR
3rd Gear
Loaded w/the Alta SS w/custom Whalen shift ****, Alta 15%, GIAC, CAI, 62mm TB, Borla race exhaust, Bilstein PSS9's w/front & rear sways, front upper stress bar, Pilo racing rear upper stress bar, Alta rally light bar +++
Originally Posted by Herby74
Do you have a short shifter? If not........you ought to.

Old 09-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Matra-Simca
Neutral
Well, I did consider an intake quite a while ago but I had a chance to to ride with someone that had an Alta CAI and I can tell you, it simply does not suit my taste. It's too loud! The only sound I ever like comes from the car's rear and the street Borla has a nice blend of throatyness and quiet. I do, however, love the subdued and distinctive supercharger wail which I think BMW got just right. I need no more.

Eric stated that the GIAC will yield just as much power as most exhaust systems (little, in the scheme of things) but at less than half the cost. It's just a nice addition and rounds out the pulley install, which is probably how the car should have come out in the first place. For my taste, I think the 19% pully, with its better torque, would have been the way to go, but the issues surrounding belt durability and longevity was a red flag. I do a great deal of long-distance driving and I don't want to be concerned with a belt going in the middle of Wyoming.

I have the Whalen shift **** and outside the pulley, it's the best money I've spent. I flat out love the ****'s feel and shifting action, and not having a short shifter doesn't bother me the least.

A change of tires is in the future, too.

Todd

Old 09-16-2004, 02:38 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Todd,

I can appreciate your liking the stock SC sound more than the much louder Alta intake sound. Your options would be to drop in an aftermarket air filter such as a unifilter, alta drop in, green filter or K&N drop in as an alternative to the stock filter. Not much more noise but maybe a bit more performance.

Another option is the Pilo intake which isn't known for being excessively loud but you'd be wise to take another MCS with it installed out for a test drive first just to be sure. BMP intake is loud, my madness intake is a little loud. I'm sure the RDR and Dinan intakes are louder than stock.

For exhausts if you like quiet and refined then the JCW exhaust is really nice, the UUC is not bad but louder than stock and the Borla street is quite good -just a little louder than stock. Again, a test drive would be your reality check.

After having the upgraded exhaust and intake for quite a long time now I know that these added noises are not always something that is desireable to all owners. It's not like a loud audio system you can turn on and off. Imagine if your radio was on loud all the time when your ignition was on.

Thanks for making a very good point. Light wheels- yup- those are great stuff.
Dodge the potholes though!

Old 09-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
I don't like loud, but............I do like the sound produced by my Pilo intake.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:14 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Well, I won't have to ask this question any more.........just got home from
having the GIAC chip loaded at Helix. The increase in low end torque is very noticeable. There is a stronger idle and acceleration is much smoother.....each gear handles higher revs with much greater ease, so it can go higher without nearly as much strain. There is more hp in the mid-range, but that really wasn't my main interest. This is a worthwhile upgrade for improving driving satisfaction.......no doubt about it.

I believe this is my last major modification......no more need to improve performance for me........I love the car now JUST THE WAY IT IS!

ds/w, '02 MCS....Pilo CAI, Pilo ignition system, Helix 15% pulley, RDR rear sway bar, M7 device, Traction T/A V rated non-run flats, Greenstuff brake
pads, B&M short shifter, Whalen shift ****, silver M7 Ultimate grill and some other less important stuff.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
I've just gotta say that after a week of running with the GIAC chip........my car is so much better and so much more fun than before. It feels better
........sounds better.......everything is better. Remember how incredibly exciting it was driving in a new Mini? This is better!

Old 10-04-2004, 12:19 PM
911RSAmerica
2nd Gear
Did it help the Yo-Yo'ing?

I have 15% pulley with the Shark Software and still have the Yo-Yo surging.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
I never had a yo-yo.....you ask about that at Helix. I did have the stumble in 1st gear which was mostly fixed by v.36. Since the GIAC there is rarely any kind of hesitation.....the car just pulls straight away with smooth acceleration.