Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:00 PM
EDK13
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket exhaust

Hey everyone, I haven't visited this site for a while due to my internet outage. I'm just wondering if you guys will have any suggestion for an exhaust upgrade? Mine is a 04 MSC JCW... is it a good idea to give up the JCW exhaust? can I still replace the exhaust tip to the aftermarket exhaust?

thanks a lot
Ed

Old 09-14-2004, 10:37 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
EDK13,

First take a look at the sticky about exhausts in the performance:drivetrain forum.

Then decide if you want to go single or twin exhaust, and your price, looks etc.

Yes you can take the tips off the JCW exahaust and put them on the exhausts that are twin tipped.

The JCW kit exhaust may look good but doesn't really do that much for power. For those that like a mild increase in exhaust tone then it is very good plus you get the nice JCW tips and warranty.

If you take the tips off the JCW exhaust you sort of ruin it so no resale value once you do that. If you keep the JCW exhaust you can set it or store it and resale the aftermarket exhaust later if you like.

The exhaust mounting brackets are supposed to be a bit different for the 2004 model year compared to previous years so once you decide on an exhaust then ask the vendor if it will fit or can be modified.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:12 PM
darkfact
2nd Gear
I have the aggressive Borla exhaust on my 04 MCS. Has a nice throaty sound and improves flow over the stock (Not sure how much compared to the JCW exhaust?) Borla just released a new part # for 2004 models to compensate for the exhaust hangers, however, I have the old part # and it works fine (The inner most hanger on each muffler is not used, but causes no problems.) I think something like the Alta exhaust will yield even better performance as it's only a single side exhaust and I'm sure is a bit louder than the Borla.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:17 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
I still love my Borla Race even though my front resonator's faltered recently with a tinny rattle. It appears something inside is loose. I've attempted twice to contact Borla but have not received any replies My other problem is that I purchased this set from an internet vendor whom I've since forgotten who they are and have no papers to show. So even if Borla does come to bat, they may not honor my warranty without proof of purchase....Sh$t

That means a straight tube splice...can you say LOUDER

Old 09-14-2004, 01:16 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
I say don't give up the JCW exhaust. I know I am probably the only one saying that so far. You paid a lot for the exhaust, why do you want to give it up? I don't agree necessarily with the large increase of power going aftermarket. The dyno's have been sketchy, and there is very little confirmation on the output of the JCW compared with the other aftermarket exhausts. Most of the responses are based on people hearing from someone who heard from someone.... I personally like the JCW tips and the sound. You don't have to worry about drone or excessive noise. The quality is very good and it comes with a warranty. JCW spent a good amount of time evaluating different exhaust (I believe 16 of them), to come up with the overall feel.

Remember the JCW is not about the most performance per part. It's strong point is it's overall feel and the way that each part contributes to the whole. Besides, removing the exhaust, just lowered the value of the kit that you spent your hard earned money on. If you don't like the sound, then that may be a good reason, otherwise I say keep it. If you are looking for more power you may want to take a look at the extrude honed intake manifold that Randy Webb is selling. It is only $400 and gives about 6+ hp. Much more than an exhaust which would cost more and give you maybe 3-4 extra hp. On top of that the intake manifold is still the stock manifold that has just been honed, so your warranty will not be gone and the stock look of the system will still be retained.

Old 09-14-2004, 03:14 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dgszweda1
If you are looking for more power you may want to take a look at the extrude honed intake manifold that Randy Webb is selling. It is only $400 and gives about 6+ hp. Much more than an exhaust which would cost more and give you maybe 3-4 extra hp.
I'd think a cat-back would be capable of making more power than a honed intake manifold. Not that I think exhausts make a whole lot of power on these cars. But remember, if you're going to use Randy's numbers, use Randy's numbers. He has exhausts making 9-12hp so if the new intake manifold dynos at 6, it's actually half the power of an exhaust, not more.

Old 09-14-2004, 03:17 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
greatgo,

At best he has about 10hp, and that is above a stock exhaust. He indicated once that the JCW makes about 5hp. So at best, the $700 Miltek makes about 5hp more than the JCW. Those are using Randy's numbers. Add that to the fact that removing the exhaust ruins some of the value of the JCW, and an intake manifold is only $400 (almost half the Miltek) and using Randy's numbers agains makes more 1 more hp, plus doesn't ruin the value of the JCW, I think are compelling arguments.

I can't see why you would pay a fortune for the JCW and then go about ripping it out and spending more money for other things.

Old 09-14-2004, 03:34 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dgszweda1
At best he has about 10hp, and that is above a stock exhaust. He indicated once that the JCW makes about 5hp. So at best, the $700 Miltek makes about 5hp more than the JCW.
Right - forgot you were comparing it to the JCW, not stock. I also agree that if I got the JCW, I wouldn't be ripping things out or modding more heavily. If that's the case I can't see why you wouldn't go aftermarket to begin with to get a more power for a third of the cost.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:04 PM
darkfact
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I still love my Borla Race even though my front resonator's faltered recently with a tinny rattle. It appears something inside is loose. I've attempted twice to contact Borla but have not received any replies My other problem is that I purchased this set from an internet vendor whom I've since forgotten who they are and have no papers to show. So even if Borla does come to bat, they may not honor my warranty without proof of purchase....Sh$t

That means a straight tube splice...can you say LOUDER

I noticed a similar issue after I installed the Borla on my MCS. One of the exhaust hanger posts on the front resonator was slightly rubbing against the metal heat shield (Maybe a slight design miscalc.?) I put a rubber grommet over the post and the problem went away. Might be different than what you're experiencing, but just thought I'd mention that.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:31 PM
EDK13
2nd Gear
Thnx for everyone's input.. I m still thinking if I should get a aftermarket exhaust. I really luv my JCW. afterall.. if i want to go for more HP without voiding the warrenty... then I should wait for the JCW "add-on" for our old JCW kits (although I already hv the alta intake installed). I used to hv a modified WRX. I m jux feeling my 04 MINI isn't totally my car without some deep exhaust sound!!!! But now I m living in NYC....so a too "deep" exhaust sound will get me into lots of trouble.

Thanks once again for the inputs......hv fun motoring guys!!!

Ed

Old 09-15-2004, 12:44 PM
CooperSS
4th Gear
I bought my Magnaflow from a fellow club member after he gave himself a JCW kit fir Christmas. After the Magnaflow he couldn't stand the sound of the JCW, so he went to our local MINI fix em up shop and they took the resonator out of the stock JCW exhaust. He is happy with the sound of the system now, not as loud as the Magnaflow but more mellow & throaty than the stock JCW.