Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Jcw Ecu Upgrade On Regular S

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Luifer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jcw Ecu Upgrade On Regular S

i HAVE A COOPER S AND A FRIEND WHO WORKS FOR BMW TOLD ME THAT HE CAN INSTALL THE ECU UPGRADE OF THE JCK ON MY MCS.
I HAVE A 15% PULLEY AND A REMUS EXHAUST.

WOULD I HAVE NOTICEABLE PERFORMANCE GAINS. AND ALSO WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE JCW ECU TO THE ONES OUT THERE IN THE MARKET.

OH AND HE WOULD DO IT FOR FREE HEHEHEHEE

Old 09-12-2004, 03:31 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Luifer
i HAVE A COOPER S AND A FRIEND WHO WORKS FOR BMW TOLD ME THAT HE CAN INSTALL THE ECU UPGRADE OF THE JCK ON MY MCS.

WOULD I HAVE NOTICEABLE PERFORMANCE GAINS. AND ALSO WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE JCW ECU TO THE ONES OUT THERE IN THE MARKET.
The JCW kit ECU software assumes that you have:
Ported and polished cylinder head
Upgraded Supercharger with slightly less than 15% reduction pulley
JCW twin exhaust
Upgraded colder sparkplugs.

While you can do the ECU install, I don't think that it provides for much noticeable power gains like you'd find with UNIchip, Powerchip, GIAC, or other ECU upgrades.

See
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=30467

Last edited by minihune; 09-12-2004 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:43 PM
AMPR
3rd Gear
The Works ECU is supposedly designed to work specifically with the JCW kit. It certainly feels smoother but based on actual dyno results you'll see a Loss of about -10 hp. So, don't do it. I can assure you, you're better off with the stock MCS ECU.

If you want an upgraded ECU there are a number of options available. However, based on personal experience with the very first GIAC ECU, I think GIAC is the way to go.

AMPR

Originally Posted by Luifer

OH AND HE WOULD DO IT FOR FREE HEHEHEHEE

Old 09-13-2004, 12:39 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah AMPR had the JCW ECU on his modded MCS and it lost at least 10hp! Don't even think of running the JCW ECU unless you have the entire JCW kit.

Old 09-13-2004, 01:31 PM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AMPR
The Works ECU is supposedly designed to work specifically with the JCW kit. It certainly feels smoother but based on actual dyno results you'll see a Loss of about -10 hp. So, don't do it. I can assure you, you're better off with the stock MCS ECU.

If you want an upgraded ECU there are a number of options available. However, based on personal experience with the very first GIAC ECU, I think GIAC is the way to go.

AMPR
GIAC is always the way to go. I have lots of experience with Garrett and the guys at DynoSpot Racing who are a GIAC dealer in San Jose, CA. They all rock, and Garrett makes some killer products.

-mike