Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAE Shifter

  #1  
Old 05-24-2016, 07:27 PM
putttn
putttn is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spokane
Posts: 650
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CAE Shifter

Ordered the CAE shifter to increase the fun factor and wondered if any of you have one and what your experience has been.
 
  #2  
Old 05-25-2016, 12:35 PM
putttn
putttn is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spokane
Posts: 650
Received 1 Like on 1 Post


This is what a CAE looks like.
 
  #3  
Old 05-25-2016, 04:53 PM
BlwnAway's Avatar
BlwnAway
BlwnAway is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Arnold, MO.
Posts: 2,083
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
I think Chase may have one in Buddy, (it's similar anyway) didn't get to drive with it, but seemed really positive when I was riding and I think he likes it a lot.

The above is a super clean install, for something that should barely fit....
 
  #4  
Old 05-25-2016, 06:10 PM
putttn
putttn is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spokane
Posts: 650
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen a bunch of them at our local racing/fabrication shop. Haven't been able to chat with anyone who has one but the owner of the shop has installed quite a few of them and he said the fun factor really goes up with one installed. Only problem is they're so popular it's hard to get one. Made in Germany.
 
  #5  
Old 05-25-2016, 06:59 PM
BlwnAway's Avatar
BlwnAway
BlwnAway is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Arnold, MO.
Posts: 2,083
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
After seeing Chase's I was thinking about one, but his car is track stripped and I didn't know how it would look trimmed out, but that picture really gives me hope. The only thing that I could see getting used to is the overall height of the ****, but Chase said he really liked it that way for the track, just that much closer to the steering wheel.
For me it would be something for the fall at the earliest, the finishing touches for my car will take me at least into mid-late July with tuning, W/M & bottle testing not to mention the normal things it still simply needs (struts & tires).
Keep us advised if you do get one, I'd like to see what you think of it.

**OUCH**
Just looked at the website, with today's exchange rate, the Mini version is about $1500.00
OH Santa....
Crap.... I forgot that's been me for the last 35 yrs....
 

Last edited by BlwnAway; 05-25-2016 at 07:50 PM.
  #6  
Old 05-26-2016, 05:52 AM
putttn
putttn is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spokane
Posts: 650
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm excited to see how well it works. Hank at Advanced Auto Fab here in Spokane has done quite a few for the folks in the Northwest and he tells me that the shifter really ads to the fun factor of driving the car and is great for the track. Every time I'm at his place all I see is CAE shifters in just about every car there and he has a really large shop. The one's I've seen in the daily drivers have been tastefully done around the console area. I think they've done enough of them to know what and how to make it look decent. I asked him about the height and he said that's what makes it so fun because it's just a short drop from the wheel to the ****.
I'll be interested to see how your car progresses. Has the Sprintex worked well? I recall they were having some issues but they must have been all ironed out by now. I'm thinking of NOS as my after the CAE addition.
 
  #7  
Old 05-26-2016, 06:24 AM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning
ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 27,715
Received 556 Likes on 536 Posts
Nice sifter, we can get them also.
 
__________________

Have MINI questions? Need MINI answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
[email protected] | [email protected] | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172
  #8  
Old 05-26-2016, 11:49 AM
BlwnAway's Avatar
BlwnAway
BlwnAway is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Arnold, MO.
Posts: 2,083
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Nice sifter, we can get them also.
Excellent to know, thanks.
 
  #9  
Old 05-26-2016, 12:03 PM
BlwnAway's Avatar
BlwnAway
BlwnAway is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Arnold, MO.
Posts: 2,083
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by putttn View Post
I'm excited to see how well it works. Hank at Advanced Auto Fab here in Spokane has done quite a few for the folks in the Northwest and he tells me that the shifter really ads to the fun factor of driving the car and is great for the track. Every time I'm at his place all I see is CAE shifters in just about every car there and he has a really large shop. The one's I've seen in the daily drivers have been tastefully done around the console area. I think they've done enough of them to know what and how to make it look decent. I asked him about the height and he said that's what makes it so fun because it's just a short drop from the wheel to the ****.
I'll be interested to see how your car progresses. Has the Sprintex worked well? I recall they were having some issues but they must have been all ironed out by now. I'm thinking of NOS as my after the CAE addition.
Actually, I can't give you any updates on the Sprintex, I was still using the old unit when the valves in my head gave out and I decided to rebuild everything, it did leak at the seal like all the others, I just changed the oil in it frequently enough that I didn't have issues, I do how ever have a brand new updated unit ready to go in, including the vented filler bolt and the upgraded tensioner for the smaller pulleys. The car will finally be back together soon, motor is done and all I'm waiting on is the funds for the clutch (should be late June).

I guess I should do a build thread here also, for those who don't frequent the other sites.
 
  #10  
Old 05-26-2016, 02:15 PM
bravoleader's Avatar
bravoleader
bravoleader is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tigard, OR
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You get them for much less than $1,500.

http://www.hardmotorsport.com/cae-ul...-mini-r53-r56/
 
  #11  
Old 05-26-2016, 02:21 PM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning
ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 27,715
Received 556 Likes on 536 Posts
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES3131399/

let me know what other color you would like, red is nice.
 
__________________

Have MINI questions? Need MINI answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
[email protected] | [email protected] | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172
  #12  
Old 05-26-2016, 04:57 PM
BlwnAway's Avatar
BlwnAway
BlwnAway is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Arnold, MO.
Posts: 2,083
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Stop it you guys, I'll never get the car back together if you keep doing things like this.....
 
  #13  
Old 05-26-2016, 05:35 PM
putttn
putttn is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spokane
Posts: 650
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might as well get one because with all your mods and all you've done it will be the icing on the cake!!!
 
  #14  
Old 05-26-2016, 05:54 PM
BlwnAway's Avatar
BlwnAway
BlwnAway is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Arnold, MO.
Posts: 2,083
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Fine, after the Clutch and W/M ....
There...happy now....


Problem is...
You're absolutely right....

It would be right at home with the gauges.
 
  #15  
Old 05-26-2016, 07:52 PM
putttn
putttn is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spokane
Posts: 650
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you order one now it will probably take 8 wks to get it. You can't find one in the states. It will be just in time for your inaugural voyage!!!
 
  #16  
Old 06-14-2016, 03:32 PM
disgruntledcow
disgruntledcow is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NYC
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have one in my car, I'm debating getting the same kit for my Audi, it is that good. I love using it, so tight and precise, 0 slop or play.
 
  #17  
Old 06-24-2016, 05:35 AM
sevin
sevin is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,021
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
$1,500 for a shifter? What is it supposed to do? I'm confused.
 
  #18  
Old 06-24-2016, 09:16 AM
bavmotors
bavmotors is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Near Buffalo NY
Posts: 3,387
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sevin View Post
$1,500 for a shifter? What is it supposed to do? I'm confused.
it's a flawless shifter. Yea it's a bit pricey though.
 
  #19  
Old 06-24-2016, 10:17 AM
Zephyr1
Zephyr1 is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 270
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome shifter, sounds like! The one thing that bothers me is for a $1k+ unit, the external cable routing on the (reverse-lockout??) sleeve. For $1k I would expect an internal cable. Sort of like on mountain bike dropper posts.
 
  #20  
Old 06-26-2016, 10:56 AM
Gustav129's Avatar
Gustav129
Gustav129 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: North Atlanta
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a great shifter. I used to be an intern at said shop in Spokane. All of the Pro3 and SpecE46 cars have them. It automatically recenters between shifts, which is great because most road racing is done between 3rd and 4th gears. It's just a matter of slapping it forward and back for shifts.

It does take a little getting used to at first and they are very stiff with hardly any throw because the pivot is moved upward.


As for $1500, I don't know where that price is. HMS has them for $1065. I personally only buy form HMS, but that's because I built parts for them, and I autocrossed with Adam.
 

Last edited by Gustav129; 06-26-2016 at 11:02 AM.
  #21  
Old 06-26-2016, 11:05 AM
Gustav129's Avatar
Gustav129
Gustav129 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: North Atlanta
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlwnAway View Post
After seeing Chase's I was thinking about one, but his car is track stripped and I didn't know how it would look trimmed out, but that picture really gives me hope. The only thing that I could see getting used to is the overall height of the ****, but Chase said he really liked it that way for the track, just that much closer to the steering wheel.
For me it would be something for the fall at the earliest, the finishing touches for my car will take me at least into mid-late July with tuning, W/M & bottle testing not to mention the normal things it still simply needs (struts & tires).
Keep us advised if you do get one, I'd like to see what you think of it.

**OUCH**
Just looked at the website, with today's exchange rate, the Mini version is about $1500.00
OH Santa....
Crap.... I forgot that's been me for the last 35 yrs....
Ding Ding Ding. This is very important.... Less time to not have both hands on the wheel.
 
  #22  
Old 06-26-2016, 11:09 AM
sevin
sevin is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,021
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bavmotors View Post
it's a flawless shifter. Yea it's a bit pricey though.
Define "flawless". Not sure what else I'd want my shifter to do that it doesn't already do. Maybe make coffee in between shifts...
 
  #23  
Old 06-26-2016, 06:31 PM
bavmotors
bavmotors is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Near Buffalo NY
Posts: 3,387
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sevin View Post
Define "flawless". Not sure what else I'd want my shifter to do that it doesn't already do. Maybe make coffee in between shifts...
read:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...rboxes/?pdk=BQ
 
  #24  
Old 07-01-2016, 05:43 AM
putttn
putttn is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spokane
Posts: 650
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watch some of the videos on the shifter. Hank at Advanced in Spokane feels the fun factor is really enhanced with the addition of the shifter. I can see from the videos that I'm going to like it.
 
  #25  
Old 07-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Gustav129's Avatar
Gustav129
Gustav129 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: North Atlanta
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did AAF install it yet?
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAE Shifter


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.