North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-16/)
-   -   Drivetrain CAE Shifter (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/303145-cae-shifter.html)

putttn 05-24-2016 07:27 PM

CAE Shifter

Ordered the CAE shifter to increase the fun factor and wondered if any of you have one and what your experience has been.

putttn 05-25-2016 12:35 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...92b1b927f1.png

This is what a CAE looks like.

BlwnAway 05-25-2016 04:53 PM

I think Chase may have one in Buddy, (it's similar anyway) didn't get to drive with it, but seemed really positive when I was riding and I think he likes it a lot.

The above is a super clean install, for something that should barely fit....

putttn 05-25-2016 06:10 PM

I've seen a bunch of them at our local racing/fabrication shop. Haven't been able to chat with anyone who has one but the owner of the shop has installed quite a few of them and he said the fun factor really goes up with one installed. Only problem is they're so popular it's hard to get one. Made in Germany.

BlwnAway 05-25-2016 06:59 PM

After seeing Chase's I was thinking about one, but his car is track stripped and I didn't know how it would look trimmed out, but that picture really gives me hope. The only thing that I could see getting used to is the overall height of the knob, but Chase said he really liked it that way for the track, just that much closer to the steering wheel.
For me it would be something for the fall at the earliest, the finishing touches for my car will take me at least into mid-late July with tuning, W/M & bottle testing not to mention the normal things it still simply needs (struts & tires).
Keep us advised if you do get one, I'd like to see what you think of it.

**OUCH**
Just looked at the website, with today's exchange rate, the Mini version is about $1500.00
OH Santa....
Crap.... I forgot that's been me for the last 35 yrs....

putttn 05-26-2016 05:52 AM

I'm excited to see how well it works. Hank at Advanced Auto Fab here in Spokane has done quite a few for the folks in the Northwest and he tells me that the shifter really ads to the fun factor of driving the car and is great for the track. Every time I'm at his place all I see is CAE shifters in just about every car there and he has a really large shop. The one's I've seen in the daily drivers have been tastefully done around the console area. I think they've done enough of them to know what and how to make it look decent. I asked him about the height and he said that's what makes it so fun because it's just a short drop from the wheel to the knob.
I'll be interested to see how your car progresses. Has the Sprintex worked well? I recall they were having some issues but they must have been all ironed out by now. I'm thinking of NOS as my after the CAE addition.

ECSTuning 05-26-2016 06:24 AM

Nice sifter, we can get them also.

BlwnAway 05-26-2016 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ECSTuning (Post 4211605)
Nice sifter, we can get them also.

Excellent to know, thanks.

BlwnAway 05-26-2016 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by putttn (Post 4211592)
I'm excited to see how well it works. Hank at Advanced Auto Fab here in Spokane has done quite a few for the folks in the Northwest and he tells me that the shifter really ads to the fun factor of driving the car and is great for the track. Every time I'm at his place all I see is CAE shifters in just about every car there and he has a really large shop. The one's I've seen in the daily drivers have been tastefully done around the console area. I think they've done enough of them to know what and how to make it look decent. I asked him about the height and he said that's what makes it so fun because it's just a short drop from the wheel to the knob.
I'll be interested to see how your car progresses. Has the Sprintex worked well? I recall they were having some issues but they must have been all ironed out by now. I'm thinking of NOS as my after the CAE addition.

Actually, I can't give you any updates on the Sprintex, I was still using the old unit when the valves in my head gave out and I decided to rebuild everything, it did leak at the seal like all the others, I just changed the oil in it frequently enough that I didn't have issues, I do how ever have a brand new updated unit ready to go in, including the vented filler bolt and the upgraded tensioner for the smaller pulleys. The car will finally be back together soon, motor is done and all I'm waiting on is the funds for the clutch (should be late June).

I guess I should do a build thread here also, for those who don't frequent the other sites.

bravoleader 05-26-2016 02:15 PM

You get them for much less than $1,500.

http://www.hardmotorsport.com/cae-ul...-mini-r53-r56/

ECSTuning 05-26-2016 02:21 PM

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES3131399/

let me know what other color you would like, red is nice.

BlwnAway 05-26-2016 04:57 PM

Stop it you guys, I'll never get the car back together if you keep doing things like this.....
:lol:

putttn 05-26-2016 05:35 PM

You might as well get one because with all your mods and all you've done it will be the icing on the cake!!!

BlwnAway 05-26-2016 05:54 PM

Fine, after the Clutch and W/M ....
There...happy now....
:lol:

Problem is...
You're absolutely right....

It would be right at home with the gauges.

putttn 05-26-2016 07:52 PM

If you order one now it will probably take 8 wks to get it. You can't find one in the states. It will be just in time for your inaugural voyage!!!

disgruntledcow 06-14-2016 03:32 PM

I have one in my car, I'm debating getting the same kit for my Audi, it is that good. I love using it, so tight and precise, 0 slop or play.

sevin 06-24-2016 05:35 AM

$1,500 for a shifter? What is it supposed to do? I'm confused.

bavmotors 06-24-2016 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by sevin (Post 4220021)
$1,500 for a shifter? What is it supposed to do? I'm confused.

it's a flawless shifter. Yea it's a bit pricey though.

Zephyr1 06-24-2016 10:17 AM

Awesome shifter, sounds like! The one thing that bothers me is for a $1k+ unit, the external cable routing on the (reverse-lockout??) sleeve. For $1k I would expect an internal cable. Sort of like on mountain bike dropper posts.

Gustav129 06-26-2016 10:56 AM

It's a great shifter. I used to be an intern at said shop in Spokane. All of the Pro3 and SpecE46 cars have them. It automatically recenters between shifts, which is great because most road racing is done between 3rd and 4th gears. It's just a matter of slapping it forward and back for shifts.

It does take a little getting used to at first and they are very stiff with hardly any throw because the pivot is moved upward.

As for $1500, I don't know where that price is. HMS has them for $1065. I personally only buy form HMS, but that's because I built parts for them, and I autocrossed with Adam.

Gustav129 06-26-2016 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by BlwnAway (Post 4211515)
After seeing Chase's I was thinking about one, but his car is track stripped and I didn't know how it would look trimmed out, but that picture really gives me hope. The only thing that I could see getting used to is the overall height of the knob, but Chase said he really liked it that way for the track, just that much closer to the steering wheel.
For me it would be something for the fall at the earliest, the finishing touches for my car will take me at least into mid-late July with tuning, W/M & bottle testing not to mention the normal things it still simply needs (struts & tires).
Keep us advised if you do get one, I'd like to see what you think of it.

**OUCH**
Just looked at the website, with today's exchange rate, the Mini version is about $1500.00
OH Santa....
Crap.... I forgot that's been me for the last 35 yrs....

Ding Ding Ding. This is very important.... Less time to not have both hands on the wheel.

sevin 06-26-2016 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by bavmotors (Post 4220074)
it's a flawless shifter. Yea it's a bit pricey though.

Define "flawless". Not sure what else I'd want my shifter to do that it doesn't already do. Maybe make coffee in between shifts...

bavmotors 06-26-2016 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by sevin (Post 4220533)
Define "flawless". Not sure what else I'd want my shifter to do that it doesn't already do. Maybe make coffee in between shifts...

read:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...rboxes/?pdk=BQ

putttn 07-01-2016 05:43 AM

Watch some of the videos on the shifter. Hank at Advanced in Spokane feels the fun factor is really enhanced with the addition of the shifter. I can see from the videos that I'm going to like it.

Gustav129 07-23-2016 04:59 PM

Did AAF install it yet?