Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain How is this for a mod list?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 07:58 PM
minispilot
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is this for a mod list?

How is this for a mod list? This is what I have planned.

$120 Pulley: 17% (still undecided on which belt, could go for suggestions :smile: )
$200 Intake: Helix LARGE intake
$600 Intercooler: Larger top-mount intercooler (still looking for the $600 one )

NO ECU (until one comes out specially designed for the 17% and imposes a LOWER redline than stock)
NO EXHAUST (maybe a one-ball later)

Current mods are:
A/F ratio Guage
Boost Guage
OP and OT guages
Intercooler in/out temp guages
Hsport springs and 19mm bar
Stock 16" (MUCH lighter than 17") wheels
Toyo Proxes T1-s 215/40-16
Hsport rear adjustable links (all 4)
RDR Camber plates

Mods for autocross:
Scroth 4-pt harness
Kuhmo V700 Victoracers in 225/50-15
Borbet 15" wheels (light enough to throw with one hand )

This mini s is used mainly for daily driving but is a VERY frequent autocross competitor (top of the class), and will see some HPDE in the future but not many.

I think this setup will give me what I want on the street for messing with the big boys while still giving me a reliable driver. I also want the pulley because of the additional power in the lower RPM range for autocross (hopefully the 2nd to 1st downshift will no longer be needed). I think the larger intercooler is the perfect thing to keep the higher air temps from the 17% in check, not to mention a nice little boost while playing on the freeway

What do ya'll think?

Randy: Can you do this for me at the next CA pulley party? Estimate?

Old 08-10-2004, 08:06 PM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Nice list of mods man.I've been wanting a pulley for awhile now, I'm almost done waiting.
Aren't you in the Bay Area?

Old 08-10-2004, 08:12 PM
minispilot
2nd Gear
Yes, I am in the SF bay area. I think I PM'd you a couple weeks ago.

You should come out to an autocross and I'll give you a fun little ride. The car will oversteer nicely and all it needs is a little more grunt.

Old 08-10-2004, 08:25 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gauges up the wazoo!!! I'd be curious to see where you mounted all of them . Good for you.

You might be waiting a while for an ECU designed for the 17%. And to be honest, you should want one tailored to all of your power-enchancing mods (not just the pulley per se). At this point, the UNIChip offers such. I got it for primarily that forward-looking purpose. If ever a different size pulley becomes a serious option for me, or a turbo or different SC enters the picture (these look to be a reality in the not so distant future), the UNIChip is capable of dialing it all in. Yeah it's a couple hundred bucks more expensive, but it can evolve with future mod options saving on subsequent ECU purchases. There are other selling points that are unique as well...

Please show where you have those 6 gauges mounted!

Old 08-10-2004, 10:53 PM
minispilot
2nd Gear
The A/F and Boost are going by the tach (not installed yet). The OP/OT are in the factory guage pod below the stereo/climate control. The Intercooler temp is mounted to the euro parcel shelf as well as an additional 12V power source.

I will take some pics next time I have the camera out.

Well from what ive read the intercooler should actually ofer more performance than the UniCHip. I also want an ECU that can limit the revs to the same or lower than stock so I don't have to worry about spinning the blower past its specs and creating extra heat.

I know the UNi can be re-tuned but there is a fee for that and I would have to drive a good 2 hours each time (which can be a good thing ) I need to have it re-tuned. I am seriously thinking of getting this "$200" ECU setup. The fact that he will burn new maps for free and as many times as I want with a 1 day turnaround is a BIG plus for me.

So does anyone know where this $600 intercooler is? I can only find the one on Webb motorsports for a grand .........

TonyB:
I am in San Mateo county and am looking for an installer if the Webb pulley party doesn't happen soon. Do you know of anyone in the area?

Old 08-10-2004, 11:41 PM
DDTUNG
2nd Gear
Get the 17% pulley and intake from Helix, large intercooler from GRS, and ECU software from MTH(tell Franz you have the 17% and he'll know what to send you) and you should be all set.

DDTUNG

Old 08-10-2004, 11:51 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure, and don't hold me to it, but I think the UNIChip can be used to limit the RPMs. I actually want to see if I can tweak the idle RPM with it as I get a slight vibration at the factory setting, but I'm cool just a tad bit higher...

If you want an IC really soon, the best price, and with good numbers provided, try these guys:

http://www.grsmotorsport.co.uk

This equates to a little over 700 bucks, then shipping... You also might want to ring Peter at M7 as he might have something up his sleeve.

You'll certainly get a cooler charge with a more efficient IC. Further tuning thereafter to get the ideal a/f ratio would be desirable, but in your case, not exactly practical (dyno time). My plan is to only dyno tune when I'm "done." And thereafter do so again only if I were to change-out the SC, or introduce a turbo, or something major along those lines - not an frequent occurence...

It does appear that Randy will make a 3rd appearance here in about 5 weeks. If not, there are some local guys, but no one that I know. If you post in the Nor Cal section, I'm sure you can get some leads. If you can wait a month, Randy will take care of you... Best of luck to you!

Old 08-11-2004, 03:13 AM
minispilot
2nd Gear
Thanks for the link to GRS. Their intercooler actually comes out to $550 before shipping and I cant imagine shipping ove $50 ESPECIALLY for an aluminum product. Aluminum radiators are featherlight so im sure this will be even more so.

Does anyone know if Franz can set the RPM limiter to a lower than stock level. I am really concerned with the extra rpms the blower would see with the pulley. I also think that the lower RPM's would also help prevent the belt from breaking like so many have already done.............

If I want to rev high i'll just drive the E30 M3. 9000rpms is bliss

Old 08-11-2004, 03:38 AM
DDTUNG
2nd Gear
I have the 17% with stock belt and GRS IC. You will need the GRS diffuser which is another 100 quid. Franz can easily change the rev limit but he usually changes it up, not down. I don't think you need to worry about belt breakage unless you use the 19% on the track. Besides, the human rev limiter(your ears) works just as good.:smile:

DDTUNG

Old 08-11-2004, 04:28 AM
Teampajn
4th Gear
The stock supercharger is rated at over 17,000 rpm's. Which is faster than even a 19% pulley. You should not have any problems with the supercharger handling the 17%pulley.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:19 AM
miniraider
3rd Gear
please post pictures after all guages are instaled , would love to see them.:smile:
all my mods are under the hood.
alta 15% pulley ,K&N cai, M7 thermostad, springs & M7 device,H- sport rear sway bar, borla sport exhuast.
next thinking about the TB or breaks.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:56 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind that the pulley will put you in a much harder autocross class. I forget which one but I think it'll put you in a class where the MINI doesn't have a shot.

Old 08-11-2004, 04:38 PM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the pulley puts you in SM. Tough class with modified M3's and Subaru Wrx Sti's. Not a chance to win, but makes for a fun drive.

Old 08-11-2004, 04:41 PM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minispilot
Yes, I am in the SF bay area. I think I PM'd you a couple weeks ago.

You should come out to an autocross and I'll give you a fun little ride. The car will oversteer nicely and all it needs is a little more grunt.
Thanks for the offer.....when is the next Autocross session going down, I'm there.

Old 08-11-2004, 04:41 PM
minispilot
2nd Gear
Ok so I have heard from one person that the blower RPM's are nothing to worry about even with a 19%. Can anyone else back this up? If it's true then that would change my plans as far as the ECU goes.

Oh yeah, I forgot my brake mods as well:

Painted calipers (10hp)
Zimmerman Drilled rotors ( I know )
The first set of Porterfield R4S pads ever made for the mini ( I was prototype hehe)
Stoptech SS brake lines
Super Blue racing fluid

I had the EBC greenstuff and those pads suck. Dusty, Noisy, and they fade.

Old 08-12-2004, 05:33 AM
samawil
5th Gear
As far as s/w goes, maybe you should look into the ApexI fuel management system...this way you can dyno tune your car, and just like with the nichip have more than one "mode" street and autoX or subtle and aggressive...etc...