Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain PSA Warning about modifying PCV system.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 12:29 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PSA Warning about modifying PCV system.

Some of you know who I am, some of you don't. Hopefully those who do can shed light on my credibility. I have had my R56 S PCV system modified for many years. Passenger PVC blocked with driver side vented to atmosphere. I know many of you have a similar setup but with the driver side attached to a catch can then vented to atmosphere. My advice is to immediately reconnect it to a vacuum source.

This was concluded after having issues with oil consumption. Exaggerated due to my built engine. The issue is the pressure gradient created in-between the valve cover/crank and the intake manifold. When the passenger PCV is blocked, during casual driving on intake stroke the piston and intake track has roughly -12 PSI while the valve cover and crank are roughly at atmosphere. This was causing oil to be forced through valve seals (which are pretty new) This was found out by looking at my valves, they still had carbon build up even with the PCV system being fully disconnected. By having the passenger side or driver side hooked up the pressure gradient is basically eliminated.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:15 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
I gotta agree with Mnipwr. I've been fighting oil consumption for a couple years, and only recently fixed it. I added a vacuum check valve between the intake manifold and passenger side PCV outlet --- after the catch can (it's a dual and both sides are connected).

With my "built engine" and it's high boost, the PCV system gets blown out without a check valve. I still don't have a system to maintain good crankcase pressure differential under boost, but I'm working on it. For as little as I use boost, I can live with insignificant increases in crankcase pressure. The main thing is --- my oil consumption has been minimized to 1 qt per oil change --- about 5K miles.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:38 AM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I still have my driver side vented so hopefully when I'm driving hard/fast under boost the draft tube effect still works. I might hook up my boost gauge to check. So far pushing 20psi the stock flap seal has held up.

After just one day the car is idling better and smells better.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:26 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I brought my mini in to get the valves clean, They called the next day and said my valve cover was defected and was not a warranty item due to milage. So I had to take one in the butt , but....lol I dropped it off to EuroTech a few days later and he said it was an upgraded valve cover. I have not looked into this but it might be something to chase down.

At this point with all the BS of how to do a Evac system , I'm going to go electric and do some testing to see if it is possible to get some "free" help taping into the exhaust.
I ordered 2 boost gauges and plan on driving around with them "T" into the passage and drivers side and actually see what happens on decel , excel and boost. Then tap a few places in the exhaust and see if I can come close to the readings. Then the electric pump only has to handle the idling and cruising at least.
I just want the vapors/mist out of my intake. Oil has a lower ignition point and pre ignites the fuel causing lower octane and poor ignition.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:44 AM
cantcode86
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just removed the passenger side block off. I was pushing oil oil out from somewhere. I was running down the passenger side of the motor. I couldn't see where it was coming from but it was above the alt and not coming from the valve cover. As soon as I put it back stock with the catch can the leak stopped. I'm very reluctant to believe it's gone.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I purchased a BSH OCC and never installed it, I knew that blocking off the passenger side PCV port was going to cause some type of unseen side effect. Excessive crankcase pressure and oil in the intake tract, that oil was just going somewhere else. Uneven crankcase pressure, I've been saying to all that will listen to get rid of their OCC and unblock the PCV port.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:45 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm not an R56 guy, but what about looking into the RX Performance setup?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rformance.html