Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain MC Intake Install Today

Old 07-24-2004, 06:54 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MC Intake Install Today

Well, I bought a used Moss MINI intake from Yeagy for my 2003 MC and had debated about when to install it--whether I wanted to do it before or after my upcoming 22,000 mile servicing. I decided I had waited long enough and bit the bullet. It was kinda scary, but was pretty easy. I used the downloadable Moss MINI instructions, and ran into some minor problems, so I retook the pictures. Anyhow, I will post them here in case anyone else plans to do one.

My impressions are OMG, OMG, OMG. After months of reading about the different intakes--whether to spend $100 or $300 to gain a few horsepower, I was stunned that my intake makes my MINI Growl now. I feel it most at low RPM's. Of course I'm not sure if it's more powerful, but the sound is louder and more aggressive, which gives the impression there is more power. But hey, I'm not complaining! Pics coming soon.

Richard

Old 07-24-2004, 10:27 PM
OctaneGuy
Ok here's the article.

http://www.littlemini.us/technical/intake/index.asp

And some pics!

The BEFORE of a completely STOCK MINI

The AFTER

The ICKY!!!

The Tools I used

Total Installation time for me, having never removed a bolt on the inside of my engine compartment: 1 Hour.

I'm sure Randy does it in 10 minutes! The toughest part was just figuring out how to remove the OEM Air Filter Box.

Now my car Roars at low RPM's, and Growls when I rev the engine. Ohhhhhh, it is soooooooooooooooooo nice. I love it!!!

Old 07-25-2004, 02:06 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice, and that link to your write up on the DIY is excellent!!!

I have the same intake on my MC...but only in blue. I also have the Miltek exhaust that Randy installed just over a month ago...what a great sound with the 2 combined...not raspy at all, and not so loud that it is overly offensive. I feel it is a perfect set up. That Moss intake is a great option, and very reasonably priced.

Looks great......job well done!!!

here are some other shots of my engine bay, with 2 different color schemes

this was my red contrasting phase

but then I came to my senses and went with a blue scheme, with painted engine and batery covers...I also now have all blue engine caps like they were red in the previous pic...

cheers
jon
jon@webbmotorsports.com

Last edited by 03Indigo; 07-25-2004 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:19 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
03Indigo,

That milltek exhaust was for an MCS or an MC? Your pictures are for an MC but the Milltek is for an MCS.

Also will this Moss intake fit onto the throttlebody of an MCS if the snorkel is removed? This would make for an easy Hot air intake that is not too jumbo sized. Anybody do that? Put an MC intake on an MCS? How about the small hose? Does it have a place to connect to on an MCS?

Old 07-25-2004, 04:13 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
The Miltek is for the MC...I have the prototype, hehehe. I have pictures I can upload later for that...just don't have access to them here at work.

As for the hot air intake on a MCS and fitting the Moss intake, well, won't that bypass your SC? What would be the point of that? I believe there is a hose adapter for the small hose on the MCS, you can buy any silicone hose in the color you want, at that size, and retro fit it on to the intake for the MCS. Like with the Alta CAI, there is an inlet for the smaller hose, just replace the black portion with any color you want to match. Like if you got a red hose Alta CAI, then you can get a red silicone smaller hose to replace the black. I simply picked up a hose kit at Pep Boys because I needed many different sizes of hoses not only for my MC, but also for my Audi, I replaced my Bipass valves and intake hoses for the 2 turbos...and I wanted it to all match...same blue and silver themes between the 2 cars.

Hope that helps.
cheers
jon
jon@webbmotorsports.com

Old 07-25-2004, 07:14 AM
LilRedMini
3rd Gear
03Indigo,

I would really like to see the pictures of the Milltek. Randy said he was going to post them on his site but never did. I finally stopped waiting for the pictures when I found a really good deal on a sligtly used Borla. I still would like to see the pictures though.

Thanks.

Old 07-25-2004, 07:26 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
OK, here is the only shot at the moment I have of the MC Miltek Catback system. The car is on our lift. It is currently still at the shop, and I will not be back there until Tuesday when I can get more shots for everyone, and I will start a new thread for it. The exhaust is clean, excellent fit and finish, and wonderful sound. In this shot, it is a bit dirty, and has been heat cycled and run though several AutoX events in HStock. I have also added another shot of my engine bay with all the blue do-hickies

and now the engine stuff again

Old 07-25-2004, 07:45 AM
asodestrom
6th Gear
Nice install Octaneguy.

Hang on to your stock setup. I don't think the Moss is CARB approved for California. If you get checked, or when you need to get is smogged in the future, you will need to put the stock one back on.

Old 07-25-2004, 07:53 AM
OctaneGuy
Thanks Astra! Yep, you're right it's not. I got smogged last year when I brought my Cooper in to CA, so it'll be awhile--I hope! I'm not sure how I'm going to put the stock one back. Getting that hose off the throttle body was a PAIN! Wonder if I can just remove that permanent clamp, and slide the hose on, maybe with a hose clamp or something as a temporary install. (Hey, a light bulb goes off in my head! Think I just answered my own question.)

Richard

Originally Posted by asodestrom
Nice install Octaneguy.

Hang on to your stock setup. I don't think the Moss is CARB approved for California. If you get checked, or when you need to get is smogged in the future, you will need to put the stock one back on.

Old 07-25-2004, 07:56 AM
OctaneGuy
Your welcome!!! Ohhhhhhhhhhhh 03Indigo, now why did you have to go posting pics of the blue Moss Intake???

Now I see how MUCH better it looks. Definitely BLUE all the way, for the hoses too. Hahahaha, ok that's a future upgrade for me.

What oil do you use for cleaning your filter? I got the K&N oil and it has a red dye. I would assume that on a blue filter it'll become purple or something??

Great info on the Milltek!
Woooohooo, nice job on the engine/battery covers too. Nice!!! Hmmm, got my brain thinking now. LOL

Richard

Originally Posted by 03Indigo
Nice, and that link to your write up on the DIY is excellent!!!

I have the same intake on my MC...but only in blue. I also have the Miltek exhaust that Randy installed just over a month ago...what a great sound with the 2 combined...not raspy at all, and not so loud that it is overly offensive. I feel it is a perfect set up. That Moss intake is a great option, and very reasonably priced.

Looks great......job well done!!!

here are some other shots of my engine bay, with 2 different color schemes

this was my red contrasting phase

but then I came to my senses and went with a blue scheme, with painted engine and batery covers...I also now have all blue engine caps like they were red in the previous pic...

cheers
jon
jon@webbmotorsports.com

Old 07-25-2004, 08:14 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Richard, yeah, I was like you in the beginning, exact same intake, then I sold it after I saw the red pipe on a red MC...so I then had to do the blue thing. I have not had my filter in long enough to clean it yet, but I will more than likely use the same set up you use. there are other filter cleaning systems out there that don't use red oils, but not sure what they are. Believe it or not, my '03 MC only has about 8500 miles on it, and only about 1500 miles on that blue filter.

If you want info on how to paint the engine covers, I did the work myself, as well as the work on my Audi, so I can fill you in on how to do it and what I used.

Hopefully we will have more info for everyone on the Miltek, like HP and Torque gains, but with setting up the new shop, we have not exactly had the chance to get in another dyno run on my car. I do know the Miltek is outstanding quality, fantastic low sound, but not too loud...similar to the moss intake sound, but all through the range, and also at idle, where you hear the moss intake usually only under hard acceleration....so now I have the sound no matter how I am driving the car, easy or hard.

Again, your write up that you provided for the install is top notch, well done Richard, and thanks for sharing with everyone!!!!

cheers
jon
jon@webbmotorsports.com

Old 07-25-2004, 10:54 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Looks good guys!

Old 07-25-2004, 12:01 PM
erik808
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Of course I'm not sure if it's more powerful, but the sound is louder and more aggressive, which gives the impression there is more power. But hey, I'm not complaining!
I feel exactly the same about my BMP/Promini! Keep motoring hard, OctaneGuy!

Old 07-25-2004, 05:10 PM
OctaneGuy
'03 with 8500 miles???? tsk tsk tsk.. JK of course. I just came back from a run in San Diego today--ugh that was 260 miles round trip--i just crossed 22,000 miles now. Of course, my car is both a commuter and fun car for me, so that's why.

re: Paint cover info
yeah, I'd like to know. PM or email me if you can, I'd love to know.

re: Miltek
I got a chance to hear one on an S today, belonging to Earl formerly SCURVES now 10850CS or something like that---can never remember. Sounded pretty cool. I recorded some cool sounds of the engine--actually I recorded the meet today, so I'll probably post some clips, along with the engine sounds.

Thanks for the nice words about my writeup. Much appreciated. :smile:

re: Erik808
Thanks!!! From the sound of things, if I want to enjoy my intake, I must ONLY Motor hard from now on--until I get can exhaust!

re: DiD
Thanks!!!

Richard

Richard, yeah, I was like you in the beginning, exact same intake, then I sold it after I saw the red pipe on a red MC...so I then had to do the blue thing. I have not had my filter in long enough to clean it yet, but I will more than likely use the same set up you use. there are other filter cleaning systems out there that don't use red oils, but not sure what they are. Believe it or not, my '03 MC only has about 8500 miles on it, and only about 1500 miles on that blue filter.

If you want info on how to paint the engine covers, I did the work myself, as well as the work on my Audi, so I can fill you in on how to do it and what I used.

Hopefully we will have more info for everyone on the Miltek, like HP and Torque gains, but with setting up the new shop, we have not exactly had the chance to get in another dyno run on my car. I do know the Miltek is outstanding quality, fantastic low sound, but not too loud...similar to the moss intake sound, but all through the range, and also at idle, where you hear the moss intake usually only under hard acceleration....so now I have the sound no matter how I am driving the car, easy or hard.

Again, your write up that you provided for the install is top notch, well done Richard, and thanks for sharing with everyone!!!!

cheers
jon
jon@webbmotorsports.com

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 07-25-2004 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:46 PM
OctaneGuy
Ok, here is the intake and see some VacuCam Clips!

Just for clarification, I was not speeding here, but I WAS accelerating hard.

Also I apologize for the lousy audio in the QT movie. Lots of artifacting going on due to bandwidth. The WM9 sound much better.

Details:
2003 Cooper
Stock Exhaust
Only Mod (Moss MINI Intake)

Windows Media 9
http://store.northamericanmotoring.c...cucam_pass.wmv

Quicktime 6
http://store.northamericanmotoring.c...cucam_pass.mov

Old 07-26-2004, 09:33 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Richard, those clips are cool....our cars sound like V8's almost, hehehe. so much different than the wine of the super chargers.

Anyway, sent you a PM regarding the painting process. Let me know if you have any other questions.

cheers
jon

Old 07-26-2004, 09:52 PM
OctaneGuy
Oh definitely sounds like a V8. My wife heard it for the first time today. She's like, "why would you want to make your car louder? It's so noisy now!" And I'm just smiling--"I like it that way!"

Very different from the SC, but equally as cool I think. =)

Thanks for the feedback!

re: Painting
Thanks so much. I read it today, just didn't have time to reply! It was very informative---and hey I didn't mind seeing pics of a non MINI!

Richard

Richard, those clips are cool....our cars sound like V8's almost, hehehe. so much different than the wine of the super chargers.

Anyway, sent you a PM regarding the painting process. Let me know if you have any other questions.

cheers
jon

Old 07-26-2004, 10:16 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Yeah, I love the sound too, it really turns heads. It sounds awesome in the parking garage of the hospital I work at, I think I freak people out when I come around a corner, they look like they were expecting a Suburban or something, but no, just a MINI, hehehe. here are some shots of the engine bay of my Audi Allroad, a 2.7 liter, twin turbo motor, boosted up to 307hp and 366 lb/ft of torque...that does not include the big brake kit, rims and tires, swaybars (35mm in the front, hehe) and computer adjusted airbag suspension. some wagons haul groceries, mine hauls A$$, bwaahahaha

the before shot

the after shot

well, enough of the off topic stuff, hehehe, but I love to share. Good luck with your engine covers, make sure to document for everyone, cuz I am too lazy to do that.

cheers
jon

Old 07-26-2004, 10:25 PM
OctaneGuy
Yeah it really does turn heads. Today, I had the wife in the car, and my brother in law, and was at a stop light that I normally pull hard from. It's a left turn onto a lightly traveled street(it's the same street of the video clip). So I proceeded to do that, but just as I began building up the revs, I noticed a cop had just pulled over another car on the side of the road, and so I quickly chopped the throttle. A bit too late, they were both looking at me.

Nothing happened though--maybe they were expecting a mustang or something.

Love your pics! What a difference in the Before and After! Great job!

If I do paint my interior pieces, you can count on me doing a How To as well!

Thanks!

Richard

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 07-26-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:55 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
wow...that video clip was awesome...it is way louder! cool! I'm going to to turn off the computer and walk away right now before I end up ordering one!

Old 07-28-2004, 12:16 PM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
awesome

love the sound of the exhaust. thanks for posting the movies in quickti9me as well nakes viewing a lot quicker for us apple users.
Thanks,
ben

Old 07-28-2004, 01:05 PM
OctaneGuy
You're welcome. I'm sure that was just mistyping there, but that's an intake sound only. The exhaust is the OEM Cooper exhaust.

Np about doing QT as well.
Richard

Originally Posted by mybroscoop
love the sound of the exhaust. thanks for posting the movies in quickti9me as well nakes viewing a lot quicker for us apple users.
Thanks,
ben

Old 07-28-2004, 02:34 PM
OctaneGuy
I thought I'd post some comments after having since put about 500 miles on my new intake.

The growl and roar is magnificent. It actually encourages me to shift later--6000 instead of 5000 rpms now--just so I can hear the roar!

I filled up my gas tank yesterday and reset the computer. Since I've got the NAV, I can view 2 simultaneously. So I reset one counter, and left the other which was before the intake. It is normally showing 24.5 mpg. Amazingly, after about 45 miles, the one after the intake is now showing 29.5 mpg. Hmmm, I'm going to have to do more driving. Seems too good to be true to be getting better gas mileage while having even more fun.

The car doesn't seem to bog down as much when I shift at 2,000 rpm. Used to be if I took a hard right turn, and stayed in 3rd gear, the car would bog down until the revs came up. It SEEMS there is a bit more power, or that it bogs down less. Of course, it might just be the wonderful sound it's making that's masking that. The power of the mind!!

I'm wondering if there is a relationship between the sound of the intake and better gas mileage? When I stomp hard on the gas, the intake roars. However, if I'm gentle, I can drive so that it sounds a lot like OEM, with very minimal intake noise. I'm wondering if I drove without any intake roar, whether I would get better gas mileage or not--that is use the intake sound as sort of an alarm to tell me to back off if I want to save gas?

I have the stumble, and it feels less noticeable when I'm accelerating hard. That is, I still feel it, but it seems to impact the car less. Not sure though.

Richard

Old 07-29-2004, 07:29 PM
115hp
5th Gear
OK, here is the only shot at the moment I have of the MC Miltek Catback system. The car is on our lift. It is currently still at the shop, and I will not be back there until Tuesday when I can get more shots for everyone, and I will start a new thread for it. The exhaust is clean, excellent fit and finish, and wonderful sound.
Looking forward to the pics and new thread. I am very interested in this exhaust for my MC.

I also have a question about the intake. Does it rub against the bonnet insulation? It seems that most intakes do.

Last edited by 115hp; 07-29-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Roy2424
Neutral
Hey Guys, I am wondering if any of you have tried to fabricate a legitimate cold-air intake? I finished mine up today (but haven't been for a spin yet) and I am curious if anyone else has done one. Also, could someone help me out with uploading pictures?

Later

Roy
04 SG/B Cooper

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain MC Intake Install Today