Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain CAI question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 03:31 AM
rob_dee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI question

As I'm sure this question has been asked many of times throughout the forum, finding the answer is rather hard. I'm looking to hear from all you people with CAI. Simply want to know what one you have and why you decided to go with it. This is my first mini and I wanna make sure I get as much info as I can on things before purchase. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2014, 05:31 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2 reasons for me

1.) Supercharger noise... oh a wodnerful note it sings

2.) Washable filter

other than that, they are preety much for looks. no real performance gains, although with an exhaust i felt like it was a bit more responsive, didnt feel any faster

it easy enough to make your own with a K&N universal filter, the CAI box is actually mostly useless since we have an intercooler too cool the incoming air, and the HAI (Hot air intake) has been tested (for the better) in low end scenarios ie. the street

im sure you can do a search and find that post

Old 05-29-2014, 05:35 AM
rob_dee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
2 reasons for me 1.) Supercharger noise... oh a wodnerful note it sings 2.) Washable filter other than that, they are preety much for looks. no real performance gains, although with an exhaust i felt like it was a bit more responsive, didnt feel any faster it easy enough to make your own with a K&N universal filter, the CAI box is actually mostly useless since we have an intercooler too cool the incoming air, and the HAI (Hot air intake) has been tested (for the better) in low end scenarios ie. the street im sure you can do a search and find that post
So your saying you went with the k&n? I heard you hear the supercharger wine a big more with a CAI and I figured there was minimal gains but sound is good lol.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:40 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
the sound is fantastic, i got the alta, wanted to try a foam filter.

and you can hear the SC outside the car as well clearly, my buddy always knew i was coming down the street, cause he would hear the SC, then my exhaust

Old 05-29-2014, 06:02 AM
rob_dee
1st Gear
Awesome thanks a bunch for the info.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:08 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
1. get an "oil-less" high flow air filter; those KNs can mess up sensors if you dont oil them correctly (few people do; you have to wash, let dry, oil, let soak, then wrap the entire filter in paper towels overnight or so to soak up the excess oil). so your essentially down a vehicle for nearly 24 hours. its a pita, ill never get another KN again if i can help it. im rockin an Amsoil Nano-Filter, but you can probably get away with any other oil-less brand; they all look really similar anyway.

2nd, Make your own airbox. there are some threads on how to do it, but basically you are going to cut a big hole in the Back of the stock airbox and that cowl piece. done. no money spent. and its literally what a JCW airbox is, minus the flapper.

3rd. do spend your newly saved money on a samco or alta silicone intake hose. Def a power gain there. i was skeptical at first, but it really did help! *fwiw, samco hoses are cheaper, and we/i think the altas are just re-branded samcos anyway*

Old 05-29-2014, 07:43 AM
rob_dee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini
1. get an "oil-less" high flow air filter; those KNs can mess up sensors if you dont oil them correctly (few people do; you have to wash, let dry, oil, let soak, then wrap the entire filter in paper towels overnight or so to soak up the excess oil). so your essentially down a vehicle for nearly 24 hours. its a pita, ill never get another KN again if i can help it. im rockin an Amsoil Nano-Filter, but you can probably get away with any other oil-less brand; they all look really similar anyway. 2nd, Make your own airbox. there are some threads on how to do it, but basically you are going to cut a big hole in the Back of the stock airbox and that cowl piece. done. no money spent. and its literally what a JCW airbox is, minus the flapper. 3rd. do spend your newly saved money on a samco or alta silicone intake hose. Def a power gain there. i was skeptical at first, but it really did help! *fwiw, samco hoses are cheaper, and we/i think the altas are just re-branded samcos anyway*
Awesome, iv seen that write up on the "do it yourself air box" or what ever it's called lol. Deff will take your advice and check out the intake hose for sure.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:02 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
sometimes they pop up here on NAM for cheap (like $50 or so) but its been quite a while since ive seen one. if one does come up, you need to jump on it quick, they go fast. otherwise if you cant wait, i wouldnt hesitate to spend the money on one thats brand new.

ive also heard the samcos are a little longer, which allows you to trim as needed, where the altas are almost too short, if i remember correctly....

Old 05-29-2014, 08:05 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
i havent heard anything bad about the venairs

Old 05-29-2014, 08:14 AM
rob_dee
1st Gear
Will deff keep my eye open for one then

Old 05-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
just ordered my hose, since mine is actually starting to crack, venair shipped to me was 77 from motoringwerks

Old 05-29-2014, 10:29 AM
rob_dee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
just ordered my hose, since mine is actually starting to crack, venair shipped to me was 77 from motoringwerks
Good to know thanks

Old 06-18-2014, 05:10 AM
Pablopaha
1st Gear
K&N Apollo

I've fitted a K&N Apollo CAI to my 06 and it works great! It's not too difficult to modify the existing filter box to suit either. If you cut a hole in to the back of the existing cold air box you can plumb the filter housing to suck cool air from the fire wall plenum. I've noticed a slight difference in sound but it's hard to hear over the sound of the blower.

Attached Thumbnails CAI question-2014-06-18-21.57.49.jpg