North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-191/)
-   -   Drivetrain Aquamist HFS Methanol Injection Systems (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/268431-aquamist-hfs-methanol-injection-systems.html)

wzabrouski 05-25-2014 10:15 AM

Let's all try and remember that the forums should be for helping fellow mini owners, rather than picking them apart for the questions they ask. Nobody is perfect and in my opinion more people should be willing to help rather than scrutinize them for asking questions, but it seems to be the opposite. That is not my opinion based on the interactions solely in only this thread but many other.

sbninja 05-25-2014 10:43 AM

Take a breather, step back, and go over the installation manual from the beginning. It's easy to get your wires crossed(pun intended). Make sure every thing is connected as per instructions and all settings are correct. Then if you still have a problem then call manufacturer for help.

wzabrouski 05-25-2014 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by sbninja (Post 3937319)
take a breather, step back, and go over the installation manual from the beginning. It's easy to get your wires crossed(pun intended). Make sure every thing is connected as per instructions and all settings are correct. Then if you still have a problem then call manufacturer for help.

+1

wzabrouski 05-30-2014 07:49 PM

Well, I finally put the jet in! I had been driving around for a week or so with the jet under the windshield. It was a hot day here in Texas with ambient temps in the high 90's and I had intake temps hovering at or even into the triple digits at some point. When the meth hits, it was dropping the intake temps by 5 & 10 degree increments quickly. It dropped into the 80's before I let off the gas. This is going to be nice this summer.

cerenkov 05-30-2014 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by wzabrouski (Post 3940282)
Well, I finally put the jet in! I had been driving around for a week or so with the jet under the windshield. It was a hot day here in Texas with ambient temps in the high 90's and I had intake temps hovering at or even into the triple digits at some point. When the meth hits, it was dropping the intake temps by 5 & 10 degree increments quickly. It dropped into the 80's before I let off the gas. This is going to be nice this summer.

This has to be the longest install ever! :)

wzabrouski 05-30-2014 07:55 PM

Lol. I was done with the install but wanted to see when the jet sprayed. I'm still amazed how with my current setting with thres a little before noon on the dial the system does not spray too often. I know I can adjust it but I think it is where it needs to be after speaking with Jeff. Slightly biased towards boost.

wzabrouski 05-30-2014 07:56 PM

Now to creep up the JB.. Should be able to run at 100% according to Terry but I don't think I will ever do it.

johntotah94 05-30-2014 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by wzabrouski (Post 3940290)
Now to creep up the JB.. Should be able to run at 100% according to Terry but I don't think I will ever do it.

Which jet did U end up going with?

cerenkov 05-30-2014 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by wzabrouski (Post 3940288)
Lol. I was done with the install but wanted to see when the jet sprayed. I'm still amazed how with my current setting with thres a little before noon on the dial the system does not spray too often. I know I can adjust it but I think it is where it needs to be after speaking with Jeff. Slightly biased towards boost.

I did the something with it spraying on the windshield for about a week. I was so nervous when I first installed the jet.

Mine doesn't spray all that often either. If I try I can drive to work and NOT have it spray at all. Typically it comes on around 9 psi. I'm averaging about 1/2 gallon of methanol every 500 miles. I guess I need to start "driving" the car.

Originally Posted by wzabrouski (Post 3940290)

I'm too chicken to do this. I'm still at 50% on the dial. Other people on here say that 80% is about ideal.

wzabrouski 05-30-2014 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by johntotah94 (Post 3940297)
Which jet did U end up going with?

.6 with no restrictor - did you get yours figured out?

johntotah94 05-30-2014 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by wzabrouski (Post 3940303)
. .6 with no restrictor - did you get yours figured out?

Yes all good. The restrictor was the problem.
Running no restrictor at the moment.

wzabrouski 05-30-2014 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by cerenkov (Post 3940300)
I did the something with it spraying on the windshield for about a week. I was so nervous when I first installed the jet. Mine doesn't spray all that often either. If I try I can drive to work and NOT have it spray at all. Typically it comes on around 9 psi. I'm averaging about 1/2 gallon of methanol every 500 miles. I guess I need to start "driving" the car. I'm too chicken to do this. I'm still at 50% on the dial. Other people on here say that 80% is about ideal.

I was running at 2:00 on the JB with the e85 mix I was running so that will probably be th highest I go once I get around to bumping it. Has anyone looked into the Manic tune thingy?

johntotah94 05-30-2014 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by cerenkov (Post 3940300)
I did the something with it spraying on the windshield for about a week. I was so nervous when I first installed the jet. Mine doesn't spray all that often either. If I try I can drive to work and NOT have it spray at all. Typically it comes on around 9 psi. I'm averaging about 1/2 gallon of methanol every 500 miles. I guess I need to start "driving" the car. I'm too chicken to do this. I'm still at 50% on the dial. Other people on here say that 80% is about ideal.

Turning the JB+ isn't something to be nervous about. When I was troubleshooting mine with Terry. He made me turn it up to 100% on pump gas for a while. You will boost more. Just as long as you don't pass 18-19psi you'll be good. I was afraid turning it up and told him I didn't wanna blow up my car or misfire or anything. And he said the dial is just a system they came up with, no particular stages are really defined. Just the sensitivity of the controller is increased a bit.
So do it! :)

cantcode86 05-30-2014 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by cerenkov (Post 3940284)
This has to be the longest install ever! :)

I've go him beat. I've read the instructins several times, looked at everything in the boxes (a couple of times) and put everything in the car twice. Just havent installed anything yet. Hoping to get really started tomorrow. I can't finish until I get a none colorblind to help with the wires at the ECM :)

What mix are you guys running? I was planing on starting with 50/50 VP M1 and water.

cerenkov 05-30-2014 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by cantcode86 (Post 3940330)
I've go him beat. I've read the instructins several times, looked at everything in the boxes (a couple of times) and put everything in the car twice. Just havent installed anything yet. Hoping to get really started tomorrow. I can't finish until I get a none colorblind to help with the wires at the ECM :)

You could just count the wires and their position but I wouldn't suggest it.

Originally Posted by cantcode86 (Post 3940330)
What mix are you guys running? I was planing on starting with 50/50 VP M1 and water.

For testing without the jet installed I used purified water (of course). Then I pumped most of it out through the jet when I was measuring the flow rate and topped on the rest with methanol. I figured it was ~80% methanol. After that I just top it off with methanol when needed so I'm running about 100% methanol now. I don't want to bother with mixing it and I can get 5 gallon cans 99.99% methanol locally for $35, so it's cheap.

A lot of people (on other forums) believe that 50/50 is to much water for the ignition system. IIRC Jeff recommends not more that 20% water (don't quote me on that though).

johntotah94 05-30-2014 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by wzabrouski (Post 3940308)
I was running at 2:00 on the JB with the e85 mix I was running so that will probably be th highest I go once I get around to bumping it. Has anyone looked into the Manic tune thingy?

I am manic tuned

yesti 05-30-2014 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by johntotah94 (Post 3940315)
Turning the JB+ isn't something to be nervous about. When I was troubleshooting mine with Terry. He made me turn it up to 100% on pump gas for a while. You will boost more. Just as long as you don't pass 18-19psi you'll be good. I was afraid turning it up and told him I didn't wanna blow up my car or misfire or anything. And he said the dial is just a system they came up with, no particular stages are really defined. Just the sensitivity of the controller is increased a bit.
So do it! :)

What were you troubleshooting?

wzabrouski 05-31-2014 12:19 PM

Has anyone else found themselves getting a little spray from the jet upon start-up? Spoke to Jeff about this and he stated this is common when the mode is set to IDC with our engines. He said we should never spray while in vacuum. He had me switch to MPS and now I am adjusting to the appropriate boost level to kick in.

cerenkov 05-31-2014 03:18 PM

Never has happened to me.

wzabrouski 06-03-2014 09:57 PM

So I bumped the JB from 12 to 2 and when going high into the RPM band I was getting what appeared to be a misfire. Lowered the JB back to 12, no issue. The best way to describe the sound was batta, batta, bat, batta... lol. The question is was it a result of too little or too much meth and why would the increase in the JB have this result.

cerenkov 06-04-2014 07:53 AM

Was it knocking? What mix are you running?

wzabrouski 06-04-2014 11:39 AM

I honestly have no experience with knowing knock so it is possible. I am running straight 93.

wzabrouski 06-04-2014 11:40 AM

Wouldn't I get a CEL if it was knock?

cerenkov 06-04-2014 02:47 PM

You wouldn't necessarily get a CEL. What water/meth mix are you running?

wzabrouski 06-04-2014 02:57 PM

100% meth