North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-191/)
-   -   Drivetrain Aquamist HFS Methanol Injection Systems (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/268431-aquamist-hfs-methanol-injection-systems.html)

wzabrouski 06-16-2014 09:01 PM

Any updates with the .7?

cerenkov 06-17-2014 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by wzabrouski (Post 3948554)
Any updates with the .7?

I put the 0.7mm jet in tonight. Did some logging but it was really humid so IAT was only 10-15 F below ambient.

I'll try and get some logs during midday tomorrow. I need to pull the jet and measure flow when in SYS mode to compare to the 0.6mm setup.

I did leave the 0.7mm restrictor in.

johntotah94 06-20-2014 01:19 PM

Been running 100% meth for a while now. Debating if it's worth it or not. Does water actually help in anyway? Should I drop to an 80-20 mix? What are the benefits of water? Or is it just to make your meth supply last longer?

DneprDave 06-20-2014 02:06 PM

A drop of water will expand in volume 1603 times, when it changes to steam at 212F. So any addition of water to the cylinder will increase combustion pressure, which translates to more horsepower.

Ch28Kid 06-20-2014 02:15 PM

@johntotah94

how often do you have to refill the meth? average after xxx miles and how much are meth in your area?

johntotah94 06-20-2014 02:30 PM

I've heard. Meth increases the threshold for knock. Water is the one that actually suppresses knock, cools combustion, and increases pressure. I always thought 100% meth was best but now I think that may be wrong. Will try a mix today.
Not sure on the miles but I check the tank every 2 weeks or so. Probably goes to half. Then I fill it up with more meth.

cerenkov 06-20-2014 02:36 PM

Did some logs today coming home from work. I running a 0.7mm jet with a 0.7mm restrictor and 100% methanol. I also have the JB+ at 50%. I might remove the restrictor next.

The AFR's look pretty good on both runs. I do notice a slight increase in AFR towards the end of the run. Not sure if this the ECU cutting fuel because of the methanol or if it is because of throttle lift/shifting and is an artifact of data points not lining up because of how the sampling works.

Today, I'm only seeing 15F below ambient. Yesterday I saw 23F.

The first run you see a 3 degree drop in timing, not sure if timing was being pulled or not.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...5.09.54+PM.png

The second run there was a slight drop of only 2 degrees of timing at one point:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-W...5.09.18+PM.png

A log from yesterday with the iPhone and DashCommand (scan rate is not as good). I believe temperatures have a lower priority so they are not logged as often - thus the large step changes. I can't modify this like I can in ScanXL.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-v...5.22.22+PM.png

wzabrouski 06-20-2014 02:43 PM

Bumped the JB to 1 o'clock last week. Slowing increasing it. Feels good right now.

NewCooperFanatic 06-21-2014 09:43 PM

Exchange with Jeff a few weeks ago:

Actually mostly IDC or a mix, about 50/50 has always worked best, across many DI platforms. I have heard someone talking about this before, you may have gotten the quote from the same person.

When you dump meth the ECU is going to pull fuel. Yes the IDC will act like a feedback loop, but I've yet to see logs where it bounces significantly like the quote. The issue with boost based is boost is not always consistent to load. So your fuel trims will be all over the place. The ECU will never give you max timing if it's always seeing big swings in the fuel trims.

Since we are not spraying that big of a percentage of methanol to fuel the condition described sounds out of sorts. I'd like to see ECU logs of fueling,boost,timing,fuel trims, etc. to see what might be going on in this car. We are alos using the HPFR signal as well and mixing that in on the 4 to form the fueling signal, I'd like to know how the car in question was wired.

The MINI isn't the only DI car we have ever put an HFS-4 on and I haven't seen the issue described in any significance on any car yet. Again, I'd like to see logs to investigate more.

Jeff
Web - howertonengineering.com
Shop - howertonengineering.net

...you'd be doing yourself a disservice by going with any other system. Extensive research has been done on Jeff's part with these 2nd gens

cerenkov 06-22-2014 06:05 PM

I measured the flow rate in SYS mode with a 0.7mm jet and 0.7mm restrictor and got 325 cc/min up from 275 cc/min from when I had the 0.6mm jet and 0.7 mm restrictor installed.

I remixed so now I going to log some runs with ~80/20 methanol/water mix.

Tomorrow will be a 90F day so hopefully I'll get some runs in on the way home from work.

cerenkov 06-23-2014 06:52 PM

Here's a log I did today with a 80/20 mix. Very similar to the 100/0 mix. The temperature didn't drop much, not sure if this has to due with the mix or the weather conditions (fairly humid). I have seen this with a 100/0 mix during foggy/misty mornings. The flow meter was pegged out so I believe that it was flowing correctly. I guess I could open the control box to see of the 95% LED is lit.

I still notice a slight increase in AFR toward the end of the pull.

I'm going to continue to run the 80/20 mix for a while to see how it goes. I'll probably remove the restrictor this weekend.

BTW, all my logs are done in 4th gear and take place on the same entrance ramp to the interstate.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-d...9.25.32+PM.png

wzabrouski 06-23-2014 08:15 PM

What are your settings on?

cerenkov 06-23-2014 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by wzabrouski (Post 3951912)
What are your settings on?

I posted on picture in one of the first few posts of the thread. I've never changed the settings though.

wzabrouski 06-23-2014 08:27 PM

Oh. I was not sure if you were on the same settings.

johntotah94 06-27-2014 11:44 PM

Guys. I would like to know your opinion on this idea.
You guys all know about Intercooler Sprayers right?
(Spray water on the intercooler and makes it more efficient in cooling)
Since the aquamist kits come with a tee to use in a twin nozzle setup.
What if you use one nozzle to spray into your intake throttle body and route the other tube to spray on the intercooler? Do you guys think thats a good idea? or not worth the trouble.

Phipu91 06-28-2014 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by johntotah94 (Post 3954109)
Guys. I would like to know your opinion on this idea. You guys all know about Intercooler Sprayers right? (Spray water on the intercooler and makes it more efficient in cooling) Since the aquamist kits come with a tee to use in a twin nozzle setup. What if you use one nozzle to spray into your intake throttle body and route the other tube to spray on the intercooler? Do you guys think thats a good idea? or not worth the trouble.

Are you using the stock intercooler or an aftermarket like the Forge, Helix or Wagner?
Personally I think it's a waste of meth (or water/meth). I doubt that it will help against heat soaking on a stock intercooler. But that's just my opinion.

Systemlord 06-28-2014 07:57 PM

I can't wait to see the ambient temperatures compared to intake temperatures when the weather shifts towards 90+ degrees fahrenheit!

wzabrouski 06-28-2014 08:08 PM

Depending on jet size, flow & humidity, you should see 15-20 below.

Roxspin72 06-28-2014 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Need input:

So I had my Snow Performance Kit installed couple days ago. Went out and did a data log. Here is what I'm getting:

Attachment 95283
BTW the Boost and Torque lines are a whitish hue. Was not able to adjust text.

Ambient Temps tonight were at 76 deg, w/87% humidity. Seem that my IATs creep up from ambient a bit. I have seen it stay equal to ambient and as much as 5 deg below at times.

Wondering if my set up needs tweaking.

Running the #3 nozzle that came with the kit:

250 - 350 RWHP: 175 ml/min nozzle.

Wondering if I should run the higher flow nozzle IOT get the intake to drop below ambient:

350 - 475 RWHP: 375 ml/min nozzle

I have the stage 2 kit, and I'm running the progressive controller on boost, set to come on at about 9-10 psi, and reach full spray around 12 psi.

On a positive note, timing looks great. Running the JB+ at 50%. but looking to see some solid Data logs before I creep it on up.

Thanks in advance:popcorn:

Roxspin72 06-28-2014 10:44 PM

Forgot to mention:

Im running the premixed Boost Juice...

Originally Posted by Roxspin72 (Post 3954377)
Need input:

So I had my Snow Performance Kit installed couple days ago. Went out and did a data log. Here is what I'm getting:

Attachment 95283
BTW the Boost and Torque lines are a whitish hue. Was not able to adjust text.

Ambient Temps tonight were at 76 deg, w/87% humidity. Seem that my IATs creep up from ambient a bit. I have seen it stay equal to ambient and as much as 5 deg below at times.

Wondering if my set up needs tweaking.

Running the #3 nozzle that came with the kit:

250 - 350 RWHP: 175 ml/min nozzle.

Wondering if I should run the higher flow nozzle IOT get the intake to drop below ambient:

350 - 475 RWHP: 375 ml/min nozzle

I have the stage 2 kit, and I'm running the progressive controller on boost, set to come on at about 9-10 psi, and reach full spray around 12 psi.

On a positive note, timing looks great. Running the JB+ at 50%. but looking to see some solid Data logs before I creep it on up.

Thanks in advance:popcorn:

cerenkov 06-28-2014 11:06 PM

With humidity levels that high you're not going see the drastic drops in IAT (at least that's my experience lately). Also I think the 50/50 boost juice is to much water.

Can't speak on the flow rate recommended by Snow, but with the 0.6mm jet (typically smallest jet that people use with the Aquamist) I measured the my flow rate to be ~275 ml/min. I'm now using a 0.7mm jet and the flow rate is ~325 ml/min.

Have you actually measured the flow rate?

Roxspin72 06-29-2014 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by cerenkov (Post 3954385)
With humidity levels that high you're not going see the drastic drops in IAT (at least that's my experience lately). Also I think the 50/50 boost juice is to much water.

Can't speak on the flow rate recommended by Snow, but with the 0.6mm jet (typically smallest jet that people use with the Aquamist) I measured the my flow rate to be ~275 ml/min. I'm now using a 0.7mm jet and the flow rate is ~325 ml/min.

Have you actually measured the flow rate?

I agree as far as the Boost Juice mix. Just wanted to see how the kit runs. Before I start adjusting Meth blends.

So in comparison to your nozzle choice of upping to 325cc/min, what would be the danger of me upping to the next size of 375cc/min nozzle that came with my kit. I understand to large a nozzle would waste juice, but what else should I be worrisome about.

For your last question, I have not measured actuall flow rate. Need to make that happen ASAP.

Thanks for the support, and hope none feel like I high jacked your thread. Great place for info.

cerenkov 06-29-2014 09:51 AM

I'd imagine that you would be ok to go up in sizing. For a 100% methanol then you would be just running really rich. For a 50/50 mix, the extra water might be hard on the ignition.

By the way there are really good methanol dealers in the Raleigh and Fayetteville area. I pay $35 for a factory sealed 5 gallon drum of 99.99% pure methanol.

I did a quick logging run this morning, the humidity is much lower and so is the drop in IAT. I'm trying not to get all hung up on IAT. It's not even be the most important parameter, it's just easy to measure.

Here's a photo of the Aquamist guidelines for jet sizing:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-A...o/IMG_4553.jpg

RAYGUNZAP 06-29-2014 10:09 AM

Just a thought…. Methanol will oxidize certain metals including aluminum…. I'm hesitant.

Roxspin72 06-29-2014 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by cerenkov (Post 3954498)
I'd imagine that you would be ok to go up in sizing. For a 100% methanol then you would be just running really rich. For a 50/50 mix, the extra water might be hard on the ignition.

By the way there are really good methanol dealers in the Raleigh and Fayetteville area. I pay $35 for a factory sealed 5 gallon drum of 99.99% pure methanol.

I did a quick logging run this morning, the humidity is much lower and so is the drop in IAT. I'm trying not to get all hung up on IAT. It's not even be the most important parameter, it's just easy to measure.

Here's a photo of the Aquamist guidelines for jet sizing:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-A...o/IMG_4553.jpg

I hear you on IAT not the most important factor. I am tracking my timing diligently... IAT just gives me the warm and fuzzy that the meth is spraying, LOL. I will play around with my current set up until I can factor in multiple temp situations, All while monitoring timing. Also, I feel like my boost is low compared to others. Peaking at average 12-13 with the JB+, looking to turn up the dial slowly once my Logs display solid timing marks.

I will definitely move to an 80/20 blend once I feel comfortable.