Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Aquamist HFS Methanol Injection Systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Phipu91
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RAYGUNZAP
Just a thought…. Methanol will oxidize certain metals including aluminum…. I'm hesitant.
That is true but only if you let it sit in methanol for long durations of time. We are only injecting a fine mist of methanol which evaporates really quickly and is in a gaseous state once it reaches the cylinder thus not causing any harm to aluminum and other materials.
There was a research paper released by the navy where they compared anodized aluminum, aluminum, nickel plated steel and steel (let me search for the link to the article) and the outcome basically was that the deterioration rate of anodized aluminum was very minimal when left sitting in methanol for long periods of time. Aluminum that was not anodized deteriorated quicker but not too much. These tests were done by placing the materials in methanol and left sitting for long periods of time which is not happening when we inject methanol as a fine mist which evaporates.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:31 AM
RAYGUNZAP
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've thought about adding an Aquamist system. But I'd prefer, that the reservoir be placed under the bonnet. I think that I would really enjoy the benefits of a Meth system.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Phipu91
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RAYGUNZAP
I've thought about adding an Aquamist system. But I'd prefer, that the reservoir be placed under the bonnet. I think that I would really enjoy the benefits of a Meth system.
You can buy Aquamists basic set up and I believe you can convert your wiper washer fluid reservoir into the meth tank so it's under the bonnet.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:38 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Roxspin72

Also, I feel like my boost is low compared to others. Peaking at average 12-13 with the JB+, looking to turn up the dial slowly once my Logs display solid timing marks.
This does seem low. What boost levels do you see without the jb+?

On my 2010, I have hit 14.1 psi on a hot day on the stock tune. 13.9 was pretty regular at moderate temps.

Sent from my Nexus using NAMotoring

Old 06-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
I have seen 14 on an average, 12-14psi stock. I will keep monitoring. However, Cerenkov: you were on point. 90 deg today w/40% humidity. Saw timing up to 6 deg, w/IAT hitting as low as 13deg below ambient. And staying at ambient in regular traffic. Sweet👍

Old 08-01-2014, 06:53 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just installed this kit. Everything seems to be working properly. Right now, cleaning my windshield with only the purest water. I would like to set up fail safe being meth will be an integral component of the map (22.5 psi) I will be running. Anyone set this up yet?
From what I see:
1. cut the wastegate wire from ecu and splice the brown and white wire from gray harness.
2. Calibrate flow bars on gauge
3. Calibrate wl and wh dials on gauge.
4. Set jumper in cel dr1

I think that's it. Sounds simple enough.. I guess. Any additional thoughts?

Old 08-01-2014, 07:10 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I've seen reports of nuisance CELs when hooking up the waste gate failsafe. I'm interested if you'll experience this.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:02 AM
CPap
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
I've seen reports of nuisance CELs when hooking up the waste gate failsafe. I'm interested if you'll experience this.
Ok. I'll Ping Jeff on this too. Hopefully have it going by tomorrow.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:00 PM
CPap
4th Gear
The failsafe is up and running. No cels and it cuts the boost like it should. Now I just need to fine tune. Jeff has been really helpful. Here's a link he sent me. http://howertonengineering.com/tech-...dds3-failsafe/

I think an issue people are having (throwing a cel) is they are using the wrong wire to the wastegate valve. The picture illustration of the wire from the gray connector appears to be orange where as it should be brown. The instructions state brown for our type wastegate and say orange for another application. So, I see where someone would get thrown. One of the threads I saw said they were using the orange wire which is wrong. Of course, they were throwing a cel.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:35 PM
CPap
4th Gear
ok. I installed the jet in the intake tube and have been testing. I am not seeing that much drop in IAT. Compared to most of you, I am way above in IAT's! Before the Meth kit I was seeing 30-40 deg. over ambient at the top of 4th gear and 19.5 PSI. Now, I am seeing 20-25 deg above ambient at the same. I expected to see at least ambient numbers at the IAT, but 20 deg above? The mini is running a hybrid turbo, so now I am thinking its running out of efficiency and blowing a lot of hot air the spray can't keep up with.

Here is what I am running:
.8 Jet measured 350cc
everything at 12 O'clock
SC set properly to 6 bars
System purged

No matter how much gain (full clockwise) I throw at it doesn't seem to make much difference.

When I was testing the system with the jet on the windshield, I didn't notice much progressive ramp up in spray when going through the boost/rpm. It was very subtle. I have it coming on at 10psi. It certainly comes on at 10psi as its dowses the window good.

Thoughts? Am I expecting too much with this? I am going to call Jeff tomorrow and see what his thoughts are.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:00 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
What were the outside humidity levels like? (wet bulb temperature is actually what's important but dew-point will give you an idea). I find that is a huge factor in how much IATs drop.

Without the methanol I would see 20F above ambient. Then with methanol on a dry day I would see 25F below ambient, so that equates to a 45F swing. On a sticky day maybe only a 30F swing. But no matter, I'm always below ambient.

Your resulting temperatures will be different because of your higher boost pressures but you should see a 30F - 45F swing.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
What were the outside humidity levels like? (wet bulb temperature is actually what's important but dew-point will give you an idea). I find that is a huge factor in how much IATs drop.

Without the methanol I would see 20F above ambient. Then with methanol on a dry day I would see 25F below ambient, so that equates to a 45F swing. On a sticky day maybe only a 30F swing. But no matter, I'm always below ambient.

Your resulting temperatures will be different because of your higher boost pressures but you should see a 30F - 45F swing.
Thanks for the info. I do recall you mentioning humidity being a factor. not sure what the wet bulb temp was but the dewpoint was 66 or so.

When you had the jet on the windshield, did you notice the progressive nature of the spray with more load? Have you adjusted gain and noticed any diference with that?

Old 08-03-2014, 06:46 PM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Temp Effects

]OK so I bought a GoPro and made this quick video of the temp effect of water/meth on the MINI Cooper (and Forced induction in general).

Please for give my video making skills (or lack there of) as this is my first time with the GoPro, YouTube and Video Editing.

But you can see that W/M DOES lower the intake temps quite a bit.

Last edited by c0op3r; 08-03-2014 at 06:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aabcds (04-27-2020)
Old 08-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Can you hear the pump when it kicks on. I know I have a different system, but when I hit about 4psi I hear the solenoid click and then right around 7psi I hear a slow pulse. When I get up above 12psi that pulse narrows and its a very progressive pulse. That's how I know mine finally is tuned to the correct PSI. Just was curious as to where the your Aquamist pump is, and if you can hear it. I Keep mine in the Boot.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:07 PM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you hear the pump when it kicks on. I know I have a different system, but when I hit about 4psi I hear the solenoid click and then right around 7psi I hear a slow pulse. When I get up above 12psi that pulse narrows and its a very progressive pulse. That's how I know mine finally is tuned to the correct PSI. Just was curious as to where the your Aquamist pump is, and if you can hear it. I Keep mine in the Boot.
For the most part NO, I can not hear the pump or the solenoid.

That is generally because the car has a modified exhaust on it, if the system engages while I am in a particle throttle (like an on ramp) I can hear that a little bit.

My system is mounted behind me in the boot also, pump and tank are in the Howerton Eng / AquaMist metal mount/housing. Solenoid in under the bonnet.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:08 PM
CPap
4th Gear
I can faintly hear the pump when it fires up. It stays at a constant throughout the range. Aquamist operates the pump at a constant PSI. The FAV does the variable work.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CPap
I can faintly hear the pump when it fires up. It stays at a constant throughout the range. Aquamist operates the pump at a constant PSI. The FAV does the variable work.
Thanks, I was just curious.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 PM
CPap
4th Gear
I talked with Jeff about my situation. He thinks its typical for (especially towards redline) for the IAT's to go up especially running more boost. My IAT's drop about 10 deg or so up to 14 psi +/- but once I get into RPM and more PSI, the IAT's start to climb. Jeff suggested putting the jet closer to the IC. Where I have it placed now (at the bend behind the headlight) air might not have time to cool down before it hits the IAT sensor. Thats my next step.

We also talked about placing a small .3 jet before the turbo. Hes seen plenty of success with that as well....just end up eating a lot of Meth.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:01 PM
CPap
4th Gear
I moved the jet further down the pipe line. It's now located at the bottom of the hardpipe where it meets the cyclone pipe. IAT's are down 15deg! So, at redline, I am 5-8 above ambient. I'm very happy.

Edit- ha! Silicone pipe NOT cyclone.

Last edited by CPap; 08-04-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:21 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I moved the jet further down the pipe line. It's now located at the bottom of the hardpipe where it meets the cyclone pipe. IAT's are down 15deg! So, at redline, I am 5-8 above ambient. I'm very happy.
Great! Were you able to stick your hand in there with a drill or did you have to take the whole hard pipe off?

Old 08-04-2014, 06:35 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Originally Posted by johntotah94
Great! Were you able to stick your hand in there with a drill or did you have to take the whole hard pipe off?
I disconnected the pipe from the IC, disconnected the top of the hardpipe and pulled the pipe up so could drill and tap it. All in all It wasn't too bad.

Not sure this will help everyone but has helped my situation being I am pushing more (potentially hotter) air.

Last edited by CPap; 08-04-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
I disconnected the pipe from the IC, disconnected the top of the hardpipe and pulled the pipe up so could drill and tap it. All in all It wasn't too bad.

Not sure this will help everyone but has helped my situation being I am pushing more (potentially hotter) air.
Glad to hear that method worked out. BTW, what did you use to plug the original TAP point?

Old 08-04-2014, 07:35 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Glad to hear that method worked out. BTW, what did you use to plug the original TAP point?
The kit comes with two plugs for the sleeve you thread into the pipe. I used one of those plugs.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
The kit comes with two plugs for the sleeve you thread into the pipe. I used one of those plugs.
Ahh, I guess that's one of the perks I did not get due to the fact that I opted for a cheap kit. LOL... Oh well, always room for component upgrades in the future

Thanks...

Old 08-05-2014, 04:47 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Just get a 1/8" NPT plug from the hardware store.

Which kit did you go with?

I am troubleshooting a devils own 2.5 bar universal now.

Sent from my Nexus using NAMotoring

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Aquamist HFS Methanol Injection Systems