Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:14 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by johntotah94
Yeah. SPS. 91 mild. 91 aggressive. And race fuel or meth map. They're flashing a countryman now. Not sure if they will dyno it. But it is really hot outside. Excited to see how my car feels in cold weather.
You're gonna have to do some pulls for us and let us know how it feels above the 5k rpm range! I want to know if the car still pulls hard. We're all happy for you man.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:33 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Haha will do! You guys have 93 octane in east coast? If you do he can make a little more power for you than me.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:07 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hottest week in socal in quite some time. mid-to-upper 90s all week with the friggin' santa ana winds blowing off the desert.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:41 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by pidge1114; 07-22-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:10 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pidge1114
Got the confirmation location for the Northeast. Looks like it will be at Redline Speed Worx in New Jersey.
Yes, it was confirmed today. They are set to go. All the reservation emails to eurocode are to be forwarded to redline.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:11 AM
maximooz
Neutral
It was my Royal Grey CMS at Eurocode yesterday. Had stg1 done and butt dyno confirms a much stronger power delivery, especially towards the higher RPMs -- where the engine previously felt anemic with the Manic tune it now pulls strong all the way up to redline. Car is just begging to be driven faster. Throttle is more sensitive now too: letting off the gas pedal abruptly and my auto trans responds with a faint slight jerk to it. Sport mode still works, and overrun produces a louder pop. Was told the N18 was doing under 1 bar and now with Manic stg1 it's doing about 1.4-1.5. Honestly I'm most interested to see how the torque band looks on the dyno. I feel the car needs a smudge more time to get going than before. Not sure if it's my auto tranny that may be mitigating when the power kicks in.

The main takeaway is that I feel this car is faster than what my stock CMS suspension is meant to handle -- I need to lower center of gravity and work on improving the braking. For those of you getting the tune, you're going to love it. In stock for the car felt sorta complacent with what it was capable of. Now I feel it's asking me to look at modding it more so it can go faster. Manic and Eurocode have done a great job and I hope to see more of you tuned N18s out on the road.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:12 AM
CPap
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes. Stage 2. 100 degrees outside too. Probably affected my numbers.
sounds great! How does the power band compare to jb+ ? I know, with my car, the power really flattens out above 4k. With the new turbo, it just keeps pulling. Looking forward to tuning the new turbo with manics stage 3.
Originally Posted by maximooz
It was my Royal Grey CMS at Eurocode yesterday. Had stg1 done and butt dyno confirms a much stronger power delivery, especially towards the higher RPMs -- where the engine previously felt anemic with the Manic tune it now pulls strong all the way up to redline. Car is just begging to be driven faster. Throttle is more sensitive now too: letting off the gas pedal abruptly and my auto trans responds with a faint slight jerk to it. Sport mode still works, and overrun produces a louder pop. Was told the N18 was doing under 1 bar and now with Manic stg1 it's doing about 1.4-1.5. Honestly I'm most interested to see how the torque band looks on the dyno. I feel the car needs a smudge more time to get going than before. Not sure if it's my auto tranny that may be mitigating when the power kicks in. The main takeaway is that I feel this car is faster than what my stock CMS suspension is meant to handle -- I need to lower center of gravity and work on improving the braking. For those of you getting the tune, you're going to love it. In stock for the car felt sorta complacent with what it was capable of. Now I feel it's asking me to look at modding it more so it can go faster. Manic and Eurocode have done a great job and I hope to see more of you tuned N18s out on the road.
Good deal man. I have an auto cm as well, so we shall see how stage 3 tune shakes out with the auto. Looking forward to it.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Phipu91
2nd Gear
Tuning is on the way and everything is going great! It's confirmed again that Manic can tune via OBDII!

Old 05-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Phipu91
2nd Gear
I'll be heading back to Modesto in a bit and will update tomorrow after being able to drive for a bit but so far all I can say is: WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2014, 01:43 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
You're gonna have to do some pulls for us and let us know how it feels above the 5k rpm range! I want to know if the car still pulls hard. We're all happy for you man.
Sorry for the delays. You can see in my attachment the dyno chart. Ignore the sweep that the graph does. You can see above 5k rpm it still has life in it. Pulls all the way to redline when I drive it. Realized I was not running the correct spark plugs with the proper gap that Nick wanted. He said if I got the ILKR8E6 or DILKR8B6 plugs I could have gotten a lot more power. Also I filled up at the cheapest gas stations I could find and the gas was not very great during the tune. Nick says the numbers could have been a lot higher. But it is still high as it is.
214.4whp and 241wtq on a Cooper S turbo. Not bad if you ask me. The top end has a lot of life compared to when I had my JB+!

Attached Thumbnails Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!-scan.jpg  
Old 05-04-2014, 01:50 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
It was my Royal Grey CMS at Eurocode yesterday. Had stg1 done and butt dyno confirms a much stronger power delivery, especially towards the higher RPMs -- where the engine previously felt anemic with the Manic tune it now pulls strong all the way up to redline. Car is just begging to be driven faster. Throttle is more sensitive now too: letting off the gas pedal abruptly and my auto trans responds with a faint slight jerk to it. Sport mode still works, and overrun produces a louder pop. Was told the N18 was doing under 1 bar and now with Manic stg1 it's doing about 1.4-1.5. Honestly I'm most interested to see how the torque band looks on the dyno. I feel the car needs a smudge more time to get going than before. Not sure if it's my auto tranny that may be mitigating when the power kicks in.

The main takeaway is that I feel this car is faster than what my stock CMS suspension is meant to handle -- I need to lower center of gravity and work on improving the braking. For those of you getting the tune, you're going to love it. In stock for the car felt sorta complacent with what it was capable of. Now I feel it's asking me to look at modding it more so it can go faster. Manic and Eurocode have done a great job and I hope to see more of you tuned N18s out on the road.
It was a giant upgrade wasn't it? Sorry I left so fast, that was my 3rd day in LA I had to drive back to NorCal. The car probably feels a smudge slower to get going because of the Linear Throttle Map he loaded on our cars. It is more like an NA car so you get your demanded power by how much you push the pedal. Like it should be. Before the stock throttle map, I would push 1/3 of the way down and 18 psi would pop up instantly. The rest of the pedal does not do much. Mini probably did that to make the car "feel" faster lol. I love my tune a lot and I hope you do too! You get the SPS? Its a very cool little device.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:00 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
The dyno was with 91 octane.
Today I mixed 91 with 2 gal E85 and wow you can feel a huge difference. I wish I dyno'd with an E85 mix. Numbers would have been a lot higher.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:47 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you need to remove your JB+ before going. Or since they rewrite the DME does it even matter?.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:05 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jkapinos
Did you need to remove your JB+ before going. Or since they rewrite the DME does it even matter?.

The JB+ will alter any ecu tune you have. So for the sake of the health of the car, only run one tune at a time.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:10 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bmx045
The JB+ will alter any ecu tune you have. So for the sake of the health of the car, only run one tune at a time.
What I mean is. Can you drive there with th JB+ and remove in the parking lot?. Or do you need to drive the car for 60 miles with it removed before. Since they are rewriting the DME.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:12 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jkapinos
What I mean is. Can you drive there with th JB+ and remove in the parking lot?. Or do you need to drive the car for 60 miles with it removed before. Since they are rewriting the DME.
The flash will reset adaptations so it doesn't matter.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:15 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Thanks. Don't want to give up the JB+ till the last second.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:30 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
So much gains with E85 mix! I think everyone should at least mix a gal or 2. Power right off the bat! especially with my tune!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:30 PM
zedaristo
2nd Gear
Posting here too incase people don't see the other thread.

2012 Countryman S ALL4 Manual. 91 oct from 76, Helix intercooler, NM eng intake. Alta hot side pipe. 2.5" Magna flow exhaust with 2nd cat delete. It was near 100 degrees outside.

Nick loaded a "stage 1+" and stage 2 tune on my ecu, I need to pick up some colder plugs and a catless downpipe to run the stage 2, so those are ordered and on the way. So the car is running the modified stage 1 tune right now.

Got my tune on Thursday. I wanted to wait a few days until I drove it to get an idea of what really changed. I've put about 800 miles of all sorts of driving on the countryman after the tune. Stop and go traffic, beach cruising, boring interstate 5 driving. Launched it a few times and a decent run in some mountain roads.

I bought the countryman not expecting to mod it at all and coming from an M3 this thing is ridiculously slow. The car is by no means fast after the tune but its much more bearable now. Before the tune, passing people above 70mph was doable just needed a very long stretch of road. Anything above 80mph, forget it.

I'd say power levels are a little bit above the JCW countryman with this tune currently. The power delivery is pretty linear and the car doesn't stop pulling after 5k rpm. It keeps going till redline. The car is quite a bit of fun to drive now.

Is the tune worth it? to me yes, very much so. It has a very smooth power delivery and being able to switch maps through the OBD is something I really wanted/needed. It exceeded my expectations quite a bit and can't wait to try the stage 2 map when the DP and new plugs get here.

If you're not expecting something ridiculous like 100hp/tq I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. If you have an ALL4, i'd say this is a must have, and i'm sure you'd see quite a bigger difference if you just have a regular S. The all wheel drive system and 4 doors just seems like too much weight for the 1.6 liter.

Pretty tired right now as i just spent the last 8 hours driving back home but feel free to ask me anything i've left out

Old 05-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Phipu91
2nd Gear
I love my tune from Manic. I replaced the spark plugs as I was at Eurocode to the ones that Nick recommended.
The maps I got are: low boost, high boost, high boost + meth. He didn't have an SPS so at the moment it's set at high boost + meth but hopefully I get one soon so I can do a dyno run with the stock map and then with the high boost + meth.
It's a huge jump from stock or even the JB+. With the JB+ I felt that torque was missing down low and past 4.5k/5k it doesn't pull. But with the tune there's gobs of torque down low which is really easy to modulate with the linear throttle. If you keep on going till redline the turbo just keeps on going.
The car feels like a rubber band that keeps on pulling harder the harder you push it. Even the map without the meth is amazing! It is slightly less crazy that the tune with meth but not by much.
So far the car has been great after the tune. It eats meth like crazy now since it's hard to keep off of the right foot.
Overall I'm really happy with my tune from Manic and the ppl at Eurocode were friendly and just great.
Can't wait to go stage 3 once I get the funds for it.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:32 PM
maximooz
Neutral
It was a giant upgrade wasn't it? Sorry I left so fast, that was my 3rd day in LA I had to drive back to NorCal. The car probably feels a smudge slower to get going because of the Linear Throttle Map he loaded on our cars. It is more like an NA car so you get your demanded power by how much you push the pedal. Like it should be. Before the stock throttle map, I would push 1/3 of the way down and 18 psi would pop up instantly. The rest of the pedal does not do much. Mini probably did that to make the car "feel" faster lol. I love my tune a lot and I hope you do too! You get the SPS? Its a very cool little device.
John was that your white CMS with the license plate to the right? Had no idea yours was that modded -- definitely a sleeper.

Glad to hear you experience the same throttle effect. I haven't gotten the SPS but didn't think I needed it if I'm sticking with just Stg1 for now. I want to do some suspension work before going Stg2.

Last edited by maximooz; 05-07-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:05 PM
zedaristo
2nd Gear
John was that your white CMS with the license plate to the right? Had no idea yours was that modded -- definitely a sleeper.
If it was on Friday, that was me.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:20 PM
maximooz
Neutral
Originally Posted by zedaristo
If it was on Friday, that was me.
Ah you must have been the one that David introduced. Sorry I didn't catch your name the first time around.

Did Manic say what you need in order to run 1+? Also what are the difference is in mapping between the 1 and 1+.

When Eurocode tuned my Audi I got considerable gains with an updated tune after putting in downpipe w/o putting in intercoolor. If 1 > 1+ is anything like what I got with my Audi I might just do it.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:30 PM
zedaristo
2nd Gear
It was mainly because of the intercooler. Nick just had it tuned slightly more aggressively.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Meth injection is a huge plus for those tuning their Mini's, it keep combustion chambers cooler which allows you to choose a more aggressive tune without worrying about melting your piston landings. It will lower your intake temperatures by as much as 20 degrees below ambient.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!