Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by EuroTechsAZ
It has been discussed several times and verified several times already but Manic doesn't turn monitors off. It passes them. Tuned cars will pass all readiness test and fly threw scanned emissions without issue. If they do visual inspections that is a different story.

As for the stages and requirements they are changing as of late so it is hard to say at the moment. Best to discuss with you Manic dealer of choice as we all pretty much tell Nick what we have and he gives us the appropriate files.
When you say scanned emissions are you referring to OBD2 scanning?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:14 PM
minivinnie92
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Ok well couple things I have manic stage 2+ and when I check my car for readiness the o2 moniter always says not ready everything else is ready

As far as codes well my mini dealer is like 25 miles away I switch to stock drive there usually the light does not come on by than or by time it leaves. Before I had manic they noted in the computer and my RO that I had a P0420 and "customer removed cat" a high flow cat will also set off the code so your better off catless if that's the route your going

I to am under warranty and up until recently had the maintence program and I had no issues

And I believe he is talking obd2 because I couldn't see any other scanning you would do?

P.S. I am licensed in New Jersey as a state inspector as well as we do them constantly at my shop where I work
P.S.S. I do not know how other states do there inspections only new jersey

Old 07-10-2015, 12:53 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to switch back to the stock map, continuously monitor the readiness codes. Once it goes ready be close by the inspection shop and you will pass. You have to get there before the P0420 is triggered. Worked perfectly for me.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:54 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear

Going back to the stock map, it took 3 miles for the readiness codes.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:02 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by minivinnie92
Ok well couple things I have manic stage 2+ and when I check my car for readiness the o2 moniter always says not ready everything else is ready

As far as codes well my mini dealer is like 25 miles away I switch to stock drive there usually the light does not come on by than or by time it leaves. Before I had manic they noted in the computer and my RO that I had a P0420 and "customer removed cat" a high flow cat will also set off the code so your better off catless if that's the route your going

I to am under warranty and up until recently had the maintence program and I had no issues

And I believe he is talking obd2 because I couldn't see any other scanning you would do?

P.S. I am licensed in New Jersey as a state inspector as well as we do them constantly at my shop where I work
P.S.S. I do not know how other states do there inspections only new jersey
I was asking about the OBD2 readiness checks. But one of you says it passes all and another said O2 is never ready.

Like to know for sure. I'm 99% sure it will pass TX with only 1 not ready, EVAP is allays the hardest to get "tested" .

I'm not really concerned about the random side of the road tests. Even if tripped you just get a notice in the mail and pop your cat back on.

Trouble in TX now is they have your inspection tied to registration. You can't get tags ( plates ) if your inspection in not valid.

So MINI just noted you pulled your cat, guess you'll never be able to get warranty on your cat after that. And I can't see spending big $$ on a high flow cat that won't be good enough to clear codes anyway.

With my NA Trans Am I had I ran a dyno with and without my cat and only found a loss of 4HP , so for about 1% power loss I left it on since it was OBD1 I had to tread mill the car, I built a tune just for inspection time. Hell I gave that car to my son who was in the Marines at the time, he got stationed in So Cal and found out it HAD to pass Cali smog to get a base sticker. I had to fly out and tweak it alot, took 3 pulls ( tests) but even got it to pass Cali smog test , of course it failed visual big time so could not get cali plates ( but who would want that ) but was able to get base sticker. I thought I was going to have to change rockers back to 1.5 to tame the cam down but did not have to.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
You have to switch back to the stock map, continuously monitor the readiness codes. Once it goes ready be close by the inspection shop and you will pass. You have to get there before the P0420 is triggered. Worked perfectly for me.
Maybe I mis-understood Tony when I spoke to him, because he made it seem like nothing was needed once running a Stage 2 map. Even with the map in place a car would pass the OBD2 inspection.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:38 PM
dhroz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gfb dv+

Originally Posted by rckrzy1
Do you have to ask for specific items to be done or not done ?

As in I want the speed limiter removed. I live in TX but not sure I want the cold start removed , what are your findings with that ? I keep my car garaged in TX so unless I'm somewhere else it's never that cold , but I don't want it to be a dog or running poorly till it warms up.

Since I have a CAT do I have to ask to make sure it still runs the O2 tests so I will pass emissions ? If I remove the cat in the future can it be reflashed to not throw a code ? I still have my JB device so I could run that to kill the O2 test but I really want to keep running dash command.

And I have been told by my tuner I can have stage 2 EVEN though I have CAT BUT he said I just can't run map C stage 2 with a CAT and there fore will not sell me switch so I can't accidentally run map C , Not like I'm retarded, I'm under warranty and in no way would I do something like try and run a MAP that would blow up my car. But I could just insist on running Stage 1 PLUS and get the switch, I just don't know how much diff there is between 1Plus and 2 .

FYI I have

Forge clone FMIC
GFB DV+
ECS CF Intake ( high flow 4.5-5.0 cone in a CF box using factory snorkel to front )
Custom exhaust (using single aero turbine muffler 2.5 in 2.5 out), 2nd cat, res and stock mufflers removed so straight pipes out after Y
NGK ILKR8E6 Spark Plugs (colder range plugs)
Hot side Muffler deleted.

I am scheduled to get my ECU read at our next club meeting
I noticed you have the GFB valve. I am thinking about purchasing one also . Did you notice better acceleration or less turbo lag?

Old 07-10-2015, 02:57 PM
minivinnie92
4th Gear

Well best bet would be to leave it in map A or b because than you won't get the CEL plus you will have enough readiness monitors no reason to hope and pray your close enough to inspection

I'll take a picture next time I get a chance of my readiness I'll pull it up on our inspection machine again this us just new jersey idk about anywhere else

Old 07-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
From the GFB+ valve thread here on NAM it isn't as fast as the Forge unit, at least that's what is stated in that thread. It still uses the stock DV so I don't see how it could as fast, but I see how the GFB+ valve is strong unit.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:35 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
The factory solenoid is only used as a switch , the speed is derived from the beautifully built and designed to use the boost pressure to accuate a valve. I was very impressed by the quality of the DV+ . It holds boost during shifts .

Originally Posted by Systemlord
From the GFB+ valve thread here on NAM it isn't as fast as the Forge unit, at least that's what is stated in that thread. It still uses the stock DV so I don't see how it could as fast, but I see how the GFB+ valve is strong unit.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
The factory solenoid is only used as a switch , the speed is derived from the beautifully built and designed to use the boost pressure to accuate a valve. I was very impressed by the quality of the DV+ . It holds boost during shifts .
Agreed it does hold boost during shifts and quality it very high.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:42 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
well that changes everything, damn you LOL. Still not sure what dealership would say. If it comes in for service and has the check engine because no cat because I would have to have stock tune selected for warranty work, and I assume with stock loaded it will have a check engine for no cat. BUT a High flow cat like 100 cell might be another option.
A high flow cat will still cause a CEL on the stock tune. At least mine does. You're over thinking it too much. Just get the tune already.

On another note, I switched back to the stock tune tonight for some data logging for someone else and wow is the car ever slow. I also noticed that exhaust gas temperatures are lower on the stock tune by about 75 degrees after romping on it:

Manic Stage 2+ Map A: 1450 F
Stock: 1375 F

Old 07-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
I just got my stage 2+/DP from Mario, coming from a JB+, my JCW feels like a new car! Idles much better, feels much smoother overall. No more 5 am cold starts to **** off the neighbors . Just waiting for Helix's Rev 2 FMIC to be released in Aug then I can play more with Map B.

Thanks again Mario!!

Old 07-11-2015, 04:37 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Like I said I have an appt to get ECU read next weekend.

I just wish there was a chart to easily compare tunes. As in with no diff in mods how much more power in a stage 2 vs stage 1 plus .

My tuner says I can have a stage 2 so long as I don't try map C .

But hopefully he will explain it when we get together next week

QUOTE=cerenkov;4101864]A high flow cat will still cause a CEL on the stock tune. At least mine does. You're over thinking it too much. Just get the tune already.

On another note, I switched back to the stock tune tonight for some data logging for someone else and wow is the car ever slow. I also noticed that exhaust gas temperatures are lower on the stock tune by about 75 degrees after romping on it:

Manic Stage 2+ Map A: 1450 F
Stock: 1375 F[/QUOTE]

Old 07-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Not sure how the stock tune and a catless DP will ever allow the cat and 2nd o2 sensor monitor to run w/o getting a CEL. I've been trying for weeks with various snake oil bits.
Big Daddies was a big waste....BMW software too keen.
Further with my Manic tune, p codes come about pretty quick as pending then as soon as the monitor runs the CEL comes on for o2 and cat efficiency.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:10 PM
minivinnie92
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Indimanic
Not sure how the stock tune and a catless DP will ever allow the cat and 2nd o2 sensor monitor to run w/o getting a CEL. I've been trying for weeks with various snake oil bits.
Big Daddies was a big waste....BMW software too keen.
Further with my Manic tune, p codes come about pretty quick as pending then as soon as the monitor runs the CEL comes on for o2 and cat efficiency.
So you still get codes with the manic tune? I can check readiness with my snap on verus and the only thing not ready is the o2

Old 07-14-2015, 02:20 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minivinnie92
So you still get codes with the manic tune? I can check readiness with my snap on verus and the only thing not ready is the o2
How can your cat efficiency test be "ready" if the O2 is not ? Kinda need one for the other.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:24 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear

In Texas you are allowed 1 code to not be ready. Not sure about other states. I had to switch to the stock map, monitor evap until it was ready and drive directly to the inspection station to get a pass.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:27 PM
minivinnie92
4th Gear

Not sure man but I'll snap a pic next time I pull my car into the shop

I do need a roatation and tire balance maybe if it gets slow one day

Old 07-16-2015, 10:14 AM
Richard Kellstrom
1st Gear
I recently got the Manic Tune for my GP with the impression that this would shut off the CEL as that is what people were saying. It has not. Not sure what else I can do. In all maps I still get the CEL for the cat.

The car is a beast but I cannot inspect my car with an active CEL.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:53 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Richard Kellstrom
I recently got the Manic Tune for my GP with the impression that this would shut off the CEL as that is what people were saying. It has not. Not sure what else I can do. In all maps I still get the CEL for the cat.

If you don't have a cat all that can be done is turn that monitor off which is like a federal offense, or so my tuning software says. But even if you turn off the CEL that will not force the readiness to ON, so everything else would have to be ready, evap etc

Old 07-16-2015, 10:56 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
In Texas you are allowed 1 code to not be ready. Not sure about other states. I had to switch to the stock map, monitor evap until it was ready and drive directly to the inspection station to get a pass.
evap takes a lot of driving in the right conditions to get ready, so you would have to figure out how to do that FASTer than the cat eff test finishes.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:48 PM
sk8terboy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Richard Kellstrom

Did you contact your manic dealer?

Old 07-16-2015, 04:02 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Is this a CEL on your dash while driving or a previous stored code indicating a cat problem?

Old 07-16-2015, 04:30 PM
minivinnie92
4th Gear

Maybe clear the codes first idk if you tried that? Also of the main criteria for evap is have enough gas to be between 1/4 and full

Also side note some cars u can force to run the evap tat with the right scanner

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!