Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 PM
minivinnie92
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Trust me you will not regret your decision if you go manic

When you do the shop updates your ecu to the newest updates before they upload the tune

I personally have been to the dealer several times and never been over written (knock on wood) or noticed

Old 07-08-2015, 07:04 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
But if I left it on stage 1 plus I bet
They would notice.

I took my heavily tuned ls1 truck into Chevy once without re flashing and they said my tranny had a problem, shifting too hard, I was like no I like that way, luckily I kept my tune backed up. Was nice to be able to tune my truck at will.
Originally Posted by minivinnie92
Trust me you will not regret your decision if you go manic

When you do the shop updates your ecu to the newest updates before they upload the tune

I personally have been to the dealer several times and never been over written (knock on wood) or noticed

The following users liked this post:
BlueCooperS (05-27-2018)
Old 07-08-2015, 08:05 AM
minivinnie92
4th Gear

O ya they will definitely notice that's y I go back to stock

Old 07-08-2015, 08:46 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
what I don't like is the way the president of MANIC basically told me the JB+ was a "plastic box that plugs into the MAF" and probably offered no gains and that the gains I seen were from my mods not the JB+. I see no reason for Manic to bad mouth the competition like that. For one I know the JB+ gives actual gains, even my wife can tell if it's in there and her car is bone stock except the JB+. And second there was no other option for the N18 till recently. Thirdly it's easier and cheaper to remove the JB+ than to hide the Manic tune ( requires a $200 switch ). Fourth when I trade in or sell my car the JB+ can be sold, with the Manic you are losing all money spent on the tune.

Still with all that I will still be getting the Manic tune because I want more use of my current mods and then I can sell my JB+ unlike the Manic , which I think they should offer a trade in credit if the tune is removed for whatever reason, selling or you car gets totaled.

Is the switch linked to your car or is that something that could be used on multiple MINI's ? As in say my wife gets a stage 1 could I use the same switch to put it to stock for warranty work ?

Old 07-08-2015, 10:02 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Manic tunes don't require the SPS Switch. Unless you want the connivence of switching between performance maps and switching back to stock.
They don't like the JB+ because tuners are never fans of "tricking" your ECU. The JB+ is just fooling your MAF sensor as a result tricking your ECU to run more boost.
A/F ratios can become very close to lean and is scary with the high boost.
I honestly had the JB+ and it completely transformed my car. I loved it. It's just the car ran out of breath on the top end. With the Manic tune the car pulls all the way to 6800rpm!

Old 07-08-2015, 02:00 PM
minivinnie92
4th Gear

See I'm the opposite I had the jb+ and felt like it did nothing at all

I purchased the tune and a few months later bought the switch no need to get at same time and yes you can use on your car and your wife's car as well as sell it when your done because it is not linked to your car

Old 07-08-2015, 02:17 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
my local manic dealer just had a customer do this dyno run, stock, jb+ and manic stage 1 map 2.

SO there is quite a bit of gain with JB+ , for sure cheaper per HP than Manic, BUT I do agree a proper tune is better. I still have tuning capability for GM's and did alot of tuning myself on LT1 LS1 and GM V6's.

And the dyno shows more gain and better curve so I will be going Manic, just don't see the need to knock the JB+ , as the dyno shows it does work.

Jb+ hp 184hp, 196tq. Manic stage 1 map c 189hp, 210tq. Stock 162hp, 187tq. Mid range is where manic made the most difference!

Old 07-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
What happened to the deveter valve talk?

Old 07-08-2015, 05:27 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
BTW , has doing a Manic tune ever bricked a car ? What happens if it does ? Reason I ask is it happened to me when I was writing via OBD to my LS1 truck.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:33 PM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had one brink once.. Cable accidentally fell out at the final stages of programming. The ECU gets sent to a Manic Engineer located in the United States. Not very common but worst case it takes 3 days or so to get to "him" and get it fix it. I know his name but he's a silent partner who no one talks to so no point in sharing it.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove all the way to Ventura for a meth kit install and to hang a bit with MarioKart back in June, ended up with a new turbo as well. That guy Mario, he's pretty good at the up-sell! Anyway I finally ended up on a dyno so here we go.
245/271 on a SuperFlow Dyno, automatic clubman S, FBO, manic stg 3
I think this is pretty good for an automatic. Certainly stage 3, meth injection, and the new FRANKENTURBO F21M have transformed this little clubbie. If I wasn't so lazy when I'm not busy with work I could probably tighten the waste gate a bit more and squeeze another PSI out of it. Frankly I'm fine with where it's at, I drive map B daily any how. The drive back to Oakland was pretty great and like driving a brand new car.

Dyno day was especially fun with a tank full of race gas and running map C... Like holy $hip fun!! In map C I was able to do burnouts already going 35 mph... It's now a two handed car in this map...

Anyway I mostly just read and absorb here lately but figured I'd give a post and a thumbs up to MarioKart and MANIC.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:56 PM
minivinnie92
4th Gear

I love how the horsepower keeps climbing and the boost is so steady and constant all the way through

So you ran meth and race gas? What octane and did u just add 5 gallons or full er up with race fuel?

Old 07-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
I love how the horsepower keeps climbing and the boost is so steady and constant all the way through

So you ran meth and race gas? What octane and did u just add 5 gallons or full er up with race fuel?
Nearly filled up with VP 100 octane, Meth when sprays i think is around 108 octane?

Old 07-09-2015, 01:04 PM
minivinnie92
4th Gear

That's awesome what's it go for out there per gallon

Old 07-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
That's awesome what's it go for out there per gallon
i think it was like 7.50 or something stupid, but it was a GREAT week of driving that map...

Old 07-09-2015, 02:19 PM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Nice to see where the Frakenturbo ends up.. looks very similar to JCW turbo power graphs. Slight lag in peak torque compared to JCW turbo but not bad.

Good job on getting a clean pull out of an automatic.. we usually have to start pulls higher to keep them from down shifting on the dyno.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:23 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
I think putting the MINI in manual mode and using the step tronic function would work best for autos ? I dunno as I never dynoed my MINI yet ?

Originally Posted by EuroTechsAZ
Nice to see where the Frakenturbo ends up.. looks very similar to JCW turbo power graphs. Slight lag in peak torque compared to JCW turbo but not bad.

Good job on getting a clean pull out of an automatic.. we usually have to start pulls higher to keep them from down shifting on the dyno.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:39 PM
minivinnie92
4th Gear

So how much bigger is the frankenturbo than the jcw

Old 07-09-2015, 03:06 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
As soon as my car figured out the rear wheels weren't turning, that's when it shifts on you. It was rather tricky and took a few tries to keep it up without shifting, actually.

It also turned off all power steering as well as rendering the dsc button useless. Actually I'm not even sure it was in full power, no DSC mode when we dyno'd due to the rears not rolling. Was fun to drive it out of the parking lot with no power steering for a few feet, reminded me of my old 280z.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
Old 07-10-2015, 09:25 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Do you have to ask for specific items to be done or not done ?

As in I want the speed limiter removed. I live in TX but not sure I want the cold start removed , what are your findings with that ? I keep my car garaged in TX so unless I'm somewhere else it's never that cold , but I don't want it to be a dog or running poorly till it warms up.

Since I have a CAT do I have to ask to make sure it still runs the O2 tests so I will pass emissions ? If I remove the cat in the future can it be reflashed to not throw a code ? I still have my JB device so I could run that to kill the O2 test but I really want to keep running dash command.

And I have been told by my tuner I can have stage 2 EVEN though I have CAT BUT he said I just can't run map C stage 2 with a CAT and there fore will not sell me switch so I can't accidentally run map C , Not like I'm retarded, I'm under warranty and in no way would I do something like try and run a MAP that would blow up my car. But I could just insist on running Stage 1 PLUS and get the switch, I just don't know how much diff there is between 1Plus and 2 .

FYI I have

Forge clone FMIC
GFB DV+
ECS CF Intake ( high flow 4.5-5.0 cone in a CF box using factory snorkel to front )
Custom exhaust (using single aero turbine muffler 2.5 in 2.5 out), 2nd cat, res and stock mufflers removed so straight pipes out after Y
NGK ILKR8E6 Spark Plugs (colder range plugs)
Hot side Muffler deleted.

I am scheduled to get my ECU read at our next club meeting

Old 07-10-2015, 09:34 AM
minivinnie92
4th Gear

I would just got stage 2 and map B is plenty also any thing stage two and up cold start is removed and why do you want the o2 readiness to run? It will pass obd inspection all 2002 and up can have one not ready when it's due for inspection

Old 07-10-2015, 10:50 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
I would just got stage 2 and map B is plenty also any thing stage two and up cold start is removed and why do you want the o2 readiness to run? It will pass obd inspection all 2002 and up can have one not ready when it's due for inspection
I could be wrong BUT if the O2 is off does not that affect O2, O2 heater and Catalyst monitoring ? That would be 3 items.

I know when running the Can Tool it causes 2 or 3 not readies.

Not sure how Manic would have catalyst ( AKA cat check ) running if the O2 is not monitoring.

AGAIN I'm also under warranty and free maint so my car makes reg trips to dealership so I need it to be in stock trim. I know
my Manic guy can do it before taking in BUT what if she dies somewhere and needs towed in ?

Old 07-10-2015, 10:58 AM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
It has been discussed several times and verified several times already but Manic doesn't turn monitors off. It passes them. Tuned cars will pass all readiness test and fly threw scanned emissions without issue. If they do visual inspections that is a different story.

As for the stages and requirements they are changing as of late so it is hard to say at the moment. Best to discuss with you Manic dealer of choice as we all pretty much tell Nick what we have and he gives us the appropriate files.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:07 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by EuroTechsAZ
It has been discussed several times and verified several times already but Manic doesn't turn monitors off. It passes them. Tuned cars will pass all readiness test and fly threw scanned emissions without issue. If they do visual inspections that is a different story.

As for the stages and requirements they are changing as of late so it is hard to say at the moment. Best to discuss with you Manic dealer of choice as we all pretty much tell Nick what we have and he gives us the appropriate files.
well that changes everything, damn you LOL. Still not sure what dealership would say. If it comes in for service and has the check engine because no cat because I would have to have stock tune selected for warranty work, and I assume with stock loaded it will have a check engine for no cat. BUT a High flow cat like 100 cell might be another option.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!