Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:01 PM
HorseWithNoName
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replied to the website and sent an email last week, no response.

Looks like a great value added concept, but getting hyped and waiting on what appears to be a poorly planned business operation is usually a precursor and or likely indicator of things to come.

P.S. I have no stake in any turning business, just a multi Mini owner interested in purchasing credible performance enhancements.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:42 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same here...waited three days already. Nothing back in return. I'm in no rush since I have the JB+...but it'd be nice to know when specifically they'll be here in the U.S. and starting to answer questions before we all decide to purchase this product.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:16 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Yeah. Cut them some slack. Starting a company is stressful. And they originate in the United Kingdom so they have to come to the US and start up. I am just as impatient as you guys haha. I also have made it clear how impatient I was to them. (I Bug them wayy too much lol)(Many many messages..). Trust me, they are working as fast as they can. But yea, since I have the JB+ I'm doing okay for now. More power is always better. But they did say they are coming to Los Angeles in the next few weeks, so hopefully things start going

Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 AM
CN R60
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm really glad to see that we have another option, cant wait to hear more news

Old 01-26-2014, 02:23 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Spoke to them a few days ago. Great news, they'll be arriving in the US in a couple weeks.

Also, it's $500 for stage 1, +50 for stage 2, +100 for stage 3, and +200 I believe for the stage 4, also taxes applied lol.

With that said, if you guys live in big cities, please email or message on FB, where they can use some dealers near by you to acquire the tune they're selling. I told them about Monkeywrench racing, Detroit Tuned, and Smokey's Dyno. So let's help then out a bit.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Phipu91
2nd Gear
I live near San Francisco and believe there are a few Mini tuners there. But if I had to I wouldn't mind driving to LA to get a tune.
What they need to do is release the info for the stage 4 tune so I can make up my mind if I will settle for stage 3 or take the jump to state 4. I'm willing to do it if it's not too crazy since my Mini is a daily driver. But I'm willing to be the first if no one wants to bite the bullet. It'll be the ultimate sleeper Mini!!!!

Old 01-26-2014, 03:05 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Oh I forgot, they said within a couple or few weeks, they will post a thread here on NAM about all the info on the stages and hp/tq output. So stay tuned for that.

I'm gonna keep my JB+ but I am gonna see the differences and how I like the two products. I like that there's three modes on the tune and then also a stock setup. That's really NICE:-).

Old 01-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Phipu91
2nd Gear
I love the JB+ but I'm feeling adventurous and would love to get the stage 4. I'll be watching the threads for their official release and/or update on this if the price is reasonable for the mods then I'll jump on it right away. I don't mind being the test mule for the community in regards to this. It'll be a huge undertaking since I believe the clutch needs to be upgraded as well as adding a LSD.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:13 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Phipu91
I love the JB+ but I'm feeling adventurous and would love to get the stage 4. I'll be watching the threads for their official release and/or update on this if the price is reasonable for the mods then I'll jump on it right away. I don't mind being the test mule for the community in regards to this. It'll be a huge undertaking since I believe the clutch needs to be upgraded as well as adding a LSD.
I agree, I told them I'd love to test it out for them. I guess we'll see what happens. I'm looking at the Stage 2, possibly Stage 3 down the road. I just want 40whp/45-50wtq and running 18psi. I'll be happy with that.

Just pay attention to their introduction when they post it up on here.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Phipu91
2nd Gear
I'll keep an eye out for an update by them!!!!
Even though my Mini is my only car I don't drive her daily so I'll be able to take her out of service and work on her till stage 4 is complete and will use my work van as my mode of transport till everything is working smoothly.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:14 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
So what Manic told me is.
500 for Stage 1 but 700 with the SPS switch if u want it which is 200.
Plus 50 for Stage 2, 100 for Stage 3, and 200 for Stage 4.
So Stage 2 is 550 or 750 with the SPS Switch.
Make sense guys? Might be a little confusing for some. lol

Old 01-26-2014, 11:18 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Ok sorry guys. Manic told me that they think they got the upgrades in GDP pricing and sent that to a few of you guys.
It should be +$50 for Stage 2, +$200 for Stage 3, +$300 for Stage 4.
Working across countries can be hard especially when he sends you guys messages at 3am.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
And to Clarify. Yes your car is tuned through the OBD II port but a Manic Dealer has to load it into your ECU. The SPS does not actually write the ECU over and over again when you want a different map. It literally just tells the ECU to switch the map. That's why it takes like 2 seconds. It's not rewriting, just simply switching.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:21 AM
dorykiki
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A dealer rewrites the ecu. Then you can switch between maps using the sps switch.

That was manic answer when I told them that my car has the jcw tuning kit installed .

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 01-27-2014, 04:42 AM
pidge1114
Banned

Last edited by pidge1114; 07-22-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:10 AM
Phipu91
2nd Gear
If Manic uses current Revo dealers then there shouldn't be a problem with being able to drive to one and get flashed.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johntotah94
Ok sorry guys. Manic told me that they think they got the upgrades in GDP pricing and sent that to a few of you guys. It should be +$50 for Stage 2, +$200 for Stage 3, +$300 for Stage 4. Working across countries can be hard especially when he sends you guys messages at 3am.
Regardless...$550 for stage 2, and $700 for stage 3?! That's a deal that can't be beaten. Unless BMS does something spectacular with the JB4. I just wouldn't go spend $1000 at RennTech for 30whp/35-40wtq. Just curious to see the actual gains in the coming weeks.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:52 AM
CPap
4th Gear
I guess my lack of knowledge about the Revo product lead me to believe the Manic unit would allow me to bring the car to stock ECU settings in the event I needed a dealer visit. That's what intrigued me. Apparently, this isn't the case. Not to say this isn't a good product, but something I may not consider until this mini has more miles under its wheels...close to end of warranty type thing. Unless, there is a way to revert back without hassle, I am still game.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 AM
CPap
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CPap
I guess my lack of knowledge about the Revo product lead me to believe the Manic unit would allow me to bring the car to stock ECU settings in the event I needed a dealer visit. That's what intrigued me. Apparently, this isn't the case. Not to say this isn't a good product, but something I may not consider until this mini has more miles under its wheels...close to end of warranty type thing. Unless, there is a way to revert back without hassle, I am still game.
It looks like I may be wrong about my previous statement. Heres an exert from the Revo website FAQ:
Can the dealer see that my car is modified?

On first glance, there is no reason for your dealer to realise that your engines ECU has Revo Software flashed. Revo create all of our software from full factory software, and write an entire software file to the ECU, as opposed to “data area” files used by other tuners.

As the ECU will ID, DTC check, and function as it would with factory software, switched to Stock Mode using an SPS it is virtually undetectable by the main dealer. Dealer tools are constantly evolving to incorporate new technology, there is always a possibility that main dealer tools could see that an ECU has been modified and isn’t stock.

If of course the dealer drives the vehicle in performance mode it will be obvious to the driver that the car has been modified. This could be confirmed by data logging the car and seeing that certain requested ECU parameters are higher than expected for a standard vehicle. The long and short of it is we cannot guaranty the software will go un-noticed by the main dealer.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Phipu91
2nd Gear
Not to sound mean but it might be time for some of you to take a look at one of the many GTI forums and research the tunes that they get. The principle is the same for the OBDII tuning but they also discuss the risks of getting tuned before the warranty is over and how the dealer accepts it. If you already have a tuner friendly Mini dealer then there isn't a lot for you to worry about. For those that are on the edge about it then the SPS would be a good investment since the dealer can take the car for a spin and not notice the extra power and once you leave you switch it back to your desired tune. Most dealers won't even check the ECU unless there's a problem with the car and troubleshoot everything.

One thing that kinda sucks is when the dealer flashes the ECU with an update because it'll overwrite the tune and you'll have to go back and get flashed again.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:55 AM
CPap
4th Gear
Not to sound mean but it might be time for some of you to take a look at one of the many GTI forums and research the tunes that they get. The principle is the same for the OBDII tuning but they also discuss the risks of getting tuned before the warranty is over and how the dealer accepts it. If you already have a tuner friendly Mini dealer then there isn't a lot for you to worry about. For those that are on the edge about it then the SPS would be a good investment since the dealer can take the car for a spin and not notice the extra power and once you leave you switch it back to your desired tune. Most dealers won't even check the ECU unless there's a problem with the car and troubleshoot everything.

One thing that kinda sucks is when the dealer flashes the ECU with an update because it'll overwrite the tune and you'll have to go back and get flashed again.
I don't think it sounds mean. My dealer would not be amenable at all to a recognizable ECU flash. Although, they are fine with simple bolt ons. I think Manic may be a great solution to the point.

Another potential great perk is, according to the Revo site, they will reflash the computer for free if the dealer decides to flash an update on the ECU. Hopefully Manic provides the same perk.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:14 AM
Phipu91
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CPap
I don't think it sounds mean. My dealer would not be amenable at all to a recognizable ECU flash. Although, they are fine with simple bolt ons. I think Manic may be a great solution to the point. Another potential great perk is, according to the Revo site, they will reflash the computer for free if the dealer decides to flash an update on the ECU. Hopefully Manic provides the same perk.
I personally love Revo since they have amazing service and take great care of their customers. Of course other people might have had other experiences but very few I believe. Having them reflash it for free is a great perk if the dealer overwrites it.
I do all my service used so I don't need to worry too much about the dealer overwriting the tune or finding it. I only take my car in if I need warranty work done and am straight forward with the service manager with what the problem is and that my mods have no affect on it if that were the case. And if my mods were the cause then I let them know and tell them I'll pay for it. Sometimes I get lucky and they'll close an eye and do it as warranty work.
Anyway. I hope Manic and Revo work closely to make these 4 tuning stages possible here in the USA and easy to find a tuner able to flash the ECU with it so that we all have easy access to it. Can't wait to find out more about the upcoming developments on availability!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:41 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
They said today that he is in contact with the Revo dealers. The Mini uses the same ECU and same tools needed for the tune. No training is required and it is the exact same process. He is just going to show them that there is a Mini Market and hopefully they will take Mini into consideration. Once they get on the NAM forums, they will see where most of you guys wanting a tune are located and hopefully they can get a dealer somewhat close by to all of us.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Phipu91
2nd Gear
That's awesome news!! I hope they will be able to have a dealer either near Sacramento or Fresno and if I move to Florida before I'm able to do it then hopefully there's one near West Palm Beach.
I'm really excited for this!!!! All that's missing for me is the complete list of required mods for Stage 4....

Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
That's awesome news!! I hope they will be able to have a dealer either near Sacramento or Fresno and if I move to Florida before I'm able to do it then hopefully there's one near West Palm Beach.
I'm really excited for this!!!! All that's missing for me is the complete list of required mods for Stage 4....
Yeah. I live in Sacramento. But I told them if they can get San Franciso/Bay Area. I would be happy. I also said if they can get big cities because I know many of you guys will be happy to drive to get your tune.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!