Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Challenge Exhaust

Old 09-22-2013, 06:45 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Challenge Exhaust

Has anyone here installed the genuine challenge exhaust.

http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mi...geExhaust.html

For a downpipe back system it pretty expensive at $2100 delivered to the US.

If you have what are your thoughts? Fitment? I've listened to sound clips on youtube, and I like but I'm assuming those are with catless downpipes.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh HELL no!!! Go with VIP Custom. You won't be unhappy and you'll have more $$$ for booze and broads... or mods.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:49 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's a whole lot of money for what generally is cash for sound. That is a catback too, not a turbo back. Very little performance gain on a catback!

Old 09-23-2013, 05:57 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
he said downpipe back, not turbo back. Turbo back implies it comes with a downpipe. He was not wrong, Shane lol.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Either way, lots of moolah for a soundmaker

Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed. For a car that doesn't seem to show much of a gain from the exhaust after the downpipe, and with the exhausts on these cars being nearly straight, super simple, and very short, the prices people charge for them is insane. Absolutely insane.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:22 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
It is a lot of money for what you get. I'm just looking at all systems out there and trying to keep an open mind before I decide which one to go with. I do realize that with any system performance gains are minimal but I just want a kicka$$ sounding, quality exhaust.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:17 AM
cambo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll have the full challenge exhaust installed next week. It'll be mated to an akrapovic dp, so there'll be a cat. I also have no idea if it's a guaranteed fit on my 09 MCS...seller didn't know either.

Once I get it installed, I'll comment on fitment and post sound clips.

I'm already running a really loud/drone-y exhaust so I can't imagine this'll be any worse.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Akra DP is 2.5" and Challenge exhaust is 2.75". You'll need an adapter to mate the two together. Good luck. I considered it early on in my build at one point but it wasn't the sound I was looking for.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:33 AM
cambo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Akra DP is 2.5" and Challenge exhaust is 2.75". You'll need an adapter to mate the two together. Good luck. I considered it early on in my build at one point but it wasn't the sound I was looking for.
fml...I was really hoping it was 2.5 Thanks for the heads up man. You don't happen to know where I can find the adapter I need do you? I mean Ill try google it in the mean time but if you know of a better piece, I'd happily take your advice. thanks again.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:47 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cambo
fml...I was really hoping it was 2.5 Thanks for the heads up man. You don't happen to know where I can find the adapter I need do you? I mean Ill try google it in the mean time but if you know of a better piece, I'd happily take your advice. thanks again.
I'm unaware of a 2.75 to 2.5 adapter, but if anyone knows, I'd talk to Aaric at JM Turbo Cooper, they might be able to make one for you.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:04 AM
cambo
3rd Gear
hey ra2fanatic....I found what you're saying about needing the adapter. Sure enough, for the 'silencer only' portion of the challenge exhaust, it states you need an adapter to fit the 80mm piping to the stock 55mm front pipe.

However, for the full exhaust option (the one I'm installing), it says the challenge front pipe fits to a 'standard downpipe'. Does this mean that, despite the 80mm bore...the actual front pipe link to the downpipe will still work? Or that the challenge front pipe...will fit to a 'standard' challenge downpipe? because a challenge dp is different than a stock S? Am I asking too many questions? I'm sorry? lolol

Have you actually tried to mount the challenge front pipe to a stock or akrapovic downpipe (stock and akrapovic are the same right? 2.5"?) and realized you still need that adapter?

dude...sorry for all the questions. dumb as a rock over here. Appreciate your insight man...

This is the info I'm referencing:

Silencer Only: http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mi...eSilencer.html

Full exhaust: http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mi...geExhaust.html

Old 11-03-2014, 11:16 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
hey ra2fanatic....I found what you're saying about needing the adapter. Sure enough, for the 'silencer only' portion of the challenge exhaust, it states you need an adapter to fit the 80mm piping to the stock 55mm front pipe.

However, for the full exhaust option (the one I'm installing), it says the challenge front pipe fits to a 'standard downpipe'. Does this mean that, despite the 80mm bore...the actual front pipe link to the downpipe will still work? Or that the challenge front pipe...will fit to a 'standard' challenge downpipe? because a challenge dp is different than a stock S? Am I asking too many questions? I'm sorry? lolol

Have you actually tried to mount the challenge front pipe to a stock or akrapovic downpipe (stock and akrapovic are the same right? 2.5"?) and realized you still need that adapter?

dude...sorry for all the questions. dumb as a rock over here. Appreciate your insight man...

This is the info I'm referencing:

Silencer Only: http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mi...eSilencer.html

Full exhaust: http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mi...geExhaust.html
Ah interesting. I didn't think the Challenge exhaust would size down to fit standard downpipes. I guess that means you're in the clear! Let us know how it works out for you!

Old 11-06-2014, 04:17 PM
cambo
3rd Gear
Just an update. challenge exhaust mounts up just fine to the akra dp...so it'll work on a stock dp too--no adapter needed.

Installation wasn't bad at all, despite only having rhino ramps. would've gone a lot quicker with a lift though...oh well.

Exhaust note is monstrous. There's a rattling sound inside the cabin because the large diameter exits contact the plastic and shakes the whole damn rear bumper lol.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:33 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
congrats.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DO you have a video? Sound clip! I love to hear it.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just an update. challenge exhaust mounts up just fine to the akra dp...so it'll work on a stock dp too--no adapter needed.

Installation wasn't bad at all, despite only having rhino ramps. would've gone a lot quicker with a lift though...oh well.

Exhaust note is monstrous. There's a rattling sound inside the cabin because the large diameter exits contact the plastic and shakes the whole damn rear bumper lol.
That's easily fixed by bending the rear hangers or putting some washers in as spacers in between the rear hanger mounts and the body of the car.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:35 AM
cambo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ch28Kid
DO you have a video? Sound clip! I love to hear it.
Not yet, raining like hell yesterday, I'll take one this weekend!

Originally Posted by Agbullet25
That's easily fixed by bending the rear hangers or putting some washers in as spacers in between the rear hanger mounts and the body of the car.
haha, yup, I bent the rear hanger late last night because it was bothering me...good to go now!