Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain CARB and intakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 03:09 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm considering a CAI (and I promise I searched but found nothing to satisfactorily answer the following questions) and have been reading much about CARB cert. for those in California. I don't live in CA, nor do I plan on doing so any time in the near future, but I consider myself environmentally-minded so...

1. Does the CAI actually affect emissions, or is it just that those in smoggy areas must have preapproval for any performance mod?

2. If it does actually affect emissions, could someone possibly explain how?

3. is the K&N still the only CAI that's CARB certified?

I've been leaning toward the Pilo intake, but if there's some horrible emissions-related travesty that can be otherwise avoided by funnelling some extra dough into a K&N then I'd consider it...

Confusion. :???:

Old 04-27-2004, 03:52 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my 02 Cooper smogged and it has the Moss intake on it (looks like a K&N pleated filter) and there is no CARB sticker on it- it passed no problem (the shop didn't even mention the intake not being factory). In fact, where it says on the printout "average", "maximum", and "actual"- the actual emissions of the car is soooooo low it's laughable! I have the printout at home and can post the numbers later if anyone cares. I don't think changing your intake makes your car pollute more (maybe someone can disprove that), but here in CA they want to see the CARB sticker just to know that's already been proven by that manufacturer. Manufacturers have to pay for that CARB rating/label. I'm putting a K&N typhoon on the S arriving soon, but that's because I prefer that intake (quality, filter element, sound, styling, performance). I don't think you need to worry between brands that one will turn your MINI into a gross-polluter.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:33 PM
CornOnTheCob
2nd Gear
Manufacturers have to pay around a hundred thousand dollars for that sticker (from what I've read here). It doesn't mean the ones who don't are polluters, and, in fact, I doubt they are.

CARB is as much about emissions as a 55 speed limit on interstate highways is about safety. It's about money, plain and simple. Don't forget that California has a street racing problem and they are using heavy-handed techniques to deal with it that are unfair to the general populace. A few bad apples are spoiling the bunch.

The CARB sticker is a money maker for California. CARB stickered filters are more expensive, so they can effectively limit the number of people who are putting legal intakes on their car while making a hefty sum each year from the manufacturer, and at the same time make a lot of money off the people who aren't using legal intakes and also have legal justification to grief street racers.

This is strictly my opinion.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:22 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
As others have mentioned... I think its just one of those laws for California. I dont think that it really makes a difference in terms of pollution. If one is worried about that then they should ride a bike, carpool (not too probable in the mini) or some other means of transportation. Anyways, CARB sticker is required and I agree with the OPINION that its money issue. I welcome any other opinions though. I am a California resident and I went with the K&N to confrim to the rules... this time!!! :smile:

Old 04-28-2004, 07:52 AM
asodestrom
6th Gear
CARB is nothing but California garbage. Government gone mad. Sorry to sound political but that's what you get from a state that has nothing but liberals in statewide elected positions. And don't tell me how Arnie is a republican.

(sorry about that, but it's the truth)

Old 04-29-2004, 02:08 PM
manoo
3rd Gear
arnie is a republican in democratic clothing

Old 04-29-2004, 03:12 PM
buz
3rd Gear
Contrary to popular belief, California is an extremely conservative state. Controversial, yes. Liberal, not since Regan ruined the state.
The "CARB Exempt" sticker is a highly valued ticket. California air quality standards are the highest in the country so if a system recieves a CARB exemption then it will be acceptable in the other 49 states without further testing; a huge cost savings. Not all intakes and exhaust recieve the exemption.
California is currently on the war path against modifications because of all the street racing by highly modified cars. One way the state is combating this is to toughen the CARB Exempt standards for after market systems; a conservative political solution to out of control behavior. Jails are too full, impound lots are overflowing and not having a drivers license doesn't stop the street racers. The state, in all of its lacking wisdom, will most likely ruin adding salsa to our cars very tough to the point that only OEM or OEM licensed systems will pass smog testing. I wouldn't doubt that a speeding ticket will soon require a rigid vehicle inspection as well as a very expensive fine.
Get your mods while you can, learn how to swap them for OEM for smog testing and race only at the track.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:14 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
I agree. CARB is crap, but its there. There is just too much crap that goes down in CA in terms of law. As for the street racing... its too bad that a few folks ruin it for the rest. I guess thats the way life is though right? Everywhere! Its an ongoing debate I can see.

If you get everything with a CARB sticker then you dont have to worry.... That just limits your mods. It boils down to personal choice.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:22 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear
>>Contrary to popular belief, California is an extremely conservative state.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:33 PM
buz
3rd Gear
CARB is okay and doing its job well. The California Legislature is inane and is at fault for using CARB as a political tool. The Legislature, not the governor, should have been recalled.
Perhaps another state could adopt slightly more stringent air quality standards and undercut CARB as the ultimate standard setting authority. Then again it is the feds that accept or reject state air quality standards and we know well of thier current commitment to the environment.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:24 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great! So I won't be singlehandedly destroying the environment--good to know.

:smile:

Thanks for the info!