Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain JCW brake duct kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 06:30 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How effective is this priduct?

Old 04-14-2004, 06:47 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
Interesting product, do the intakes fit in where the front fog lamps usually reside?

Old 04-14-2004, 06:53 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It definitely looks that way. I know the stock Cooper S bumper does not have those areas cut out. Does the Aero kit?

Old 04-14-2004, 07:12 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
I always thought that would be a great idea, but why so pricey???

Old 04-14-2004, 07:16 AM
dcsmd007
>>It definitely looks that way. I know the stock Cooper S bumper does not have those areas cut out. Does the Aero kit?

The aero kit bumper is a solid piece with a round cut out for the fog lights, similar to the stock bumper. I think the entire area needs to be cut out in order to fit the duct.

Old 04-14-2004, 07:49 AM
CSIBMINI
3rd Gear
What is the price?

Old 04-14-2004, 07:56 AM
dcsmd007
>>What is the price?
£200.00 or $360 US

Old 04-14-2004, 08:00 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
Here is a link:

Brake Ducts

Old 04-14-2004, 08:09 AM
BlueMCS
5th Gear
I am in the process of fabricating this mod for my car. I sure hope its more eloquent and less expensive then what JCW has designed. Looks to be about as benefitial as their supercharger mod.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:16 AM
Trippy
Banned
It's interesting that they say "For off-road use only" and these ducts are
"Air ducting for Cooper S only. Supply and fit at JCW only"

So MAYBE it includes installation in that price?

Old 04-15-2004, 05:56 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
For those people who have a copy of the 2004 "YOU-IFICATION WORKBOOK", otherwise known as an accessories brochure, check out the picture at the bottom right corner of page 7 and the parts list on page 9. It shows the following:

Fog Light Black Out Panel, set of two, 51 11 0 151 570, $79.00

They look a lot like the ducts on the JCW brake ducting kit. Might be a cheaper alternative for those who like to build their own...

Old 04-15-2004, 07:34 AM
dcsmd007
>>[Fog light black out panels] look a lot like the ducts on the JCW brake ducting kit.

Those black panels are purely cosmetic, serving no functional purpose.
The shape of the duct's air intake does coincide with that of the aero kit bumper. :smile:

Old 04-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Hunter
3rd Gear
My question on seeing this is -- just how HARD and how long do you have to be on your brakes to either induce brake fade, boiled brake fluid, or disintigrating front brake pads?

I was under the impression that these cars were easy on their brakes. No?

The only time I ever had any brake trouble with the Miata was when I did an autocross run with the hand brake on! (I was wondering why I was so slow, and, please don't go there ) Other than that, in an autocross environment the brakes held up.

But, with the Quattro and its original single piston front brakes, not only did I boil the fluid I expoded a front pad.

I thought the MINI would be closer to the Miata in terms of front brake wear and temperature. My point being, ~$350.00 is worth it if it 1) helps, and 2) it's a situation that can easily occur at a track day or some VERY spirited street driving.

Old 04-15-2004, 08:04 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Those black panels are purely cosmetic, serving no functional purpose.
>>The shape of the duct's air intake does coincide with that of the aero kit bumper. :smile:

Oh, I know they're cosmetic. But could a little creative work with a Dremel tool and some quality hose produce a similar brake duct system for less than the cost of the Works brake duct kit? Especially since I don't think too many US owners would want to ship their MINI to the UK to have a $360 brake duct kit installed...

Old 04-15-2004, 08:23 AM
dcsmd007
>>But could a little creative work with a Dremel tool and some quality hose produce a similar brake duct system for less than the cost of the Works brake duct kit? Especially since I don't think too many US owners would want to ship their MINI to the UK to have a $360 brake duct kit installed...

Good idea! :smile: In which case, one can utilize the openning from the fog light and pipe the air towards the brake.

My main concern is its effectiveness. In order for the air to travel through the duct, the car has to be traveling at a higher speed. Under what kind of driving conditions, the duct becomes neccessary and effective in cooling the brakes?

Old 04-15-2004, 09:03 AM
CTMINI
2nd Gear
>>My question on seeing this is -- just how HARD and how long do you have to be on your brakes to either induce brake fade, boiled brake fluid, or disintigrating front brake pads?

I have had the brakes on my MCS fade quite a few times. I even saw them smoke (along with about 5 other MINIs) on a CT-area enthusiast's rally. 12 Most Dangerous Curves of New Milford, it was called. Our brake hardware is great, the disposable items (fluid, pads) suck.

I am sick of JCW's insane markups because of the nameplate they can affix. $360 for $2 worth or plastic? I'd rather set myself on fire.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:15 AM
dcsmd007
ATTENTION, MINI TUNERS!!!

It's time to get to work and design an affordable brake duct kit.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:23 AM
RykersM3
1st Gear
...ahem.. affordable CARBON FIBER brake duct kits

Old 04-15-2004, 12:33 PM
paulmon
4th Gear
>>My question on seeing this is -- just how HARD and how long do you have to be on your brakes to either induce brake fade, boiled brake fluid, or disintigrating front brake pads?
>>

On the street you would have to be driving pretty damn hard to cause any issues. On the track it's dead easy. Stock MINI brake fluid will boil after only a few laps. I ran last summer with AP Racing brake fluid and Ferodo DS2500 brake pads on the front. I had a TON of smoke coming off my wheels at the end of one of the sessions. I ended up with warped discs at the end of the day. I've since changed to slotted rotors and will be cooling my brakes much more fully before ending a lapping session.

I'd love brake ducts!!! As for carbon fiber, total waste and will drive the price up for no reason. Thermal plastic should be the only requirement.

Paul

Old 04-15-2004, 12:39 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
>>I'd love brake ducts!!! As for carbon fiber, total waste and will drive the price up for no reason. Thermal plastic should be the only requirement.
>>
>>Paul

Agreed, and I don't like putting carbon ricer crap on my car. If these were just made out of black ABS for around $100/pair (for just the ducts, no routing hoses required, you can buy the necessary stuff to complete the routing at Home Depot for $10.00) I'm sold.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:20 PM
enzothemaddog
Banned
I email-ed Peter at M7 about manufacturing a set of these a couple of months ago due to a set of warped standard discs after a track day. So Peter if you're reading this, PLEASE you're the man to do it!

Old 04-15-2004, 03:45 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo......my man

I'm working feverishly to get the CAI to market , and as you can guess this will not be your aunts CAI....

As for brake ducts, let me contemplate it and I let you know.

I do have to take ubridge to the Carbon Fiber equals Ricer...that's total noncense Zamirz unless Porsche. Ferrari
Williams etc are rice.....come on that's just silly.
The large (or small) question is, how many of you would buy a set even if it's $200?

peter horvath
Team M7
562-712-3270

Old 04-15-2004, 04:17 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
when form follows function (using carbon fiber) then I have no problem with it. Carbon fiber brake ducts, exterior trim pieces and dress-up items are totally ricer.....the carbon fiber is serving no purpose, other than "oooh, it's carbon fiber".

No Porsche production car (other than the Carrera GT) uses carbon fiber usefully, they're either dress-up crap for the interior (which is actually an overlay onto the stock pieces, making it HEAVIER than the stock non-carbon covered piece). The 2004 GT2s upper wing element is carbon fiber, and that does save a significant amount of weight, but the '04 GT2 also has "carbon-look" exterior mirror housings

Other than the Enzo and 360 Challenge Stradale, I don't know of any Ferrari that uses carbon fiber usefully either (or at all for that matter).

Peter, I think all your carbon fiber products are at the very least serving a useful purpose. Whether you provide the data to back up your claims or not, I think that because the front splitter, rear diffuser, rear spoiler are actually adding to the weight of the car (whatever material they're made out of), keeping the additional weight at a minimum is key and I applaud you on that. Things I can't stand that seem to sell very well are the front hood vent in carbon fiber, carbon mirror covers, engine dress-up items, interior dress-up items.......these items have ZERO performance benefit and are completely useless, which IMHO is ricer.

The only reason I responded in this thread is because someone mentioned that it should be made in carbon fiber, which disgusts me to no end

Old 04-16-2004, 02:12 AM
dcsmd007
>>you can buy the necessary stuff to complete the routing at Home Depot for $10.00

It doesn't seem overly difficult to do, utilizing the existing fog light openings as air intake vents and pipe the air to the front brakes. Anyone up to the challenge?

Old 04-16-2004, 05:43 AM
paulmon
4th Gear
>>>>you can buy the necessary stuff to complete the routing at Home Depot for $10.00
>>
>>It doesn't seem overly difficult to do, utilizing the existing fog light openings as air intake vents and pipe the air to the front brakes. Anyone up to the challenge?
>>

I'll be swapping my summer brake pads on this weekend and will take a poke to see what I can figure out. This is something I've been considering for a long time. My only concern would be any cutting that is required, I really don't want to have to cut anything. I suspect modifications to the dust shields would be required so the hose can get air to the brakes. We'll see what I can come up with.

Paul

Quick Reply: Drivetrain JCW brake duct kit