Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain My build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MNIPWR
Forged pistions expand a lot more than stock ones. I got a bigger bore because it will give me a few extra CC's and more CC equal more power. Before you order anything, read as much info as you can or have a performance shop do everything for you.
The overbore from 77 to 77.5 gives you 1.3% more cc's, ie 1598 to 1619cc, assuming the stroke is unchanged. It is hardly worth it just for the cc's to be honest. There are other advantages, ie allows better ideal match of pistons, as the existing bore will probably be slightly worn, scoured etc. Fitting new pistons to a newly bored block will allow an ideal fit. However, it will also make the run in period somewhat longer.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:36 AM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by robbo mcs
The overbore from 77 to 77.5 gives you 1.3% more cc's, ie 1598 to 1619cc, assuming the stroke is unchanged. It is hardly worth it just for the cc's to be honest. There are other advantages, ie allows better ideal match of pistons, as the existing bore will probably be slightly worn, scoured etc. Fitting new pistons to a newly bored block will allow an ideal fit. However, it will also make the run in period somewhat longer.
Yeah, the CC change is about 5cc per cylinder, it wont do much. Using basic math it would be a 3 HP gain. The real power gains will be from the turbo and head (once I get it). As you said the real benefit will be bore matched pistons; with the added benefit of knock protection.

R53 Warrior, still have not received the turbo back. Since it is the holidays it will be about 10 business days as apposed to 7.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 AM
czar
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, the CC change is about 5cc per cylinder, it wont do much. Using basic math it would be a 3 HP gain. The real power gains will be from the turbo and head (once I get it). As you said the real benefit will be bore matched pistons; with the added benefit of knock protection.

R53 Warrior, still have not received the turbo back. Since it is the holidays it will be about 10 business days as apposed to 7.
Where's the added benefit of knock protection coming from ?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by czar
Where's the added benefit of knock protection coming from ?
It comes from the proprieties of 2618 aluminum alloy. Contrary to popular belief forged pistons are not stronger than cast ones. The metal is actually softer. The reason they are considered to be stronger is because they can deal with high pressures and knock better. They are able to do this because the metal is softer. Where a cast piston may crack the forged one would not.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 PM
czar
4th Gear
Contrary to what you've written, if you've a detonation (knock) problem, your aftermarket pistons regardless of % metallurgy blends, will still fail from uncontrolled detonation (knock)

Old 12-30-2012, 01:02 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Contrary to what you've written, if you've a detonation (knock) problem, your aftermarket pistons regardless of % metallurgy blends, will still fail from uncontrolled detonation (knock)
Obviously they will fail if you get a bad enough knock event. The fact of the matter is, cast pistons will fail with a smaller knock event then forged pistons. That being said, any amount of knock is bad. Cast pistons are more brittle and can break easier than forged ones.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 PM
czar
4th Gear
Obviously they will fail if you get a bad enough knock event. The fact of the matter is, cast pistons will fail with a smaller knock event then forged pistons. That being said, any amount of knock is bad. Cast pistons are more brittle and can break easier than forged ones.
We could discuss this for quite some time, as you have rightly mentioned, the fact remains any uncontrolled (knock) detonation will give cause to piston/ring failure.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:18 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
We could discuss this for quite some time, the fact remains any uncontrolled (knock) detonation will give cause to piston/ring failure.
We are agreeing knock is bad. I don't get why you keep trying to make this point. I know this, and you know this. Ill try to clarify what I am saying.

This will be a somewhat bad example but you will be able to understand it. You can look at knock like hitting a piston with a hammer. If you have two pistons one cast and one forged and hit them both with equal force the cast piston will sustain more damage then the forged one. The forged one will also be damaged just not as bad as the cast one.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I wish I had known you were looking for an OS Giken Clutch I could have made you a good deal on mine. ALso is turbo work in your future? Oh yeah where are you in the world?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:36 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
I wish I had known you were looking for an OS Giken Clutch I could have made you a good deal on mine. ALso is turbo work in your future? Oh yeah where are you in the world?
My turbo has been at G-pop for about a week.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Oh cool., I am mailing mine out today maybe.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
This isnt much of an update. G-pop called and said my turbo will be going out tomorrow, and I dropped off everything at the machine shop. Block willl be bored out tomorrow.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Cone Assassin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you going to tune your car with in the end, and how much HP do you expect?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
I will have RMW re tune my car. I expect at least 240

Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Phobix
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I Don't doubt it. Im one of the younger people on this forum. Well at least i think so anyway. It seems like the average age of mini owner is in the 40s
How old are you? I was 26 when I got my '12 JCW clubbie. I cant wait to blow a ring so I can also rebuild the engine. I came into this having done 0 work on cars in the past and so far I have replaced my exhaust manifold (sucked, took me a long time as I just started taking stuff apart), had to helicoil my turbo as an engine stud broke off in the top most eye, done all of my mods myself (all of the common bolt-on's). The only thing I have left to do is put my suspension on (KW variant 3's with Vorcshlag plates and all that) and then wait for a ring to blow. I cant wait!

Last edited by Phobix; 01-04-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
My problem isn't age or knowledge, it's the fact that I'm only in my second year of college and my finances are atrocious.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Meh lets not compare age or anything because us young folk will always be trumped by some older ladies and gents with more experience.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:14 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Porthos
Meh lets not compare age or anything because us young folk will always be trumped by some older ladies and gents with more experience.
Working on car-wise not so much, Porthos. You and MNIPWR have me beat hands down and I have both of you guys by a couple of decades (damn that makes me feel old saying that!).

Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Phobix
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My problem isn't age or knowledge, it's the fact that I'm only in my second year of college and my finances are atrocious.
haha, I wasn't insinuating age was a problem, just asking since you mentioned that you thought you were vastly younger than people on NAM =) If anything, I am jealous of how much knowledge you have being so young (I am guessing early 20's).

Old 01-05-2013, 10:35 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thought I'd mention--love this thread!

Old 01-05-2013, 02:11 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Phobix
haha, I wasn't insinuating age was a problem, just asking since you mentioned that you thought you were vastly younger than people on NAM =) If anything, I am jealous of how much knowledge you have being so young (I am guessing early 20's).
Something like that. I didn't mean to imply you were insinuating age was an issue. I said that in the sense that I wouldn't of minded if my engine waited a bit longer till I had a real job and was not in college. If that was the case I probably would of sleeved my block and gone stroker. But hey Ill just save that for another day.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Cone Assassin
2nd Gear
I will have RMW re tune my car. I expect at least 240
No disrespect, but you are doing upgraded rods and pistons to make the same power as a JCW with software? Seems a bit overkill IMO.

Are you lightening the crank to match the weight of the rods/pistons?

Have you considered ceramic piston coatings rather than water/meth?

What intercooler are you using?

Please don't take any of my questions as being abrasive, I am just trying to understand more of the direction of your build.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:53 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Cone Assassin
No disrespect, but you are doing upgraded rods and pistons to make the same power as a JCW with software? Seems a bit overkill IMO.

Are you lightening the crank to match the weight of the rods/pistons?

Have you considered ceramic piston coatings rather than water/meth?

What intercooler are you using?

Please don't take any of my questions as being abrasive, I am just trying to understand more of the direction of your build.
I was basically already making JCW numbers.

I am not doing any of the internal engine work. The machine shop that is working on it is very reputable and builds drag car engines. They will be building mine as a high performance motor. Balancing and lighting the crank is included.

Meth and ceramic coated pistons do not do the same job. Meth cools the combustion temperatures while the ceramic coating raises them. I don't feel like explaining in detail but if you would like to know just reply and I will.

Basically ceramic coated pistons prevent the piston from stealing heat from combustion. The extra heat in combustion is then turned into rotational force. This can actually increase the chance of detonation.

I have a helix cooler.

Almost forgot to explain why I got upgraded pistons and rods. I could of got a new long block but I figured for a couple grand more I could build a motor that I could trow nitrous through if I wanted. So piece of mind really.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Cone Assassin
2nd Gear
My understanding was that the ceramic coatings deflect heat evenly, preventing hot spots on the pistons where detonation may occur. I've disassembled many engines with pockmarks around broken ring lands which I suspected were areas of high temp within the combustion chamber.

Instead of meth, do you have E85 in your area? That would give you a cooling effect similar to water/meth in addition to higher octane.

Also I am waiting for the day that someone runs an N12 head without DI (back to pulsed injectors on a fuel rail). Might be more tuning potential that way, as well as eliminating the carbon problem altogether. Just a side thought that came to mind looking over this thread.

Will be following to see how it turns out!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:57 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
I don't have E85 in my area. Your understanding is correct. You really have to have the head and valves coated as well to increase detonation potential. A lot of people will have everything coated and then run w/m. It increases efficiency and performance.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain My build thread.