Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain CAI for an automatic '06

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:06 PM
MuteMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI for an automatic '06

Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice on what CAIs will or will not be compatible with my mini.

I have an auto '06 MCS with no modifications. I know, I'm a terrible person for forgoing the manual, but I need to drive through crap traffic a lot. Unfortunately for me, most of the discussion is geared (hehe) towards the manual models.

When looking around I saw many CAIs (such as the Alta) which either had separate models for manual and auto or simply were not made for auto minis. Many more don't make any mention at all regarding compatibility which makes my life even harder especially since I'm a newbie when it comes to any under-the-hood stuff

Does anyone have any experience on what will/won't fit? Recommendations? What exactly are the sticking points? Any thoughts would be great.

I am looking for a stage 2 type CAI that replaces the OEM hose as well since mine has a hole and I fear for the life of my MAF sensor. Seemed like a good opportunity for an upgrade; better late than never I'm really not concerned about sound unless it's incredibly way too loud, but simply want whatever will provide the best response improvement. I hear a lot about the DDMs and Altas, but not much about the Afe. My buddy recommended the new Afe (stage II pro 5r) since the intake hose is much straighter than the earlier model and performs very well. I don't know that it will install in an auto though...

TLDR: Recommendations for full aftermarket CAIs that will install in an auto R53?

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
With the Automatic there is 2 hoses coming off the intake hose so most the aftermarket hoses won't work. And it doesn't matter as there isn't a HP difference with the hose.
I would recommend the DDM intake as it fits perfect and makes great power, been using it for years on my street car and my race car.

Also the other intakes like the Alta an a few other are wider and push on the brake line too much, the DDM gives you more room that you can clear it or at most you need to just put put a piece of rubber hose on it.

the metal tube with the Afe won't work on an AT trans.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 AM
DVS DEA
2nd Gear
I have 05 s auto and i am using the Alta for automatic. I also have the box top to keep it a little cooler. The alta is great workmanship and was very easy to install. I dont notice it pushing on the break lines at all so not sure if that has anything to do with it being an auto or manual.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:41 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Big fan of the "Dave F" modified stock airbox.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:39 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
+1 to DDMWorks CAI kit.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:44 AM
dubstepsteve
3rd Gear
yeah i like the David F one a lot too if you feel like destroying original parts or you could just get drunk and do what i did

but in all seriousness if you want a REAL cai i say go with the ddm works. but i think with most of the air boxes out there your still going to need to buy a new hose regardless since most of them just connect to the stock tube.
you could just buy a new hose? you wont be getting anything better with a new CAI system. your car wont be any faster and all that will change is the supercharger will be louder. if i were you i would just replace the hose with one from mini and be done

Old 09-15-2012, 05:19 PM
checkers
5th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
I have a Craven model. I like it, but it's hard to see in this pik. It's black chrome with a tinted plastic top.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:51 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Running a Alta V2 on mine, works well, fits, SC screams!

I picked up an Automatic hose, but I ended up selling it, the car is fine with just the CAI box and filter IMHO.

Also, fits with the M7 STB.