Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Durability of OS Giken GT Clutch (Survey)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:42 PM
TheMadDane
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Durability of OS Giken GT Clutch (Survey)

Trying to get a consensus.

How many of you have installed a OS Giken GT clutch and if so how many miles on it, and any problems?

I'm trying to find a solution to the terrible stock clutch (Cost/Reliability/Performance) issues I and many others have had.

My car 2009 R55 Clubman S, 42,000 miles.

Clutch has started slipping in 4th & 5th with hard acceleration.

Dealer wants $2600 to replace.

I'm looking at the OS Gikon GT from Way Motor Works $1800 for parts.

Total for local mechanic to R&R $1100.

Thanks.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:04 AM
brightside
2nd Gear
I'm interested in knowing this also. I'm not scared of spending the money on a product that works and works well. Dropping transmissions is no fun, i'd like to only do it once.

So if anyones got one, speak up!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've installed 8-9 of the OS clutches with out issue, a few see or saw several track days. From what I can figure from info the US branch provides, there have only been 4 issues world wide and its uncertain if user / install error is to blame. TBH i think the only complaint any one ever has is the cost.

Even though it's a gonna drive the cost up fot the job, this is the best time to do an lsd if you have plans to do so. Its realy just another hour or so after the trans is out.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I had one. Still do if you want to buy one with less the 10k on it. The throw out bearing arm snapped. When it did that it caused to of the bolt heas on the pressure plate (opposite sides) to pop off. I sent it back to OS Giken and they let me know everything was okay. I ended up putting a stock clutch back in it because I could not let it sit because I needed a car. I would suggest installing a new arm everytime you do a clutch becasue it looks like it is becoming a common fail part. PM if you want my clutch.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:37 PM
TheMadDane
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division
I've installed 8-9 of the OS clutches with out issue, a few see or saw several track days. From what I can figure from info the US branch provides, there have only been 4 issues world wide and its uncertain if user / install error is to blame. TBH i think the only complaint any one ever has is the cost.

Even though it's a gonna drive the cost up fot the job, this is the best time to do an lsd if you have plans to do so. Its realy just another hour or so after the trans is out.
Thanks Mike, good to know.
Have you seen/heard anything regarding this quote ---> I would suggest installing a new arm everytime you do a clutch becasue it looks like it is becoming a common fail part.

Thanks,

Claus