Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Will Oil Catch Can Void Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 PM
msabadish
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Oil Catch Can Void Warranty?

I have had recurrent engine problems with my 09 R56 at 20k miles. As my Warranty winds down I have a few questions:
1) Will the install of an Oil Catch Can void my drivetrain warranty? Is this an absolute, or is it up to the discretion of my dealer?
2) What is the point of the boost tap? I assume it's job is to remove sludge but I don't understand where the tap is supposed to drain.
Thanks for your help,
Michael

Old 03-04-2012, 10:11 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by msabadish
1) Will the install of an Oil Catch Can void my drivetrain warranty? Is this an absolute, or is it up to the discretion of my dealer?
To void the warranty, the dealer would have to prove the installed modification (ex: oil catch can) directly caused a part / component to fail.
Even picky-dealers have overlooked a OCC because its more a preventative maintenance item more than a "performance" modification.

Originally Posted by msabadish
2) What is the point of the boost tap? I assume it's job is to remove sludge but I don't understand where the tap is supposed to drain.
No, the boost tap is to "plug" / cap-off the passenger side PCV port.

Simply put, the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) is designed to remove unburned hydrocarbons from above the cylinder head. The two ports on the N14 (driver side and passenger side [closes during boost]) suck out the air from the valve cover that has oil vapor. With the passenger PCV plug and blocked, the evacuated air from the valve cover is directed through the catch can where the air is cooled to condense and fluid vapor. After leaving the catch can, the air is sucked into the inlet side of the turbocharger.

Since the turbo'ed "S"-model engines are direct injected, there's no fuel washdown on the backside of the valves in the cylinder head. As a result, the valves can have significant carbon build-up due to the oil vapor being baked on the valve. Many have documented that adding a catch can has reduced the amount of carbon coking on the valves.

- Erik

Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
What he said ^

Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 AM
rudeboim3
2nd Gear
can someone please elaborate on what 'oil catch can' is and what it is used for? sorry i'm still a noob......

Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 AM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rudeboim3
can someone please elaborate on what 'oil catch can' is and what it is used for? sorry i'm still a noob......
The crankcase (motor) builds pressure and oil and water vapors need to vent. The oil vapor from the crankcase passes through the PCV and hose before it is put back into the intake. The blowby vapors that end up in an engine's crankcase contain moisture as well as combustion byproducts and unburned fuel vapors. The crankcase is sealed to prevent the escape of these gases into the atmosphere, but the vapors must be removed to prevent oil contamination that leads to sludge formation. The positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system siphons these vapors from the crankcase and routes them into the intake manifold so they can be reburned in the engine.

The catch can is like a filter (inserted into the PCV hose location) that separates the sludge muck and water from the gas vapor (not fuel) and holds it / prevents sludge muck from reentering the motor's head where the air, fuel and spark make the pistons go up and down. Any contaminates that stick to the valves, valve seats or spark plugs will compromise your motors efficacy and performance. With a catch can you have to empty the trapped sludge muck from the catch can periodicity.

And I
Originally Posted by bluefox280
Since the turbo'ed "S"-model engines are direct injected, there's no fuel washdown on the backside of the valves in the cylinder head. As a result, the valves can have significant carbon build-up due to the oil vapor being baked on the valve. Many have documented that adding a catch can has reduced the amount of carbon coking on the valves.

- Erik
This video may help you understand the idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKOiEJtWlq0

Last edited by OceanMini2; 03-05-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM
rudeboim3
2nd Gear
[queue Keanu Reeves paranoid meme]

Old 03-16-2012, 11:35 AM
TheHossSauce
2nd Gear
Which Catch cans are the best value for the money? Are they relatively easy to install?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:55 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My dealership never said anything about my catch can.

Yes, they are very easy to install depending on where you want it mounted in the engine bay.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 PM
sLy201
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TheHossSauce
Which Catch cans are the best value for the money? Are they relatively easy to install?

all of the MINI owners i know have the BSH OCC... heres a link http://defendersofspeed.com/store/pr...?id_product=30

I plan on getting an OCC for my next mod and plan on getting the BSH one as well.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:00 PM
minimini482
4th Gear
I have the BSH cc and boost tap and have taken my car to the dealer a couple times with it installed. They havent mentioned it being an issue. And if they ever do I'll remind them of the issues with carbon buildup and the amount they charge to clean this buildup.
So far this has been a great mod. Worth the money IMO.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:52 PM
sLy201
5th Gear
yeah everyones right on this. it wont void anything out. MINI dealers in my area are very cool with mods on the MINI. as I have a bunch of stuff done and they service me and dont give me problems (i havent had anything serious yet though). actually was thinkin bout getting the extended maintenance and told the guy what i was plannin on doing to the car and he said most mods are okay except new clutches, braking system, turbo upgrades. if you still dont feel good about it just ask the dealership that you bring it to..