Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 04:02 PM
BMWgunfighter
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Questions

Hey guys, bought a 2003 R53 a week ago and love it. I have a few questions about the exhaust though. I've searched around and can't find anyone that is or had similar issues.

The car has an aftermarket exhaust on it. I love how it sounds ... except when starting from a stop or at low RPM. It sounds like it is hitting the chassis underneath. I crawled under there to see if it was really close to the chassis anywhere and there are a few spots that it is kinda tight above it but when I grab it and try to move it it doesn't go anywhere, it feels really solid. All of the exhaust hanger bushings appear to be in really good shape and present. The exhaust is touching the center chassis support that is bolted underneath in the middle of the car, could this be causing that or is it normal?

There is no brand name on the exhaust anywhere that I can see so another downside is that it could be some ghetto eBay exhaust.

Also, it unfortunately looks like someone that is extremely challenged when it comes to vehicles put it on. Here are some photos:

One last question, I've seen a few exhausts with these brackets on them (next photo), but am not sure how they're supposed to be. Hooked together, somewhere else, etc. Can I get some insight into this?

Excuse the grime! Weather isn't helping keep the car clean here in the PNW.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:20 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That bracket is supposed to be bolted together. Pull the tips together and put a suitable nut and bolt in 'em. Probably the source of the noise.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:00 PM
BMWgunfighter
1st Gear
Well, I pulled the tips together and they started touching before the brackets even got remotely close sooooo I just ordered a new exhaust, lol.

The one on the car is complete crap anyways. I have the Invidia exhaust on the way now.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Enzof104
3rd Gear
I too purchased an 03 R53 about 3 weeks ago. Congrats on the purchase! Question - I've been looking for a new exhaust as well since I got the car. What made you choose the invidia? I cant decide whether to go with that, the Alta, or one from stratmosphere.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Cole9953
4th Gear
Ireland Engineering FTW!
high quality, great sound, and cheap

Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 PM
BMWgunfighter
1st Gear
I went with the Invidia as most of my automotive background is with Japanese cars and I've seen how nice they look out of the box and that they also perform well. I did some YouTube checking on sound also. Couldn't go wrong with $639 + free shipping either!

I have received mine in, haven't had a chance to put it on yet. Quality looks amazing and I'm thinking installation should be a breeze!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 PM
BMWgunfighter
1st Gear
Well, I put the Invidia exhaust on this past Saturday and the old one came off and the new one went on like a dream. No problems issues or hiccups.

I figured out why the old aftermarket exhaust sounded so horrible. As I stated in the beginning, whoever owned this before me was EXTREMELY auto-retarded. The middle pipe was on upside down and the exhaust hangers weren't in the correct holes on the exhaust hanger bushings.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 AM
Enzof104
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Cole9953
Ireland Engineering FTW!
Cole. Do you get any droning with your ireland? I drive quite a bit on th highway and just want to make sure that isn't an issue before I make the purchase. Do u have any sound clips? I tried YouTube but could only find one or two.

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2012, 05:30 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 257 Likes on 192 Posts
Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 PM
johnnymonza
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Cole9953
Ireland Engineering FTW!
Cole9953,

How is the IE Exh?
Easy to fit ?
Any HP benefit ?
Does the sound intrude in cab ?

i just bought a 2003 MCS and it needs a new cat back.
i am looking at the Invidia on WMW - but I also like the look of that Ieland - and the one ball approach.

lmk what you think of it.

tx,
Monza!

Old 03-30-2012, 06:40 AM
Cole9953
4th Gear
here is a clip of the IE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgLGcfGo92w from that you can find two more vids i posted, the mic is not great but its better than the other IE exhaust videos.

I took me about an 2 hours to install by myself, I had no issues as it is a very straight forward and simple install.

As far a HP gain, I would be very surprised if any aftermarket cat back for these cars did any better or worse than another.

The sound is a very nice deep tone with no rasp, or drone. in the cab you know its there at WOT and moderate acceleration, but its pretty quiet during normal cruising (nothing to raise your voice for..)

most people have one issue with the IE and that is the dual tips, as the metal heats up one of the tips gets longer than the other, so man people trim them back or replace the tip, with a single tip. (now IE offers a optional single wide mouth tip that would solve that issue)

Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 AM
johnnymonza
1st Gear
Cole9953,

Thanks that helps.
Nice sounding too.
Not sure I want a single tip tho - I like twins...

Seems like a great deal tho.

Thx.
Monza.