Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain What's the differenece??

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:43 PM
DVUS CPRS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the differenece??

Ok guys, I need a little insite here. I have a 2010 R56 Cpr S, but the engine is a N18. This is mainly concerning the PCV location. Mine is facing the front of the car, so I take it the N14 is the one facing the side of the car?

Apparently, there's a big enough difference between the two that BSH has an oil catch can for the N18 and NM Engineering has an "additional" part to add to their new catch can, which looks the business btw, so much so I think I want it over the BSH.

Also, with the airbox, is it the same size as the N14 engine? I'm looking at installing a K&N drop in filter, I know some of you are asking why not go for a CAI. Our speeds here don't really get going fast enough to take full advantage of a CAI and it gets really hot and humid summer time, so sucking in hot ambient along with hot engine bay air would be a negative for making/ keeping power. If I do go for a CAI, it would be the NM version (can you tell I'm a fan of their quality), can I still put the full pipe kit for the 07-2010 R56 onto mine? I don't really like the N18 half *** version of their intake system.

Thanks in advance guys

Attached Thumbnails What's the differenece??-photo_00003.jpg   What's the differenece??-photo_00004.jpg   What's the differenece??-photo_00005.jpg  

Last edited by DVUS CPRS; 02-29-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DVUS CPRS
This is mainly concerning the PCV location. Mine is facing the front of the car, so I take it the N14 is the one facing the side of the car?
The N18 only has one port, on the vehicle left side of the engine.
The N14 has two ports, one facing vehicle left, and the other facing towards the rear, vehicle right.

Apparently, there's a big enough difference between the two that BSH has an oil catch can for the N18 and NM Engineering has an "additional" part to add to their new catch can, which looks the business btw, so much so I think I want it over the BSH.
There are pictures of the BSH unit installed on the N18:
* https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...011-mcs-7.html
It look quite clean, but the choice is totally up to you. NM's fabrication is superb no doubt.

Also, with the airbox, is it the same size as the N14 engine?
Have you checked part numbers via RealOEM.com to see if it's the same?

If I do go for a CAI, it would be the NM version (can you tell I'm a fan of their quality), can I still put the full pipe kit for the 07-2010 R56 onto mine? I don't really like the N18 half *** version of their intake system.
Have you seen the 2011+ full intake assembly from NM since you're not in the US?
* http://nm-eng.com/nm6588562-nm-eng-h...ction-kit.html

- Erik

Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 PM
DVUS CPRS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank Erik for all those info links.
That's the intake I was looking at, but hadn't seen a 2011 version.
They both look the same though.