Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain NM Engineering ECU Flash

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Drewbrese
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NM Engineering ECU Flash

Anybody else read about the NM Engineering ECU flash for the N18 engine in the MAR/APR issue of European Car?

Long story short, 202HP/210LB-FT measured at the wheels, $500. This was an increase of 32whp over stock.

I'm excited!

Last edited by Drewbrese; 02-27-2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Measured at the wheels
Old 02-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Hawk 06MCS
2nd Gear
Wrong Forum, sorry.

Last edited by Hawk 06MCS; 02-27-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 PM
claud
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Hawk 06MCS
Being a new 2006 MCS owner I have a question for the more experienced Mini Tuner guys. What kind of Horse Power gains can I expect from an ECU Flash reprogramming with a C.A.I., a 15% pulley, and stock injectors and exhaust? I'm just trying to figure out where to put my mod money to get the best bang for the buck in the HP department. There has to be a few R53 guys who have done this sort of thing...
This is an R56 forum. Please check out the 1st gen forums.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 PM
2009R56JCW
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drewbrese
Anybody else read about the NM Engineering ECU flash for the N18 engine in the MAR/APR issue of European Car?

Long story short, 202HP/210LB-FT, $500.

I'm excited!
Kinda low #s

Old 02-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Drewbrese
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 2009R56JCW
Kinda low #s
Not huge numbers, but its measured at the wheels. Considering the JCW tuning kit from MINI makes less power for more money it sounds good to me.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:21 PM
2009R56JCW
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not huge numbers, but its measured at the wheels. Considering the JCW tuning kit from MINI makes less power for more money it sounds good to me.

Edit your post to whp instead of hp.I agree 200ish whp is pretty good.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Drewbrese
3rd Gear
Fixed. Its an increase of 32 hp at the wheels over stock.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 AM
sLy201
5th Gear
is this something one can install on an MCS without having special mod parts on the car or this flash is meant to be with all OEM parts ??

Old 02-27-2012, 06:30 AM
Drewbrese
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sLy201
is this something one can install on an MCS without having special mod parts on the car or this flash is meant to be with all OEM parts ??
NM Engineering loads their own engine tuning program into the existing ECU. No other mods needed. Completely reverisble. You do need to bring them your ECU however.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:06 AM
sLy201
5th Gear
tried this link but need to be a member in order to read the article ... anyone have any other links for this part that I can read up on ...

http://www.europeancarweb.com/toc/thismonth/index.html

Old 03-03-2012, 10:06 AM
joshknot
3rd Gear
A moderator should move this over to the R60 subforum. I've been looking for info on NM's tune for the CM, and didn't stumble on this until I found it through a Google search.

My preference is to wait for a flash-loader option to come out, but in the meantime this type of tuning option is looking pretty tempting.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Drewbrese
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joshknot
A moderator should move this over to the R60 subforum. I've been looking for info on NM's tune for the CM, and didn't stumble on this until I found it through a Google search.

My preference is to wait for a flash-loader option to come out, but in the meantime this type of tuning option is looking pretty tempting.
It's specific to the N18 engine not the CM.

A flash loader access port install is nice but what is the real advantage for the common driver who doesn't have access to a dyno or any tuning knowledge?

Old 03-04-2012, 02:10 PM
joshknot
3rd Gear
It's specific to the N18 engine not the CM.

A flash loader access port install is nice but what is the real advantage for the common driver who doesn't have access to a dyno or any tuning knowledge?
Fair point about the applicability of the thread to all cars with the N18 engine- my bad.

As for preferring a flash loader- I personally see value in being able to swap between stock and tuned mappings at will for different situations (dealer visits, driving preference of guest drivers, etc.), and would like to be able to get the "tune" back after a dealer software update without taking the 600 mile round trip down to see the NM-Eng folks for a reflash. If those factors don't play into your value equation, then tunes like what we're seeing from PAW in FL and NM here in CA are a great option.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Drewbrese
3rd Gear
[/QUOTE]
As for preferring a flash loader- I personally see value in being able to swap between stock and tuned mappings at will for different situations (dealer visits, driving preference of guest drivers, etc.), and would like to be able to get the "tune" back after a dealer software update without taking the 600 mile round trip down to see the NM-Eng folks for a reflash. If those factors don't play into your value equation, then tunes like what we're seeing from PAW in FL and NM here in CA are a great option.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Jupiter
1st Gear
From what I've read the chance of a flash loading system for the N18 is not good. I give it far less than a 50-50 shot at ever happening.

Everything I read requires the removal and opening of the ECU in order to load a tune. Now we all know that once you open the ECU your warranty is history so I don't know how big the market for this "service" is gonna be? I guess mostly older, high mileage cars maybe?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 AM
laforze
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going in for a flash next month most likely on my 2008 R56. I've been talking to these guys over the last couple of days and am excited! It's only like a 3 hour round trip for me.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 AM
UKM1NI
2nd Gear
laforze who did you speak to? I have been writing for a couple of days now and they told me I would have to send my ECU to England. It is a 3 day turn around. If I could have the information you got, I would much appreciate it.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 AM
laforze
4th Gear
PM sent.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by laforze
I'm going in for a flash next month most likely on my 2008 R56. I've been talking to these guys over the last couple of days and am excited! It's only like a 3 hour round trip for me.
I see you have an '08. Out of curiosity what has lead you to choose the NM flash over the AP?

Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 AM
laforze
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division
I see you have an '08. Out of curiosity what has lead you to choose the NM flash over the AP?
In all honesty, two factors.

1. Price
2. The most important - All the threads and posts that are negative towards the various dyno tunes out there. At first I was heading towards rmw when i first got the car. Then I read various issues people had with the rmw tune. Then I was going to head with the Mynes tune. Started reading issues with their tunes as well. I didn't get a very good feeling about either, and being that this is my only mode of transportation, I can't be left without a car.

Now with NM-engineering, they have the backing of a bigger company, Neuspeed. Neuspeed has been around for so long, working with flashes for the vw's for at least a decade now, I have a easier time taking that risk of just going with a flash vs a tune.

With that said, I know after I have that tune done, I'm totally going to want to get a dyno tune later down the road. That's fine because by then, I'll have all the go-fast mods on my car and will be ready for them.

As for right now, I want the added benefit of the flash with my current mods while I wait for some prototype parts that will be coming down the road.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by laforze
In all honesty, two factors.

1. Price
2. The most important - All the threads and posts that are negative towards the various dyno tunes out there. At first I was heading towards rmw when i first got the car. Then I read various issues people had with the rmw tune. Then I was going to head with the Mynes tune. Started reading issues with their tunes as well. I didn't get a very good feeling about either, and being that this is my only mode of transportation, I can't be left without a car.

Now with NM-engineering, they have the backing of a bigger company, Neuspeed. Neuspeed has been around for so long, working with flashes for the vw's for at least a decade now, I have a easier time taking that risk of just going with a flash vs a tune.

With that said, I know after I have that tune done, I'm totally going to want to get a dyno tune later down the road. That's fine because by then, I'll have all the go-fast mods on my car and will be ready for them.

As for right now, I want the added benefit of the flash with my current mods while I wait for some prototype parts that will be coming down the road.
I totally understand brand loyalty. If Neuspeed is a company you trust and want to stick with then no one can knock your reasoning for using them. Also since we are not done with the 2011 software, I can see how this would be appealing to the 2011+ owners.

However you own a 2008 MCS and did bring up some other reasons for going the NM route. I feel you may want to look into the Alta/ Cobb AP a little more before fully committing to the NM flash.

At face value the NM flash is cheaper then the AP. For what you get though the AP will actually save you money in the long run, especially with your plans to further mod your car.

With the NM flash your paying $500 for a flash, plus the cost of gas and personal time to take it to them. With the AP you will spend about $400 more, but you will receive 3-4 proven maps relevant to the 91 oct fuel available to you. These maps can be switched by you and will only take about 5 min of your time to flash. The maps are designed for various stages of modification, so you can update your map as you add mods or return the car to stock. That alone is equal to $1500-$2000 in re-flashes from NM, and you can do it any where you take the car, as long as you have the AP with you.

The AP was developed by Cobb for Alta, so you have backing of a major tuning company that's been in business for over 10 years and employs some of the best tuners and ECU engineers in the country. The MINI AP has been in use since late 2010 with almost 2 years of testing prior to its release. Alta provides great customer support as well as free updates to the standard maps as they come across improvements or new maps to support the current popular mods.

Your future plans to dyno tune also favor the purchase of the AP. Since custom maps can be loaded to it, all you would need to pay for is the tune and dyno time. There is also a Cobb pro tuner 45 min from Chino, so you have the piece of mind knowing that there is a competent tuner available to you when that time comes.

The AP will also give you the ability to Data log and view live data. This is extremely valuable since it will allow you to record and view what your engine is doing. You can use it like a scan gauge or peak/hold gauge to monitor pretty much any sensor output on the engine as well.

You can also read and clear codes with the AP. Again this is a great feature that a bench tune will not provide and will eliminate the cost of having some one read the codes for you or purchasing a reader.

There are other features and perks to owning an AP but those are the majors ones. Keep in mind I'm not trying to sell you on anything, even though I obviously work for Cobb. I just don't want you to short change your self. I've even been using the AP on my car since December of 2010 and have yet to find an issue with it that would lead me to use another tuning product.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 PM
laforze
4th Gear
Don't make me like you MIKE! It's not good for me when i like you.