Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain help please engine ground

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 02:21 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help please engine ground

whats the best way to make a new ground for the cable that ties my engine to the car frame?

I was removing my alta oil catch can.
dthe bottom of the oil can was apparently held by a nut over the engine ground bolt. (I had forgotten that). The oil had eroded the nut so I had to drill it out. Needless to say, I ground down the bolt that anchors the cable from the engine to the frame.

Its a lot of work to go underneath and install a new bolt (very limited access)
Any suggestions for an easy way to ground the cable?
I could drill into the frame right next to the existing bolt, but not I'd be installing a screw instead of a bolt. Would locktite do the trick?.
thanks, the MINI is just waiting for some help!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 PM
oxspeed
Former Vendor
can you supply pictures? Im having a bit of trouble understanding what nut your reffering to. the engine to chassis ground is located on the upper motor mount to the chassis frame. the frame side of the ground wire has a bolt that sticks out of the frame rail, your saying thats all gone? if so, your best bet is not going to be drilling and running a bolt but simply using an exsisting bolt on the chassis. post up some picks Im sure we can help

Old 02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Pics of ground strap

This shows the strap in the engine compartment.
Originally the engine was grounded to the frame at #1.
You can see that I had to grind the nut/bolt away to remove the Alta oil catch can. It was installed on top of the strap (manufacturer's instructions).
I drilled a hole and bolted the strap at #2.

Attached Thumbnails help please engine ground-strap-location.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Here's a close up of where I reattached the strap. My concern is that the metal in this location is thin. I mean its stiff, but its very thin. The connection is secure. I just don't know how hefty the connection needs to be. Would it help if I bolted a few washers on either side of the strap?

Attached Thumbnails help please engine ground-engine-strap-2.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
:? Dead in the water till I get your help --thanks

What exactly does the ground strap do?
I did buy a bunch of 4 gauge battery straps, so if I have to go to a different location hopefully I'll have just the right length. But I didn't see anything nearby that looked easy...I'd much rather work with what Ive got so far.
Appreciate your help, I can't start 'er up till I know its safe.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:23 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That looks fine, you will know if it doesn't work. As long as that metal is part of the same piece the original bolt was attached to, there should be no difference. Just make sure the bolt has more metal contact than just the hole sides. Over time it might go bad and leave you stranded.

Remove the paint, weld a bolt, then prime and paint to prevent rust and it is good as new.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Grrrreaat! Thanks

Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That should be fine as mentioned. If that ground strap comes off, the car won't turn over. I busted the engine mount side of mine and drilled it out to fit on top. On a long trip it snapped free and eventually the car went dead (loss of power steering, radio and nav died). I pulled off the road and tried to restart the car not knowing what was happening and nothing. I eventually found the strap loose and stuffed it into the mount and the car started right up. I had to limp it to a gas station to get it temporarily repaired. I replaced the motor piece and strap for about 150.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:02 AM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Maybe just welding a new stainless steel bolt to the frame would take care of your problem. Use stainless washers top and bottom and snug it down tight with a stainless lockwasher and nut .

I would suggest going to a racing shop in your area as they most likely can do it correctly without frying all the electronics in your Mini.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:00 AM
oxspeed
Former Vendor
sorry for not getting back looks like it worked out then?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:43 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
I haven't tackled it yet. The thought of using my mig welder in my engine bay gives me pause...At the lleast, I will go to HF to get a welding blanket or two. . The location is very accessible, just need to think it thru and get it done. I'll post my work (or my Woe )

Old 03-03-2012, 05:06 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take the ground off the engine, disconnect battery, and might as well disconnect ECU since it is easy. Clamp the weld ground as close as possible to weld area. That should keep things running right.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:14 AM
jmoser
4th Gear
Where do I disconnect the ECU?

Old 03-03-2012, 02:20 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmoser
Where do I disconnect the ECU?
On top of the ECU (next to the intake) there is a cover on top of the ECU. It lifts off (swivels to the rear of the car) and then there are two connectors. On the front connecter there is a little "handle" looking piece that slides towards you and releases the connector. The rear is the same but the piece slides towards the back.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:50 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
IMHO, you don't need to weld. Look at the engine ground connection. It's not welded. It's bolted. Just drill a hole in the frame where you were going to weld. Clean off the paint so as to make a good ground. Run a bolt up thru the hole, put a steel washer and nut on it, then the ground cable, then another lock washer and nut. It'll do fine. Remember, that's not your primary ground. That's at the battery. This is just engine ground. You're not going to have high amperage/starter load on it.