Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain GTB Performance Official First Look : AR Design Downpipe!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:32 PM
GTBPerformance
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GTB Performance Official First Look : AR Design Downpipe!

DOWNPIPE LAUNCH GIVEAWAY NOW IN EFFECT! - FOLLOW THE LINK AND SUBMIT YOUR PICTURES TO ARDESIGN FOR A CHANCE TO WIN A CATLESS DOWNPIPE

GTB Performance would like to say hi to the Mini Modding community. We have been involved with the BMW modding community for some time. But we are just getting our feet wet in the Mini modding scene.

As a two time mini owner myself (03 MCS and 08 MCS JCW) I've always enjoyed the awesome and fun characters who drive Mini's and I think there is tons of potential for these little track monsters.

And on that note, we'd like to introduce to you a sneak peak at our first offering to the Mini Community : The AR Design Downpipe for the R56 Turbo 1.6

It will be offered in two versions : Catless and With High Flow Race Cat.

A little about AR Design :

ARDesign has been a leader in Downpipe technology Turbocharged BMW motors since the release of the storied N54 motor with the 2007 E92 335i Coupe. Since then they have developed a wide range of exhaust solutions for all kinds of BMW's, Turbocharged Audi solutions, along with Exhaust and Fueling solutions for the C5 and C6 Corvettes.

They are one of the most respected names in Downpipes for European automobiles.

We need your help first!

We are looking for a couple of R56 or later Mini Cooper S' drivers in the Denver, Colorado area to help us and ARDesign with testing of the product. Specifically we need a Mini with a COBB flash tune and or exhaust/intake to swing by ARDesign's shop at 955 Decatur St, Denver, CO.

What will you get for your help?

Free dyno runs to establish baseline power figures, and post install dynos for tuning establishing power and torque gains.

A SWEET discount on the finish product when it comes out, and first dibs on the initial batch after completion.

A first look test drive with the downpipe!
a test drive with the new downpipe installed, and a SWEET discount on the downpipes once they hit production.

So give us a call at 973 429 2839 or email us at sales@gtbperformance.com or reach out to ARDesign at 303 351 3515 to set this up!

And now the good stuff!

Teaser picture of the prototype

The specs

This will be a 3 inch inlet pipe feeding to a 5 inch race catalyst (200 cpsi) tapering to a 2.5 inch outlet as far away from the turbo as possible.

100% hand crafted in the USA from premium 304 Stainless Steel - flanges and O2 bungs included

Water-jet cut 304 Stainless cat-back flanges, and CNC'd 304 Stainless V-Band flanges.

100% TIG welded, argon back-purged.

Set of our exclusive bomb-proof exhaust gaskets included.

Grade 10.9 Metric Hardware (145,000PSI tensile strength, C32-C39 Rockwell, Zinc Plated), and Nord-Lock positive locking re-usable washers included.

Factory location O2 bungs

Available with a 2000°F ceramic coating. Coatings come with a 3 year warranty against corrosion and rust to original owner.

Lifetime warranty against any manufacturing defects given to original owner.

We do NOT grind/polish our welds as some other manufacturers do. Grinding welds compromises the strength of the weld, and can lead to weld failure! Especially critical in applications exposed to temperatures in excess of 1200°F. Such temperatures will also rapidly deteriorate the polished finish.

Hope to hear from everyone soon!

Thanks!

-Rich
GTB Performance!

Last edited by GTBPerformance; 08-03-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Spigot1999
1st Gear
Hey Rich,
Just sent an Email. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks,
Jared

Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 PM
teebo7
3rd Gear
Always glad to see another company producing aftermarket parts for the mini!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I'm not in colorado, but i'm very excited to see some of your products. Looks like some very nice pieces!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 AM
JS352
1st Gear
isn't it just another down pipe like akrapovic and milltek? i have a milltek fitted so i can't see this 1 being any different for power

Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 AM
GTBPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Spigot1999
Hey Rich,
Just sent an Email. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks,
Jared
Jared, got your email. I'll send you one back in a little bit

Originally Posted by teebo7
Always glad to see another company producing aftermarket parts for the mini!
Thanks teebo!

Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
Yeah, I'm not in colorado, but i'm very excited to see some of your products. Looks like some very nice pieces!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by JS352
isn't it just another down pipe like akrapovic and milltek? i have a milltek fitted so i can't see this 1 being any different for power
JS

Sure, its a downpipe... but it won't be anywhere near the price of the Akrapovic Pipe. US Mini owners will also be able to take advantage of the fact that the high price of shipping won't be rolled into the cost of the downpipe like with the Milltek system. Also for those who like buying American Owned and Made, this piece is for them. But thanks for posting!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Drewbrese
3rd Gear
Good to see another company making MINI parts. Any chance you can crack the 2011+ ECU's as well?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 AM
GTBPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Drewbrese
Good to see another company making MINI parts. Any chance you can crack the 2011+ ECU's as well?
Drew

Good question. Our partners at ARDesign focus exclusively on exhausts but we do have partners who are very heavily invested in the ECU business.

I am guessing the DME/ECU for the latest (2011+) 1.6l Turbo is slightly different than the original yes?

Old 02-08-2012, 02:31 PM
ar design
Neutral
Hey guys,

Wanted to pop in real quick and say hello! We just finished dyno-ing the 3" catted downpipe, and showed gains of 10whp/10wtq on the top end. With NO re-tune, which is really needed to take advantage of a downpipe.

Rich will be releasing more details on the downpipe as we make progress. I should have 10+ sets available in stock next week, and GTB will be handling sales etc here on NAMotoring!

Attached Thumbnails GTB Performance Official First Look : AR Design Downpipe!-r56-stock-dp-jan-s-tune.jpg   GTB Performance Official First Look : AR Design Downpipe!-r56-3in-catted-jan-s-tune.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ar design
Hey guys,

Wanted to pop in real quick and say hello! We just finished dyno-ing the 3" catted downpipe, and showed gains of 10whp/10wtq on the top end. With NO re-tune, which is really needed to take advantage of a downpipe.

Rich will be releasing more details on the downpipe as we make progress. I should have 10+ sets available in stock next week, and GTB will be handling sales etc here on NAMotoring!
Definitely needs a tune. Any R56 opened up that much will always lose it's low end. Good job thought and welcome.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:20 PM
rum4
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good to see an American company getting into the melee

Old 02-10-2012, 10:46 PM
GTBPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ar design
Hey guys,

There he is! The man who makes it all possible!

Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division
Definitely needs a tune. Any R56 opened up that much will always lose it's low end. Good job thought and welcome.

Originally Posted by rum4
good to see an American company getting into the melee
Agreed. As much as I love Akrapovic, I like what ARDesign does even better! Keeping the dollars in the USA!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 PM
GTBPerformance
Former Vendor
Just a heads up guys, we are still looking for a couple of cars to test with either a COBB/Accessport Tune or comparible flashloader/piggyback ECU tune with stage 2 maps for downpipes.

That way we can get you guys some solid numbers on the dyno and ARDesign can tweak the design for maximum power.

If anyone can help out, the Free Dyno runs and excellent discount are still up for grabs! Looking for folks around the Denver area. Give me a call at 973 429 2839 and we can set something up.

Have a great weekend guys!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats on your downpipe project.

Why go from 3" to 2.5"? Is the argument for less backpressure in the pipe? I can't imagine that the difference between your current design and 2.5" --> 2.5" is that much different.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 PM
GTBPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Congrats on your downpipe project.

Why go from 3" to 2.5"? Is the argument for less backpressure in the pipe? I can't imagine that the difference between your current design and 2.5" --> 2.5" is that much different.
Good question!

Its the same theory you use when relocating cats further away from the engine in order to increase exhaust speed and in turn, power. Starting at 3" allows the backpressure to be minimal at the manifold which is ideal for a turbo setup.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 PM
GTBPerformance
Former Vendor
Still looking for a tester with a tune! Email me if you can help!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:30 AM
GTBPerformance
Former Vendor
We are going to have studio shots soon guys!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:46 PM
GTBPerformance
Former Vendor
Any and all help appreciated!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 PM
mcmmotorsports
3rd Gear
Any updates on these?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
timwu12
Banned
video of the pipe on the dyno?

Old 05-16-2012, 12:06 AM
BoostMe
2nd Gear
this is good stuff... More product and made in the USA too!

Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 AM
GTBPerformance
Former Vendor
Great news guys, we now have a giveaway running for the product launch!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3564140

Get into it!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:29 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Coming from the BMW side of things, I'm glad AR Design is finally making a DP for the R56. They made an amazing DP for the E90/E92, so cheers for continued success in the R5x realm. :D

Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 AM
GTBPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Coming from the BMW side of things, I'm glad AR Design is finally making a DP for the R56. They made an amazing DP for the E90/E92, so cheers for continued success in the R5x realm. :D
Thanks!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:26 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Of course this will create a cel because of the 200 cell cat right?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain GTB Performance Official First Look : AR Design Downpipe!