Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Alta Diverter Valve Install and Test Opinion (With Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:31 AM
donuttang
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sacred Disorder
Is the sound is like a slight whistle? While only partially on the throttle while still in Vaccum you will hear the DV whistle. It is normal and does not effect anything. Just takes some time to get used to!

My experience so far is that if the resistor goes you will get 0 boost. None. You will not even hear the turbo and the car feels like poo. But I never got a cel or limp mode. So it would be something to check.

it seems like it....I have refit and tight it again, same whistling sound....

other than that whistling, everything seems better.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah the Whistle is completely normal and nothing to fret about!!

Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Sacred Disorder said! The whistle is there to stay and part of having this DV. Personally I like it. Tells me what's going on with the car while I'm driving. You won't notice it much after while.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:18 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TazMinianDevil
What map are you using?

This AM I put the Stage 2 TPS (what I run in summer and most familiar with), and in stop and go 0-55 traffic I never saw anything over 9psi. Hard run on ramp saw 16-18, and then a WOT 6th gear pull saw 19.9psi.

Before the the Diverter Valve I would see 12-14psi in stop and go traffic, with peaks of 21 on ramp runs.

I'm choosing to think of this as a good thing. While technically less boost, it is a more consistent and predictable power band. I would love to see a comparison of dyno charts with the DV.
After my post concerning boost issues I went for a drive. Car warmed up to operating temp and did both stop/go driving as well as a few on ramp pulls and one WOT through 6th gear. This was running stage 1 FMIC 92 oct. all was well again and I was seeing boost levels like you mentioned in the first part of your post.

Not sure what the problem was that day. I suppose the car coulda been cold though I don't think so. As we all know sometimes cars just do strange things. MINI's seem particularly adept at this lol. This DV really is a nice addition. Looking forward to adding my turbo back exhaust here soon and on to stage 2/3!

Old 01-21-2013, 04:50 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
We're the ambient temperatures different? The boost will vary with temperature. You will see higher boost levels with a higher ambient temp or higher intake manifold temps. So if you are comparing runs on a 35 degree day to a run on a 50 degree day it could explain the differences.

-Brian

Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
1/4 watt yes?

Mine was folded over. Might consider putting 2 in a box just incase... A quick internet search shows these aren't a terribly common size, so getting at a Radio Shack might not be an option if one breaks.
That will work. Wattage doesn't really matter though for this.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:04 PM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Thinking of putting a little liquid tape on the resistor. Any reason not too?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thinking of putting a little liquid tape on the resistor. Any reason not too?
I was thinking the same, except I cannot find a temp. rating on the liquid tape I have. I'm a little worried it might melt out. So, for now I'm running 3m electrical tape, it has a 220F degree rating. So far, it's doing the job, just wish I could make it more waterproof. Let me know what you do.

-Steven

Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 AM
MINIutia
3rd Gear
Resistors 2.1k ohms 1/4 Watt 1%

I've just ordered a lot of 100 resistors, I'm certain I'll never need that many.

If anyone wants extras, I'll send you 10 by US mail for $2. Send me PM if interested.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BlueToy
I was thinking the same, except I cannot find a temp. rating on the liquid tape I have. I'm a little worried it might melt out. So, for now I'm running 3m electrical tape, it has a 220F degree rating. So far, it's doing the job, just wish I could make it more waterproof. Let me know what you do.

-Steven

Steven. Not sure which brand you have but the Gardner Bender brand of liquid elec tape I picked up at Lowes has a -30 to +200 degree F rating. I bought the stuff after you had mentioned it during a discussion via pm. I ended up wrapping my resistor/plug in 3M Super 88 electric tape which is what i had on hand during install and its held like a champ so far. Its thicker and has a better temp/weather rating than the usual 3M 33 stuff. No drying, cracking, turning gummy or peeling away but then its only been on since Nov.

I've thought about removing it and trying the liquid tape but the standard tape is working fine so far and I worry about how difficult it might be to remove the liquid tape if I ever have to since I'm sure it'll fill every nook and cranny of that plug.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
my solution is a shrink tube cap, here is a source but most electronics catalog companies should have them

http://www.cableorganizer.com/heat-s...caps/#features

these are adhesive lined and will provide an environmental seal while retaining the resistor

scott

Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
That looks like a pretty ideal solution. The hardest part about wrapping the plug with electric tape is getting your hands in there enough to do it without bungling the tape all up.

Do these shrink tubes conform down onto the resistor enough to help keep it in place and what size did you go with?

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 02-05-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:35 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
That looks like a pretty ideal solution. The hardest part about wrapping the plug with electric tape is getting your hands in there enough to do it without bungling the tape all up.

Do these shrink tubes conform down onto the resistor enough to help keep it in place and what size did you go with?
i have not purchased the DV yet, but the technique would be to use shrink tube over the resistor to build up the size closer to the size of the connector followed by a longer piece of shrink tube over the resistor and connector and then use the cap to seal the end

as to size, i will have to wait until i get mine, but i always have an assortment on hand

scott

edit

in this application, i would use adhesive lined shrink tube and cap to get an environmental seal

scott

Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Ahh I see. My bad, I assumed you'd installed one. Great idea though and at the price for the shrink tubing I can pick up an assortment to try out. Ill measure the female plug tomorrow to get an idea on sizes to get.

As I mentioned the tape is holding up great but I wouldn't mind trying a cleaner more efficient way to deal with it and forget about it.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
Ahh I see. My bad, I assumed you'd installed one. Great idea though and at the price for the shrink tubing I can pick up an assortment to try out. Ill measure the female plug tomorrow to get an idea on sizes to get.

As I mentioned the tape is holding up great but I wouldn't mind trying a cleaner more efficient way to deal with it and forget about it.
Post up results if you get the shrink tubing on. I agree with Terminal, the 3m tape is working well, but this might be a better, more permanent way.

-Steven

Old 03-06-2013, 01:03 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
shrink tube caps

here is a link to shrink caps from mcmaster carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#heat-shrink-end-caps/=lrj5b3

and another link to shrink tube splitters, useful for firewall penetration

http://www.mcmaster.com/#heat-shrink...itters/=lrj8sy

scott

Old 03-06-2013, 03:19 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bmwr606
here is a link to shrink caps from mcmaster carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#heat-shrink-end-caps/=lrj5b3

and another link to shrink tube splitters, useful for firewall penetration

http://www.mcmaster.com/#heat-shrink...itters/=lrj8sy

scott
Thanks Scott, very useful

-Steven

Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Old 05-28-2013, 03:42 AM
Bcoday
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The constant whistle of this crv under hard accelleration does not mean that I'm losing boost? The original BOV whistled when acceleration stopped thus releasing pressure. A constant whistle with the Alta CRV makes me think that its constantly releasing pressure. Is this accurate? Is this desireable?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
It should only whistle under light acceleration. The DV will stay open until you hit about 2 "PSI" of vacuum then it will close and you will hear the turbo whine kick in. But for city driving it pretty much stays open all the time. You can use your AP to monitor your boost levels and it should support what I stated above.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:04 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
OK, so this seems like a pretty good idea! I'm ready to do it but I have a couple of questions. Will this work off of the BSH Boost Port I have installed in support of the OCC, and is there any securing fix out of the box for retaining and protecting the resistor yet? Thanks!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:59 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
I'm not sure exactly where the BSH boost port is designed to go, it almost sounds like it's coming from the breather line off the intake manifold. That should be OK.

We are still using the resistor, and it works fine.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:05 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
I'm not sure exactly where the BSH boost port is designed to go, it almost sounds like it's coming from the breather line off the intake manifold. That should be OK.

We are still using the resistor, and it works fine.
Thanks Chris.
I guess if it is being used as a plug it isn't going to be drawing any vacuum through the valve cover... lol. On the resistor, I was wondering if there was a consensus of how the resistor was being protected\secured in the socket once installed.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:15 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Probably not! We've never used that part before, using the ALTA boost port adapter will work for sure though.

For keeping the resistor in place, quality electrical tape works great!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 PM
p8ntbollr
2nd Gear
ok, this might sound like a dumb question but Im sure you guys could help me out with this. Is there an added benefit of running this diverter valve w/ the resistor as opposed to running an VTA BOV with the same type of resistor?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Alta Diverter Valve Install and Test Opinion (With Pics)