Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Alta Diverter Valve Install and Test Opinion (With Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 AM
wakemini21
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks man I appreciate it. So it holds boost longer? Any difference in sound? And would this be a cheaper version of forges complete bov? Sorry for being a nag.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not being a nag at all. That's what this place is for. I've learned a ton about the nuance of these cars purely from this site and the folks on it. While I haven't used the forge valve other posters in this thread have and they seem to think the new Alta DV is superior. From what I've gathered the Forge DV is more in line with the OEM valve in that it utilizes the same functioning principle as the stock. It relies on the ECU. The beauty of the Alta one is its more mechanical than electrical. It uses boost directly to function ie. open/close instead of the ECU reading the boost then telling the valve to open/close. With the OEM DV think of the ECU as the middle man. The Alta DV does away with that so it cycles quicker. Yes it holds unlimited boost as far as I can tell but certainly it'll hold all the boost you'll ever need.

If you have an aftermarket CAI you will hear a slight whistle when the Alta DV opens. I'm not sure if you'd really hear anything with the stock intake since its closed off but I doubt you'd hear much. I actually like the sound. Combined with my DOS intake its perfect. You hear what the engine is doing at all times but its not obnoxious. Of course your mileage may vary on this. I like a bit of noise, lol!

As for it being a cheaper version of the forge complete bov? I'd say its more of a less expensive yet far superior option.

I did take a sound clip while driving the other day since it is a very unique sound. I've been trying to find the time to post it. I'll try and get it on the site this evening.

Btw, I don't normally sing the praises of a product over and over unless it really brings something to the table. This mod was well worth every penny. Thanks to Bluetoy for pointing me to it and Sacred Disorder for the great write up.

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 12-04-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 AM
wakemini21
2nd Gear
Thanks again. Looks like ill be making that purchase very soon.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Good call! I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 PM
rum4
Banned
After reading every page of this looks like I may be in the market for one of these in the near future.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 PM
asuj_158
1st Gear
frig, i just got a huge package of stuff from you guys, should have ordered this too and demanded a package deal because of all the products i ordered lol

Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 AM
mastermason11
2nd Gear
Installed mine yesterday.. Seems to be pulling harder and minimized turbo lag....

Don't know if its just me but the pssshh sound seems to be unchanged from stock...

Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Do you have a stock intake or aftermarket? Just curious as I've wondered how that might effect the sound.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:43 AM
mastermason11
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
Do you have a stock intake or aftermarket? Just curious as I've wondered how that might effect the sound.
Stock intake...

Old 12-15-2012, 10:07 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
I thought it might be a bit quieter with a stock intake but I figured you'd still hear some whistle upon release. I guess not. It's actually quieted down my DOS intake. Instead of a constant whoosh of air I only hear the intake breAthing on hard acceleration and a slight whoosh on decel accompanied with the whistle of the diverter. I love the sound of this combo.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 AM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, so I have a few questions.

-Will I lose the pshhh noise the factory DV makes when releasing pressure? Is it quieter? I love how loud it currently is with my NM CAI when releasing 20psi.

-There was someone having problems with this DV holding more than 15psi. Was that determined to be a boost leak on his engine? It didn't look like a real solution was ever posted.

-Has anyone installed this on an N18 engine? It looks like everyone here has an N14. If not, has this ever been tested on an N18? If not, I'd be a willing participant.

-I have a boost gauge installed with an NM tap. Will I be able to split off of this tap to send boost to both?

-Since I have a boost gauge, I have noticed that a the intake manifold, I almost never get a vacuum reading. The only time I will ever get a vacuum reading is when first starting my car when the engine is very cold (under 65 degrees). Only at that time I will get a vacuum reading of around -15psi. As soon as the engine warms up a little (maybe 1 min of driving) the gauge rests around -0.5 psi which isn't much of a vacuum. Will this be enough to make this DV release?

Old 12-16-2012, 09:50 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by calforhelp

-Will I lose the pshhh noise the factory DV makes when releasing pressure? Is it quieter? I love how loud it currently is with my NM CAI when releasing 20psi.

-There was someone having problems with this DV holding more than 15psi. Was that determined to be a boost leak on his engine? It didn't look like a real solution was ever posted.

-Has anyone installed this on an N18 engine? It looks like everyone here has an N14. If not, has this ever been tested on an N18? If not, I'd be a willing participant.

-I have a boost gauge installed with an NM tap. Will I be able to split off of this tap to send boost to both?

-Since I have a boost gauge, I have noticed that a the intake manifold, I almost never get a vacuum reading. The only time I will ever get a vacuum reading is when first starting my car when the engine is very cold (under 65 degrees). Only at that time I will get a vacuum reading of around -15psi. As soon as the engine warms up a little (maybe 1 min of driving) the gauge rests around -0.5 psi which isn't much of a vacuum. Will this be enough to make this DV release?
I have a DOS intake and still get the whoosh but its accompanied by more of a whistling sound. I love it. Not sure about the 15 psi issue but I'd be interested to know how that turned out as well. The Alta CRV comes with a splitter (at least mine did) so you can tap off where needed for a gauge, etc. I've used my AP to read boost and I get a vacuum reading but to be honest I wasn't paying close attention to the numbers. I plan to do that soon though.

I keep meaning to post some audio of how this unit sounds under hard accel as well as day to day driving. If I can remember to I'll post that later today.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:57 AM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Thanks for the fast reply. It looks like you have a R58 but are you running an N14 or 18? They changed something in the 18 and it's possible to get either a boost reading OR a vacuum reading but not both from the same tap.

Also does this DV use a 1/4" or 1/8" barb hose?

Old 12-16-2012, 12:09 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Mines a '12 JCW Coupe with the N14. I forgot about the N18 vacuum issue. I can't remember for sure on the hose size but I think it's 1/8 however I fit it on my 1/4 barb tap for my boost sensor without trouble. I'll check when I get home.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:08 PM
oldcracker
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Chris when are you guys planning to put the instructions up online?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:41 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Callforhelp, the supplied hose inside diameter is 5/32" and the included tee adapter is 3/16". The hose will fit over a 1/4" barb adapter which is all I could find locally with a 1/8" NPT thread (required for the NM ENG. boost tap I used). While I did zip tie both ends of the hose to its fittings I doubt seriously they'd come off.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:23 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by calforhelp

The ALTA BOV sound is going to be similar to the sound of the factory BOV. Kind of hard to explain over text, sorry!

The new part will work great on the newer engine, the part will work the same way.

You can use the current boost tap that you're using, you can just T off it.

Originally Posted by oldcracker
Hey Chris when are you guys planning to put the instructions up online?
We will have the instructions up soon! If you want a copy, send me a PM with your email address, thanks!

Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Here's a bit of audio for the folks wondering what this thing sounds like. This is just a short take during normal city driving conditions/speeds. I placed the phone on the dash close to the defrost vent so you can really hear the sound. It, of course, will be slightly less pronounced in reality and will most likely vary depending on the type of intake you have installed. I have a DOS on my car.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:25 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Thanks for the replies guys and for the video!

I'm not a fan of that sound :( It sounds kinda teakettle-like. I like the big loud woosh my current setup makes that sounds like someone ripping the hose off an air compressor.

How long does this take to install? Do you have to remove any major components like the cooling reservoir to install it? If I don't like the sound once installed is it returnable?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
As mentioned in the video that's stoplight driving! Hit the throttle and........... RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

I had a good vid pulling from 2nd through 6th gear but I guess I deleted it. That's the one I'd hoped to post. However, this is the sound, or a variation thereof, you'll hear driving around town (at least with a DOS intake). Honestly I love it even if I barely notice it anymore. The thing I like about it is you can tell exactly what the DV is doing at all times.

It took me a bit over an hour to install but as usual I farted around a lot during the install and it could've taken as little as 30-40 min. The hardest part and really the only hard part is removing the OE valve. There are three hex fasteners and the one furthest away from the front of the car can't really be seen so you have to go at it somewhat blind and if you're using a hex key it takes some time. They use thread lock at the factory and depending how much they use will be the difference in how quick you get them off. Not a big deal though. The only thing you have to remove is the intake hose from the turbo inlet as well as moving the coolant reservoir off the the side (not actually remove it).

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 12-17-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM
SteveRowlands
1st Gear
I could not get it to work at all. Went back to old.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SteveRowlands
What was the issue? Did you have them send you a new one? Was it not opening? Closing? Just curious to know what the possible problems might've been.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 AM
casual cooper_78
1st Gear
Glad I read this post, since I was thinking of installing my Greddy TypeS bov.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveRowlands
My guess is that you were not getting any boost at all? If so it is the resistor not making good contact. Without it the car will not see a diverter valve and will open the waste gate. This would be the first thing to look at for anyone having issues after install.

-Brian

Old 01-14-2013, 06:06 PM
donuttang
3rd Gear
i got it installed last nite. It sounds differert obviorsly compare to the WM(modified origiinal one) I installed. I feel it's not as responsive as that one at low speed, seems turbo lag is more than that one(i only have 1 test run). low speed with light throttle, it sounds like it's leaking...... sounds quite noisy... would it be the CRV not installed tightly or correctly? all bolts are tight...

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Alta Diverter Valve Install and Test Opinion (With Pics)