Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain DDMWorks R56 Race Intake System (RIS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 06:41 AM
genik
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How can the brakes be associated with this?

Old 09-29-2013, 06:45 AM
MiniWii
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That vacuum hose goes to your brake booster.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:39 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniWii
The instructions are bad when it comes to 2011+ N18.. You can't rotate the vacuum fitting as it's fixed. Putting that soft vacuum line they give you is asking to die. The heat in the engine bay along with vacuum pulling on that tube collapsed it. I lost my brakes.

Oh dang that's scary!
I'm guessing you have since removed the intake?

Old 09-29-2013, 12:42 PM
MiniWii
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Oh dang that's scary!
I'm guessing you have since removed the intake?
Intake is still on the car, I just put the stock hard plastic vacuum tubing back on and have not had the issue with my brake pedal going hard. Luckily I was turning in my drive way when my brakes wouldn't catch and I just missed my mailbox!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:56 PM
genik
5th Gear
The instructions are bad when it comes to 2011+ N18.. You can't rotate the vacuum fitting as it's fixed. Putting that soft vacuum line they give you is asking to die. The heat in the engine bay along with vacuum pulling on that tube collapsed it. I lost my brakes.
Wouldn't it be wise to notify some of their experts about this?

Old 09-29-2013, 01:43 PM
MiniWii
2nd Gear
I've sent them an email already on Saturday and have no gotten a reply yet. Probably bc it's the weekend. We will see

Old 09-29-2013, 03:29 PM
genik
5th Gear
And this issue is mostly for the facelift mini?

Old 09-29-2013, 04:25 PM
MiniWii
2nd Gear
Genik, AFAIK it can be an issue for any mini. Just the tubing they supply isn't rigid enough to handle the vacuum pulled on it. It looks like it would effect the n14 as well. I don't see how rotating this fitting 90 degrees will help with the tubing collapsing

Old 09-29-2013, 09:39 PM
genik
5th Gear
if its possible to post a few photos it would be great!

Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 AM
6000pounds
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had it installed on my 2013 for a while. I will be selling mine soon due to purchasing a carbon fiber hood if anyone is interested in a couple months.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:55 AM
marvinclick
1st Gear
I've sent them an email already on Saturday and have no gotten a reply yet. Probably bc it's the weekend. We will see
Hi miniwii, i had same intake as you had, shocked little bit by your message.

could you help me know who exactly i could do to prevent that bad happen to my intake?

using the stock pipe instead of the soft one by DDM? then why DDM required us to use the soft new pipe then?

truly thanks

Old 10-18-2013, 09:29 AM
MiniWii
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by marvinclick
Hi miniwii, i had same intake as you had, shocked little bit by your message.

could you help me know who exactly i could do to prevent that bad happen to my intake?

using the stock pipe instead of the soft one by DDM? then why DDM required us to use the soft new pipe then?

truly thanks
Yes, use the stock one instead of that soft tubing/ I've contacted DDM and was told they will look into it.. we'll see what happens..

Just remove the stock piping before you install the DDM intake and reinstall it after everything is in place and tightened down. It will fit with no issues.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:47 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
On my 2010, the fitting is not rotatable. I am using the soft tubing for now cause it looked like the rigid would not fit. I may revisit after it stops raining here.

Question for you all...do you go filter, maf, elbow, straight pipe, intake tube? Or do you go filter, straight pipe, elbow, maf, intake tube? Mine will fit either way. Not sure which will provide the most accurate reading. The filter allows air to come in potentially lopsidedly. The elbow will line it up but it may be off to 1 side due to turning the corner.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:47 PM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nine5raptor
On my 2010, the fitting is not rotatable. I am using the soft tubing for now cause it looked like the rigid would not fit. I may revisit after it stops raining here.

Question for you all...do you go filter, maf, elbow, straight pipe, intake tube? Or do you go filter, straight pipe, elbow, maf, intake tube? Mine will fit either way. Not sure which will provide the most accurate reading. The filter allows air to come in potentially lopsidedly. The elbow will line it up but it may be off to 1 side due to turning the corner.

I unfortunately had a problem with the soft tubing and had to go back to the stock hard line. Not as bad as some horror stories, but bad enough. When I was installing it, I wasn't particularly fond of how flimsy it was...so after driving with it (and then stopping), I knew it had to go.

As far as the setup....mine is filter box - to - elbow - to- maf - to - turbo intake pipe.

Attached Thumbnails DDMWorks R56 Race Intake System (RIS)-klaus-bsh-with-ss-braided-hose.jpg  

Last edited by DTH2CHRM; 10-20-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:10 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Interesting. I have mine setup the other way. Don't know if it makes much difference or not. I may switch mine and take some more logs.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:41 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Well... testing did not go well.

First, mine will not go together the other way. The filter that came with it will not fit the straight pipe. Maybe with another filter. But mine has screw holes to hold the maf to the filter box. Does the n18 version? In your setup does the filter/tube just flop around? Mine would.

Second, the rigid hose was a bad idea. Routed it with clearance. Went for a test drive/logging...Lost my brakes. Stopped to check it out and the setup had moved quite a bit from engine movement. The result?

DDMWorks R56 Race Intake System (RIS)-forumrunner_20131019_153952.jpg

Now I see why they use a flexible hose. I will swing by the parts store to see if I can find a heavier walled hose instead and a new fitting.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:14 AM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear
Well... testing did not go well.

First, mine will not go together the other way. The filter that came with it will not fit the straight pipe. Maybe with another filter. But mine has screw holes to hold the maf to the filter box. Does the n18 version? In your setup does the filter/tube just flop around? Mine would.

Second, the rigid hose was a bad idea. Routed it with clearance. Went for a test drive/logging...Lost my brakes. Stopped to check it out and the setup had moved quite a bit from engine movement. The result?

Now I see why they use a flexible hose. I will swing by the parts store to see if I can find a heavier walled hose instead and a new fitting.
Oh wow...that blows!

I have the K-N filter and once I installed it on the straight tube, I pushed it to the right (against the intake box) and pushed the elbow to the left. Then I clamped it down. No movement...no rattles.

My filter box has the holes for the MAF also. I bought it used and don't know what year MINI it was pulled from. I thought about installing it with the MAF attached to the filter box, but I wanted to keep the MAF in the same (stock) location.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:22 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Yeah, I would prefer to move mine as the intake tube is tweaked a bit since the maf is too long to be in the position it is in.

I picked mine up used also so it may have a different filter. There was no way that pipe was going in! I even tried a little moly grease to lube er up!

While at the parts store, I picked up a 90 degree elbow and some reinforced fuel line that fits the vac fittings. It is much stiffer and should not collapse. Once the epoxy is dry on the outlet, I will be hooking it all back up!

Old 10-20-2013, 04:31 PM
MiniWii
2nd Gear
How are you guys able to mount your intake with the 90 degree elbow first to the box? nine5- how the heck did you manage to break that... My hardpipe has lots of play installed- that sucks to see it broke on you though.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:49 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
How are you guys able to mount your intake with the 90 degree elbow first to the box? nine5- how the heck did you manage to break that... My hardpipe has lots of play installed- that sucks to see it broke on you though.
Don't know. It had play when it was sitting still. Went for a test drive and BLAMO!

Old 10-20-2013, 04:51 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
New and improved setup!

Added a 90degree fitting and a male to male to 5/16" reinforced fuel line.

Fitting is also epoxyed back together and survived the trial drive!

DDMWorks R56 Race Intake System (RIS)-forumrunner_20131020_185014.jpg

DDMWorks R56 Race Intake System (RIS)-forumrunner_20131020_185035.jpg

Old 10-20-2013, 05:47 PM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear
What should happen is the hard connector pipe/tube should fit inside of the elbow, with the remainder fitting inside of the filter neck.

So on mine, this tube went halfway through the filter box hole and I placed the filter on one side and then the elbow on the other. Pushed both ends together so they sandwiched the box and then tightened the clamps. Voila..no movement.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:50 PM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear
New and improved setup!

Added a 90degree fitting and a male to male to 5/16" reinforced fuel line.

Fitting is also epoxyed back together and survived the trial drive!
That's great. I really hope it holds up well. I liked everything about the DDM RIS, but I think they skimped out on the vacuum hose.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:00 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DTH2CHRM

What should happen is the hard connector pipe/tube should fit inside of the elbow, with the remainder fitting inside of the filter neck.

So on mine, this tube went halfway through the filter box hole and I placed the filter on one side and then the elbow on the other. Pushed both ends together so they sandwiched the box and then tightened the clamps. Voila..no movement.
I still want to try this but I need a different filter that will fit. Currently looking for a dry (non-oiled) filter.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:25 PM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear

I still want to try this but I need a different filter that will fit. Currently looking for a dry (non-oiled) filter.
Perhaps aFe. I'm looking at trying their dry filters. Haven't heard any bad reviews

Quick Reply: Drivetrain DDMWorks R56 Race Intake System (RIS)