Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R56 cai

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:40 PM
charliefeesh
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 cai

Hey guys I just got my mini a couple of months ago and I'm looking into getting a cold air intake for it. Which do you guys use / which do you recommend?

I've been looking at a few on M7 and a few on outmotoring and im just curious as to which would be the best for my money.

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 760 Likes on 620 Posts
There isn't big power in intakes, you'd be better off to put your money toward a Forge intercooler. Or a few smaller mods that will add up to good gains. Feel free to call our shop and we'll put a package together that will meet your goals.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-15-2011, 08:53 PM
charliefeesh
Neutral
Thanks but isn't there a forum for vendors? And besides I do believe I asked about intakes not intercoolers.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:58 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep the stock box and install a better fliter in it. . Save your money for getting a tune such as one from revolution mini works(you can find a link to RMW in the vendor dirtory)meth kit, intercooler, and a turbo back. thouse changes will net you the best gains.

As Way told you there is nothing to gain from an air intake, if you choose to get one get it for noise. I have an intake hate it, if you get one pm me I wil buy your stock box from you.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Berkdad
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by charliefeesh
Thanks but isn't there a forum for vendors? And besides I do believe I asked about intakes not intercoolers.
a survey of comments on this board will show that wayland is very knowledgeable about these cars and offers some real good advice. i wouldn't dismiss what he has to say simply because he's a "vendor."

Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 PM
MADnFL
2nd Gear
Yep, Way is more than a vendor. I think it wise to take the advice given.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:46 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
a vendor saying don't get one is pretty good. but of course if thats what your after then go the DoS or JCW stage 1.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:20 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Way. I'm about to place my order for your diverter valve. Would this tie in together with the DoS CAI? I'm a noob when it comes to these things.

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2011, 12:17 AM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Way is a guru with MINIs, don't count him out...he's here to help. He's right, don't waste all the money on a CAI unless you're after noise. I've been down the road myself, and I'm back on a stock airbox top with a DOS AFe panel.

You want power and performance, listen to Way. You want noise from a CAI, there's a lot of options, all depends on what you're after.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:11 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hes only trying to HELP you.

Thanks, but isn't there a SEARCH function for users? I mean honestly, please use the search as the "CAI" debate and discussion has been talked about since this car came out in 07. You really think you're the first to ask this question?

Way is telling you what is correct, a "CAI" or known to be a hot air intake since its behind your engine and turbo in the engine bay, will only make more sound (which can be desireable, as I have one), but won't make any extra power. If anything, you lose some low end power to it. You'd find all this information in the search, so this post would have (and is) redundant. Now, people who do use the search, will find this thread instead, unfortunately.

But in all honesty, if you want 'performance' gains, a FMIC and/or Tune, and DP will be your best mods to go with. If I'm still getting off topic, and you are in it for a "CAI", then get a filter without oil, like the AEM dry flow, so it doesn't kill your MAF. I've experienced both ends.

I love my MINI and hope you do too, good luck with your modding endeavors!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
WOW Really Ignorant For a NEWB

Old 08-17-2011, 02:01 PM
charliefeesh
Neutral
Way I apologize for saying that. That was completely unnecessary. I don't know what got into me.

Everyone else - thank you for your advice despide my ******** remarks.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:59 PM
AXO
5th Gear
Try the search function. This topic has been adressed numerous times. The best CAI is Defender of Speed with the fire wall mod.

Here is a link. http://defendersofspeed.com/store/pr...p?id_product=6

As far as Way, he would not steer you wrong. He is a trusted site vendor I believe Way was basically stating save your money on a CAI and put it towards an intercooler were you will see and feel a noticeable gain.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:27 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 760 Likes on 620 Posts
Wow, I just saw this. Thanks guys, obviously most of you know me, I'm a no BS kinda of guy and won't try to sell anyone something just to make a buck. I'll give you my honest opinion about a part and let you decide. I don't recommend every part on my website, but I do have to sell every part to stay in business. Don't ever be afraid to ask what I think of something before you buy I will try to help you out. Personally I like the JCW stage 1 the best when it comes to intakes.

As for the question on the WMW diverter valve it will work with any intake.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-18-2011, 08:12 AM
ThatMiNiGuy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Wow, I just saw this. Thanks guys, obviously most of you know me, I'm a no BS kinda of guy and won't try to sell anyone something just to make a buck. I'll give you my honest opinion about a part and let you decide. I don't recommend every part on my website, but I do have to sell every part to stay in business. Don't ever be afraid to ask what I think of something before you buy I will try to help you out. Personally I like the JCW stage 1 the best when it comes to intakes.

That. JCW Stage 1 with Alta's foam filter is a great combo.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:39 AM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks

On your site you list the JCW stage 1 for "2007-2010 MINI Cooper S." Does it also work for 2011's? How would you compare it to the NM Engineering Intake?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TrueEddie
On your site you list the JCW stage 1 for "2007-2010 MINI Cooper S." Does it also work for 2011's? How would you compare it to the NM Engineering Intake?
Interestingly enough, I just finished asking Way the same question (your first) via email.

His answer: The airbox clip locations are different between the N14 and N18 engines. The JCW Stage 1 intake will work if you replace the lower half of your airbox with one from a '07 - '10 R56 N14 engine. According to Way, there should be some floating around and available as a result of people pulling them off to do their own intake mods. I haven't yet put out a feeler for this part -- but I'm seriously thinking about it.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:52 PM
hbSean
2nd Gear
CAIs are useless for r56s, only gain your getting is the sound

Old 08-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Minimafia122
2nd Gear
Just got an ALTA PERFORMANCE intake on my R56 and love it man ! Great purchase if its something you want then get it man ! check them out http://www.altaperformance.com/! Happy motoring

Old 08-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Berkdad
2nd Gear
Way I apologize for saying that. That was completely unnecessary. I don't know what got into me.

Everyone else - thank you for your advice despide my ******** remarks.
charlie, you'll see that wayland only wants to help you achieve what his customers want for their vehicles. I was truly amazed by his no-bs sales pitch when he told me NOT to waste money on certain components that other vendors swore by. I'd suggest giving him a call AFTER you've narrowed down exactly what you want for your ride. He's the patron saint of all Mini-modders

Old 08-18-2011, 05:15 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Hey guys I just got my mini a couple of months ago and I'm looking into getting a cold air intake for it. Which do you guys use / which do you recommend?

I've been looking at a few on M7 and a few on outmotoring and im just curious as to which would be the best for my money.

Thanks!
This is why I am done with NAM. I am tired of hearing the same questions asked over and over again. Dude has 8 posts. He registers 2 months ago and he mouths off to a well respected vendor on here with 2500 posts.

Try this from now on "r56 cai:www.northamericanmotoring.com" as the search on this forum is horrible.

Search within a specific website (site
Google allows you to specify that your search results must come from a given website. For example, the query
  • [ iraq site:nytimes.com ] will return pages about Iraq but only from nytimes.com. The simpler queries [ iraq nytimes.com ] or [ iraq New York Times ] will usually be just as good, though they might return results from other sites that mention the New York Times. You can also specify a whole class of sites, for example [ iraq site:.gov ] will return results only from a .gov domain and [ iraq site:.iq ] will return results only from Iraqi sites.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Berkdad
2nd Gear
@onefish2 the guy's already apologized and probably has learned his lesson. Let's not deter him from the site.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:33 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Berkdad
@onefish2 the guy's already apologized and probably has learned his lesson. Let's not deter him from the site.
True enough. The main point was to show people how to search this site more effectively with Google.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Berkdad
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
True enough. The main point was to show people how to search this site more effectively with Google.
on that latter point, thank you for pointing that out. didn't know that function but will certainly be using it more often.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Minimafia122
2nd Gear
people pms way to much on this forum...makes me laugh. We all love our cars, and some people are new to the forums, so there for there not going to understand how to "navigate" them as well as others, cant expect much with 8 posts but give him a break. I feel like any money spent on my mini is no money wasted if your happy ! Get the CAI man you will stoked !

Quick Reply: Drivetrain R56 cai