Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Mini Madness Gone? Help With Header

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 PM
chorline
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Madness Gone? Help With Header

Hey all. Trying to get in touch with George @ Mini-Madness for the past 3 weeks but no return calls or emails. Have a cracked flex pipe on my Mini-Madness Header. Trying to get it replaced but haven't heard back from them in 3 weeks. Wondering if anyone has heard from George or anyone at MM over the past weeks and if I don't hear back my guess is I need to purchase a replacement header even though this only has 7K miles on it in 3 years). If this is the case what does everyone recommend for a aftermarket header these days? Not happy!

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:38 PM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I just spoke w/him today...503 466 6463

Old 08-03-2011, 03:50 PM
chorline
2nd Gear
thanks.. must be ignoring me. at least I know there is still hope then! thanks for the reply

Old 08-03-2011, 04:09 PM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Glad to help.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 PM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
it was probably just a bad flex pipe... but i have NO IDEA why you would get a new header because of that... makes absolutely no sense... sorry if this comes off as brash... but just buy another flex pipe and weld it in.. sheesh. No reason to put another $900 into a header when you can repair yours for under $100

Summitracing.com or jegs.com
I personally destoyed a flex pipe on my header, (SS robbed with a ss weave mesh outer for re-enforcement) and it ripped apart where the flange meats the mesh meats the inner flex pipe itself.
So I went with a pace setter
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PSM-82-4216/
(picture does not resemble actual length of flex pipe, this one is only 8" long)
Which has re-enforcement mesh on the inside and outside, and is fully SS.
10k miles and no qualms about it.
(tig'd it on myself, so it only cost me $40 to do the repair)

Old 08-04-2011, 03:49 AM
chorline
2nd Gear
I thought the same thing. I've taken it to (2) exhaust shops and (2) performance car shops I deal with. They all said the same thing.. to get to the point where they could weld above where the flexpipe is they'd have to take the header off anyway.. so they thought the best solution would be to try to get a replacement from the vendor. I was under the impression that parts had some sort of guarantee.. or 'warranty' if you will. My intention was to speak to George @ MM about it and get his take. Maybe there was a issue with the V2 headers and he can offer a replacement.. or maybe he will tell me I'm SOL and to go the route of replacing the flexpipe. I wanted to explore all my options before just going with the flexpipe replacement.

I'll see if I ever hear back from him. Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by soccerbummer1104
it was probably just a bad flex pipe... but i have NO IDEA why you would get a new header because of that... makes absolutely no sense... sorry if this comes off as brash... but just buy another flex pipe and weld it in.. sheesh. No reason to put another $900 into a header when you can repair yours for under $100

Summitracing.com or jegs.com
I personally destoyed a flex pipe on my header, (SS robbed with a ss weave mesh outer for re-enforcement) and it ripped apart where the flange meats the mesh meats the inner flex pipe itself.
So I went with a pace setter
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PSM-82-4216/
(picture does not resemble actual length of flex pipe, this one is only 8" long)
Which has re-enforcement mesh on the inside and outside, and is fully SS.
10k miles and no qualms about it.
(tig'd it on myself, so it only cost me $40 to do the repair)

Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM
chorline
2nd Gear
Got a call back from George today who apologized for not getting back to me sooner. They are going to swap my header out under warranty at no charge to me.. just need to send the old one back. Very pleased! Now I don't have to have some welder go and replace the flex pipe piece. Thumbs up for vendors that do the right thing.. and obviously MM is not gone.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:53 AM
90intherain
1st Gear
I had the same issue with his header. Guy at a muffler shop explained because of positioning it will break and fail because of the torque. I had them put a new one in. It's perfect now except for the SES light and P2270 code when I'm light on the throttle.