Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain DoS CAI Installed. Truly Impressed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:41 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
We've seen larger gains on the dyno and upper RPM range at the track from using the DoS CAI versus using the JCW Stage 1 intake.

All that being said -- If you already have a JCW S1 Intake there is an advantage to replacing the JCW paper cone filter with a high flow, more efficient, washable replacement unit that uses dry (no oil) filter media. We just got some dry (no oil) filters in this week that work great, never need to be thrown away, and don't break the bank.

I'll have them up on the website by Friday afternoon 10/19 if you want to place an order. If you can't wait until the afternoon, drop me an email for more info or give me a call and we can do an order over the phone.

-Clint
Clint,

Some might read what you wrote in bold above and assume that the DoS offers no advantages over the JCW S1 until you get up to the upper end of the power band. I just wanted to clarify whether, for us daily drivers who seldom see +6,000 rpm, the DoS still has something to offer over the JCW S1.

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2012, 06:11 AM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hujan
Clint,

Some might read what you wrote in bold above and assume that the DoS offers no advantages over the JCW S1 until you get up to the upper end of the power band. I just wanted to clarify whether, for us daily drivers who seldom see +6,000 rpm, the DoS still has something to offer over the JCW S1.

Thanks!
Hujan, can you elaborate what you get for spending the cash on the DoS over the JCW S1 that I already have?

Old 10-19-2012, 06:12 AM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
We've seen larger gains on the dyno and upper RPM range at the track from using the DoS CAI versus using the JCW Stage 1 intake.

All that being said -- If you already have a JCW S1 Intake there is an advantage to replacing the JCW paper cone filter with a high flow, more efficient, washable replacement unit that uses dry (no oil) filter media. We just got some dry (no oil) filters in this week that work great, never need to be thrown away, and don't break the bank.

I'll have them up on the website by Friday afternoon 10/19 if you want to place an order. If you can't wait until the afternoon, drop me an email for more info or give me a call and we can do an order over the phone.

-Clint
Thanks Clint. I will wait until they are up on your site and place my order.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by fastrack1
Hujan, can you elaborate what you get for spending the cash on the DoS over the JCW S1 that I already have?
I don't know. That's the exact question I have for Clint. It seems to me that the big advantage to the DoS over the stock box or even the JCW S1 is amount of airflow. All three designs are "cold air intakes" insofar as they are drawing air from the outside of the car through a passage way.

The JCW S1, though limited to the same snorkel as the stock box, at least uses a cone filter which might improve air flow by increasing the surface area if the filter. The DoS seems to take things a step further by adding a second air source (behind firewall) which I imagine improves air flow even more.

How much does it matter? No idea. But I gotta think the extra air is useful for those of us with tunes and high-flow exhausts.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Anyone else with the new dry filter notice it tends to want to pry the OEM intake off of the turbo? It doesn't seem to fit as flush against the MAF end either, pushing on the top of the coupler leaving an uneven gap at the bottom. I have to push the intake pipe down before tightening the clamp on the intake end. i think doing this puts stress on the turbo end causing it to work its way toward coming off. The originsl mounting method with the seperate coupler didnt do this. I like the way the rubber coupler is integrated into the filter and the quality is top notch. Just wondering if the coupler is too long or something.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
Anyone else with the new dry filter notice it tends to want to pry the OEM intake off of the turbo? It doesn't seem to fit as flush against the MAF end either, pushing on the top of the coupler leaving an uneven gap at the bottom. I have to push the intake pipe down before tightening the clamp on the intake end. i think doing this puts stress on the turbo end causing it to work its way toward coming off. The originsl mounting method with the seperate coupler didnt do this. I like the way the rubber coupler is integrated into the filter and the quality is top notch. Just wondering if the coupler is too long or something.
Sorry to hear that you're having an issue. I forget, are you running the DoS narrow T-bolt clamp on your turbo inlet?

-Clint

Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Clint

After re reading my post I realized it sounded rather negative. Not the intent if that's how it came across. Yes I have the Tbolt installed. The intake pipe at the inlet won't come off under use but you can see that it would like to. The pipe between the intake and the turbo is under a bit more stress than with the old mounting method I believe and is causing it to torque away from the turbo. It's moved a few mm's perhaps but I doubt it's moving much more than that. I realize there needs to be some pressure against the DOS intake to hold it in place. I'm just picky . Just curious if this common since we all know no two MINIs seem to be exactly alike.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
Clint

After re reading my post I realized it sounded rather negative. Not the intent if that's how it came across. Yes I have the Tbolt installed. The intake pipe at the inlet won't come off under use but you can see that it would like to. The pipe between the intake and the turbo is under a bit more stress than with the old mounting method I believe and is causing it to torque away from the turbo. It's moved a few mm's perhaps but I doubt it's moving much more than that. I realize there needs to be some pressure against the DOS intake to hold it in place. I'm just picky . Just curious if this common since we all know no two MINIs seem to be exactly alike.
Your post was fine, I appreciate the feedback.

My feeling is that this is a hose alignment issue. I would loosen all the hose clamps on the CAI and factory induction hose and play with them a bit to relieve as much stress as possible from the hoses.

If that doesn't solve the issue, I would try loosening that Narrow T-bolt Clamp until it hits the built-in stop. After that, I would latch-down the adjustable clamp via the tabs and notches on the band until it's very close fitting to the factory induction hose attached to the turbo inlet. This might take a little physical effort with the fingers, but making the band as small in diameter as possible will make the clamp tighten down with more force after you re-tighten the clamp.

If that still doesn't do the trick, you could always trim off a little bit of the flange on the dry filter. I would follow the same tricks that I use for cleanly cutting large diameter hoses. Stick a rolled-up section of cardboard inside the flange. Use a very sharp utility knife to make the cut*. Use a band of masking tape around the flange as a cutting guide. When you're ready to make the cut, place the flange on the edge of a workbench and roll it as you cut the flange. (*Sharp knives are risky business, so be careful when performing this procedure.)

Best,

-Clint

Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Great tips, thanks. I'll try and re-orient charge pipe like you said. I tried best I could when I changed out filters but I may have had the DOS intake already clamped down, can't remember. If that doesn't work I'll try trimming the filter like you described. Overall it's not a huge problem but I'm a stickler and I'm sure every little buck and torque of the engine is helping to pull that charge pipe away. Thanks again.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:07 AM
jonrizzle
2nd Gear
My buddy bought me the DoS CAI for Christmas and all I can say is
The sound of the BOV is amazing. It felt like there was a muzzle on it and now it's been taken off. And the turbo spooling No joke, sounds like a jet engine powering up. Love it. Just one question though. I have no tune since I have a N18, but if I don't get on it too hard I hear that Darth rattle that I have seen on other Mini's with the RMW tune. I have upgraded the intercooler, but that's about it for engine mods. Anyone else without a tune notice this?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:00 PM
JoAhJoAh
1st Gear
so is putting a CAI on a bone stock turbo car ok to do??? even without a tune???
i know a tune would utilize the CAI better but is it ok to just install it???
this is my first boosted car so all of this is new to me.
i have a 2013 MCS just in case...

Old 01-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JoAhJoAh
so is putting a CAI on a bone stock turbo car ok to do??? even without a tune???
i know a tune would utilize the CAI better but is it ok to just install it???
this is my first boosted car so all of this is new to me.
i have a 2013 MCS just in case...
Putting an intake on is perfectly ok. That was my first modification for my car. Ordered before I even took delivery. I wouldnt expect to see much of a horsepower increase but it will really open up the sound.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Clint, if you're reading this, any word regarding when Countrymen owners might be able to join the party?

Old 01-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Hujan
Clint, if you're reading this, any word regarding when Countrymen owners might be able to join the party?

Hujan,

This came up on another thread. The news is not stellar right now. You can learn more here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...dos-cai-2.html

-Clint

Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 PM
JoAhJoAh
1st Gear
Putting an intake on is perfectly ok. That was my first modification for my car. Ordered before I even took delivery. I wouldnt expect to see much of a horsepower increase but it will really open up the sound.
thanks for the help~!!!! DoS will be hearing from me soon!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Austinsynthetics
1st Gear
I just installed the DOS Cold Air Intake on my 2012 MCS, with the N18 engine and I couldn't be happier!! There does appear to be more power, and the blow off valve swoosh sound is perfect!

Last edited by Austinsynthetics; 08-10-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Hoosh
1st Gear
Is there a benefit to putting in the DoS intake if I'm running the factory JCW intake? It's the panel one. I was going to drop a K&N in, but wouldn't mind doing a full intake especially if it will sound meaner and allow for better gains after a tune.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Austinsynthetics
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Hoosh
Is there a benefit to putting in the DoS intake if I'm running the factory JCW intake? It's the panel one. I was going to drop a K&N in, but wouldn't mind doing a full intake especially if it will sound meaner and allow for better gains after a tune.

I found this.... Might be helpful. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-k-and-n.html

Old 08-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Hoosh
1st Gear
Thanks. I need to work on my search skills!