Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain So I blew a piston on my JCW and the fun begins

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 PM
czar
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
The soul single reason these pistons have failed, is due to thermal stress detonation fatigue, there are many variables for thermal stress detonation fatigue.

Poor oil quality, contaminated fuel, wrong ron/mon rating, this applies more to you guys here in the USA than Europe, incorrect engine timing, which then effects the timed fuel pulses, and this is critical for the N14 and N18 engines!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:19 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
The surprise is ~ tune it ~ break it ~ then build it. Why not upgrade the pistons first.

I was way beyond stage 3. And beyond want my tuner recommended as "safe". I was hoping to tune with a GT28RS before the rebuild but I guess not.

The reason this happened was detonation. I was using 100 octane race gas without any problems. Then it got hot and I was experimenting with different brands of premium fuel. I was getting knock codes and started to keep out of the high boost. Then we got a few days of cooler weather and i tried a brand of 92 octane. This happened at about 3500rpm and the boost was just over 29. Oops!

I don't want anyone to be discouraged by tuning. The alta stage3 tune is very safe as long as you are running premium gas. I was tuned way beyond stage 3. I have an upgraded turbo and we keep pushing the boost and timing. The map I was running was ok with race gas but obviously not on pump gas. Anyways looking at the internals there is very little wear except for the broken piston. Bearings are like new. Cylinder walls still have the hone crosshatching. I change the oil every 5k or sooner.

My next step is to rebuild. I'm not sure if I'm gonna go all out and have ABF build the engine for 9000 rpm or just put in upgraded rods and pistons. I have a previously installed gt28rs kit sitting in the wings. After this minor speed bump my next step is 300whp. I'll gladly answer any questions & update and things progress.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:42 PM
tecaterob
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking forward on your build. I would go with Mike's block and have him do your head for a bullet proof motor. I'll be doing that on the next few months. GGGGOOODDD LLLUUUCCCKKK!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:46 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tecaterob
I'm looking forward on your build. I would go with Mike's block and have him do your head for a bullet proof motor. I'll be doing that on the next few months. GGGGOOODDD LLLUUUCCCKKK!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks....I have 2 e-mails in to Dez now. I assume they are racing this weekend.

Ray

Old 06-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mrrjm
Thanks....I have 2 e-mails in to Dez now. I assume they are racing this weekend.

Ray
Not racing, just having fun. He should be back in the office Mon or Tues .

We were going through some pic's when Hubie built the Fireball car and came across all the engine build pics. Once I get these from him I can show what internals look like. It had everything we could possibly offer for an R56 engine.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:52 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division
Not racing, just having fun. He should be back in the office Mon or Tues .

We were going through some pic's when Hubie built the Fireball car and came across all the engine build pics. Once I get these from him I can show what internals look like. It had everything we could possibly offer for an R56 engine.
Great. Not to rush things here but now I'm driving a 99 civic. BoRing...............

Old 06-26-2011, 04:54 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to hearing the results on your rebuild and the quest for 300 whp. That's going to be some beast.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mrrjm
Great. Not to rush things here but now I'm driving a 99 civic. BoRing...............
LOL I can get you a dunk exhaust and a VFAC if it will make you feel better.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:40 AM
Frederick Reckeweg
Neutral
I found this makes plenty of sence to me, sad for me couldn't see this earlier, just sharing in case is useful to all of you

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/212951-so-i-blew-a-piston-on-my-jcw-and-the-fun-begins.html

Old 03-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Xholmes
Neutral
need a new engine now lol