Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain boost gauge install - tap path??

Old 05-18-2011, 04:23 PM
thefallingtree
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
boost gauge install - tap path??

anyone know how to fish a cable through from under the hood into the cabin? preferably the drivers side?

also, if you have a suggestion for a good cheap boost gauge, that'd be great!

thanks

Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 PM
thefallingtree
1st Gear
hey, so, ok...

i installed an autometer 4303

this is how i routed the boost gauge tube:

underneath the rubber cover at the bottom of the windshield, in the area where the windshield wiper mechanism is, theres a "port" on the left most side (when seated in drivers seat)

that access port has a cable bundle going into it and it has a cap on it. if you remove the cap there are actually a couple of rubber "nipples" that seem to be exactly for things like this. poke a hole in one, and fish it through... the other side of that port goes directly into the foot well of the drivers side. grab a flashlight and duck under to see it.

i forced a hanger through first, then attached the tube to the hanger and pulled it through...

Last edited by thefallingtree; 06-01-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 06-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Scooter09
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
+1

That's exactly what I did with mine. It's pretty much right below your VIN plate.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:06 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I to am looking to purchase a mechanical Autometer Boost Gauge as well as an electrical Oil Pressure Gauge. Can one of you post pics of exactly what you did to install the Boost Gauge? Are they mechanical or electrical boost gauges that you guys installed?

I also found out about ScanGauge II that reads/shows 4 multiple LCD gauges at one time that one needs to monitor a MINI properly. So after purchasing this I will only have to install the Boost, Oil Pressure, & A/F Ratio gauges. And at this point I will have a Boost, Oil Pressure, AFR, Coolant Temperature, Air Intake Temperature, Battery Voltage, and Throttle Position.

Anybody ever think about removing the A-Pillar airbag on the driver side to intall there own custom A-Pillar Gauge Pod?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mechanicals are rarely used around here and the install is relatively the same regarding source location. Theres a map sensor spacer you can user or the bsh boost tap. If your on more of a low end budget you can place a sensor anywhere along the compressed side of the intake path.

Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212
I to am looking to purchase a mechanical Autometer Boost Gauge as well as an electrical Oil Pressure Gauge. Can one of you post pics of exactly what you did to install the Boost Gauge? Are they mechanical or electrical boost gauges that you guys installed?

I also found out about ScanGauge II that reads/shows 4 multiple LCD gauges at one time that one needs to monitor a MINI properly. So after purchasing this I will only have to install the Boost, Oil Pressure, & A/F Ratio gauges. And at this point I will have a Boost, Oil Pressure, AFR, Coolant Temperature, Air Intake Temperature, Battery Voltage, and Throttle Position.

Anybody ever think about removing the A-Pillar airbag on the driver side to intall there own custom A-Pillar Gauge Pod?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Also what Boost Adapter did you guys use? NM Engineering, ATP Vac/Boost Source Adapter etc.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nm,psiclone, craven speed i think makes one, bsh... doesnt matter your gonna get the same reading so go with what best suits your budget. None are better than the rest but the map spacers give you the reading at the manifold so its the closest your gonna get

Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212
Also what Boost Adapter did you guys use? NM Engineering, ATP Vac/Boost Source Adapter etc.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:01 PM
thefallingtree
1st Gear
i will try to take pictures later... but for now:

I used an NM Eng boost tap

from there I drilled a hole into the firewall right next to it
installed a rubber grommet, which is included with the autometer gauge
i feed the plastic tubing from the tap, through the grommet into the area that houses the windshield wiper mechanism

from there i fed the plastic tube into the driver side cabin through the port i described above.

once into the drivers side foot well, i ran the tubing up behind the steering column area.

I removed the plastic trim behind the tach... #1 in this diagram

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...35&hg=51&fg=30

i drilled 3 holes into it, 2 for screws and one for the plastic tubing

a secured the auto meter gauge to the plastic panel, attached the tubing to the back, and fished through the wires for power (havent connected them yet)

then reattached the panel

Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 PM
SRhudy
1st Gear
hey falling tree - any luck with those pictures? i'm thinking of getting the NM Tap as well!

thanks!