Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Intake as first mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 08:10 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Anything wrong with installing an intake before other mods like an exhaust? Any problems with sucking in more air upfront without a more free flow exit in the rear?

Old 01-21-2004, 08:11 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
The Madness/Rogue intake was my first mod. That was 35,000 miles ago. :smile:

Old 01-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
it's a good start. you can really feel the deep breathing the coopers like to have. pull would be next. but i started with a euro shelf...lol then still only small things. then to seat belts. but i plan on adding all the really go fast goodies this summer. we all have to star some where. your on the right track. good luck. warning it's addictive!!!

Old 01-21-2004, 08:34 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
what agokart means, is the Pulley should be your next step, and we all have to Start somewhere!

Old 01-21-2004, 08:52 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Moss intake was the first mod I made to my car, and I thought it was a great starting point. With the stock exhaust, you can really appreciate the sound of the intake, if not necessarily the incremental power boost. Plus it's relatively cheap, easily reversible if you decide you don't like it for some reason, and even a surmountable install for a beginner like myself. I can't speak for the S, of course; I'm sure the configuration of the air intake is different.

I'd say definitely go for it

Old 01-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
opps missed a few letters in there. but i got the idea out there.....

i'm still hungy for more little tree by the way.......ummmmmm

p.s. i have a BMP intake for sale if you would like. check out my add in market place. i need to sell it.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:02 PM
minifletch
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st mod Alta Intake
2nd mod Pilo coil, nology plug wires, denso plugs
3rd mod alta 15% pulley

These cars respond well it seems to intake exhaust, boost mods including ignition. Let your wallet be your guide. I may not do exhaust until I can afford the header at the same time....runs great now as it is though. Money definately dictates my mods. Randy claims beang for the buck goes like this (1) Pulley 15-18h.p. $400, (2) Ecu 12-15 h.p. $690, Exhaust 8-10 h.p. $700plus etc.. etc..

Old 01-22-2004, 12:23 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Intake as a first mod?
Yes, it is easy to do it yourself and not that expensive-depending on what you choose.
You just need to decide whether to choose one based on-

1. Added performance/HP- then consider Alta with Hose or maybe K&N typhoon based on dynos that Helix13 has done on the MCS.

2. Appearance- K&N Typhoon, Alta with Hose, PipercrossViper for MC or MCS. ProMINI for the MC

3. Stealthlook- the a simple drop in filter will do nicely but has limited power gains. Green filter, Alta filter or Unifilter are OK.

If you have an MCS then if you can get someone reliable to install the pulley upgrade that would be a good place to start. The Pulley upgrade works better with an intake and cat-back exhaust.

If you want to try the exhaust first then Milltek for the MCS and Helix13 cat-back or Rspeed Cat-back are worth a look for the MC.

Old 01-22-2004, 01:17 AM
rfibanez
Banned
>>The Moss intake was the first mod I made to my car, and I thought it was a great starting point. With the stock exhaust, you can really appreciate the sound of the intake, if not necessarily the incremental power boost. Plus it's relatively cheap, easily reversible if you decide you don't like it for some reason, and even a surmountable install for a beginner like myself. I can't speak for the S, of course; I'm sure the configuration of the air intake is different.
>>
>>I'd say definitely go for it

I did the same mod too, go for the intake and see how you like it then get the exhaust

Old 01-22-2004, 03:53 AM
SMKKVK
4th Gear
I too started with a Rogue CAI w/o issue and no regrets to date. However, If I were to do intial modding again, I'd have a plan just like do you plant a tree here, and a shrub there and hope for a beautiful yard?; Maybe.

After being reading all the posts on MCO/NAM over the last 14 months, taking a stage approach is best as offered now by multiple modders.

Good Luck. Keep us informed of progress.
SMKVK

Old 01-22-2004, 04:29 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
It seems most people start mod-hood w/ the air-intake regarless model choice.
I personally used the madness/rogue air-intake.
You will enjoy this mod...as you will feel a bit more power and a smoother acceleration w/accompanied w/ a real nice whine... as you wind up the car.
There are no ill effects of this mod.... IMHO.
Go for it.
See where your at after it...
Then... MOD-ON... :smile:

Peace,
D

Old 01-22-2004, 04:30 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may not do exhaust until I can afford the header at the same time....runs great now as it is though.
I still don't see any headers worth getting out there yet. The dyno results have been very inconsistent - there may not be any that make any real gains yet. The other thing to realize is I think most would agree that the MCS is pretty darn fun at high RPMs. Most people complain about not enough low-end torque. A lot of how we feel about this is relative. In other words if you keep increasing top end, such as installing a header, low-end torque will feel even more inadequate. So I'd suggest staying away from mods that improve HP without torque such as the header, head and even most exhausts. I am in favor of a cat-back exhaust but even then I'd go for one with a higher torque gain. Stay away from the higher HP ones.

Old 01-22-2004, 09:57 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how often do you need to clean the air filter cones on these alta intakes?

The K&N cones im use to are usually good for 30k miles+.