Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain If your R56 is dropping boost check this:

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my -710D valve on, too, after the usual nightmares getting that backside bolt out. Only had time and energy for a quick test run, but even with a cold engine I noticed a couple things right away. No more noise from the DV. Didn't really care for that raspy sound anyway. Throttle seems much smoother with no noticeable hiccups. I don't abuse a cold engine, but even with maybe 1/3 throttle I was seeing 10.5psi on the ScanGauge. Engine braking seems better, too, as is the shifting. Will warm it fully tomorrow to see what else I find. So far I'm pretty satisfied.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Boost builds extremely faster than with just the alta spring. I was able to do a test run and at high boost its recirculating where are low to mids its barely opening which i what i wanted. I want to say free reving for engine matching shifts is quicker but i have to feel it out a bit more before i can say for sure.
Boost stays in the system longer for sure but it is a tricky thing to understand.

For quick shifts the boost is still in the system. for lazy shifts the wheel loses speed after a certain amount if time which you will have to rebuild.

I am doing more research on running closed systems and its not as bad as folks make it out to be. My turbo s2k was setup closed with a gt35r with no issues what so ever.

Ill be monitoring effects through out the next few days

Originally Posted by silhouette88
Interesting...

Old 04-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Update, got a cel when letting off after a medium boost 1st gear to 2nd shift. the valve is not opening under light loads. I will take the spare full factory spring that i teamed up with the alta spring and cut it in half and post my results. Definitely lots of possibilities in this field now with different internals/springs etc...

Old 04-14-2011, 06:49 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
I wonder how the 710 spring compares to the alta one, tension wise. I want to use spring combinations to create the tightest response for closure. I will be picking up the 710 if a vw dealer has one in my area on friday

Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
Got my -710D valve on, too, after the usual nightmares getting that backside bolt out. Only had time and energy for a quick test run, but even with a cold engine I noticed a couple things right away. No more noise from the DV. Didn't really care for that raspy sound anyway. Throttle seems much smoother with no noticeable hiccups. I don't abuse a cold engine, but even with maybe 1/3 throttle I was seeing 10.5psi on the ScanGauge. Engine braking seems better, too, as is the shifting. Will warm it fully tomorrow to see what else I find. So far I'm pretty satisfied.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:59 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Could you let us know what the code is please?

Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
Update, got a cel when letting off after a medium boost 1st gear to 2nd shift. the valve is not opening under light loads. I will take the spare full factory spring that i teamed up with the alta spring and cut it in half and post my results. Definitely lots of possibilities in this field now with different internals/springs etc...

Old 04-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Dont know since i dont have a reader, it was the full engine power not available, i just reset the ecu and kept driving. went back to normal operation. If i can get my hands on a reader ill replicate the code.

Waste gate was open all the time so building boost was impossible. all good after the reset

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 04-14-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
I dont know what valve the WMW is because Way is so secretive about it...lol so I can't comment on what kind of improvement you'll see. Just judging from the price...he can't be making that much money on them so I don't know why he feels its necessary to scratch the part numbers off. But hey, it ain't my business....

I can promise that it won't be a step backwards though...and plus even it performed exactly the same as the WMW....its worth it just for having metal-piston internals vs a rubber diaphragm. I can pretty much guarantee you'll see an improvement...as far as recirculating DV's go the 710D is the most current and best there is out there.

All I can say is every aspect of engine operation+boost is smoother. Whether its putzing around town or driving "spiritedly"....the improvement is always noticeable.
Put the valve on yesterday and just gave it it's first test with engine fully warmed up. All I can say is WOW! You weren't kidding about the smoothness, it's silky in all driving conditions. Boost is coming up faster, too, and I only hear the valve dumping when backing off of near full boost. Not near as loud as it used to be. Engine braking comes on sooner, too. 1/2 throttle shows 15psi boost and full boost is +20psi with no hiccups. This thing is REALLY NEAT! Many Thanks again.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I LIKE IT! .

Old 04-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Elessar
2nd Gear
Another +1

I installed the 06H 145 710D bypass internals on my car yesterday and it really is quiet, only hear it working over 10 psi. If you really like the sound of the bypass this is probably not for you. I would instead go with the stronger spring from ALTA. I have not had a chance to really push the turbo much so I can't say if it has helped stabilize my peak boost pressure yet but I should have a chance this weekend.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
what g pop work did you get done i have been looking in to them.
Originally Posted by Elessar
I installed the 06H 145 710D bypass internals on my car yesterday and it really is quiet, only hear it working over 10 psi. If you really like the sound of the bypass this is probably not for you. I would instead go with the stronger spring from ALTA. I have not had a chance to really push the turbo much so I can't say if it has helped stabilize my peak boost pressure yet but I should have a chance this weekend.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Elessar
2nd Gear
I basically told them to give me the works. They put larger wheels on both and clipped the hot side.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Have you Dynod your car with the gpop turbo on it?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Same comp housing? I want to go to an ihi vf 34 or vf 36 , the etuners folks have been doing it successfully but i dont know if i want to lose the midrange torque.

I basically told them to give me the works. They put larger wheels on both and clipped the hot side.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Elessar
2nd Gear
Yep same housing. I have still have not had it dynoed, I was always thinking Jan might come nearby and I could have it dyno tuned. Got close with the Atlanta tune party but it didnt happen. I'll try to put the car on a dyno soon and post the results.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Nice! how toes the torque curve compare to the factory wheels?

Ok in addition to my statements above i finally got the valve working right by using a thin plastic washer(to keep the springs from getting tangled as i stated before) the trick was i cut the factory spring in half, then used the platic washer and now i get the response almost as if i was running a closed system with smooth actuation of the valve.

The first time i tired it i wasnt getting any actuation because i used a metal washer which seemed to interfere with the electro magnetic function of the valve.

I will probably be switching to the audi part tomorrow as i hate the phsss sound of the dv.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:42 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear

Ok in addition to my statements above i finally got the valve working right by using a thin plastic washer(to keep the springs from getting tangled as i stated before) the trick was i cut the factory spring in half, then used the platic washer and now i get the response almost as if i was running a closed system with smooth actuation of the valve.

The first time i tired it i wasnt getting any actuation because i used a metal washer which seemed to interfere with the electro magnetic function of the valve.

I will probably be switching to the audi part tomorrow as i hate the phsss sound of the dv.
Freaking sweet! You can get a bunch of springs cut to the optimum length, then resell the "enhanced" DVs and be a millionaire!

But seriously, that's pretty awesome that you're trying all sorts of different variations and giving us feedback. I'll be happy just to use the stock VAG DV internals as-is. Work has been a bi*ch this week but this weekend I'm carving out some time to play with the car.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:08 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Freaking sweet! You can get a bunch of springs cut to the optimum length, then resell the "enhanced" DVs and be a millionaire!
Someone beat you to this already. They already sell 25 cent springs for $25.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Hey guys,

Heres a pic so you have a better understanding.

Call me the Spring F*****g Master!

Took a good 5 trys to get it where i want it

Took me a while to figure out the metal washer was causing the sticking of the valve, switched to the plastic washer (not shown) and all is perfect.

Out of the 3 springs u see i am using the alta provided $25,000 spring teamed up with the largest 1/3rd spring pictured with a plastic thin washer in between to keep them from tangling. Before the washer it would work for a few hrs then the spring would get tangled. I open and closed the valve by hand probably 2 to 3 hundred times to ensure spring seat reliability.

Another thing i had to ensure was that the washer would be thin enough to allow magnetic attraction pass through it... so tested that as well. The plastic washer has to fit tight but loose enough to slide up and down(no pun intended) the shaft of the rod freely with the springs.

Response is sweet and closed system like at low boost. 0-10lbs slight to no venting, anything greater vents just enough to keep a little boost in the system for quick shifts

NOW PAY ME lol

But seriously, that's pretty awesome that you're trying all sorts of different variations and giving us feedback. I'll be happy just to use the stock VAG DV internals as-is. Work has been a bi*ch this week but this weekend I'm carving out some time to play with the car.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Way to go Bigphred22 . Spring F*****g Master .

Are you gonna install the VAG today? Installed mine yesterday and like it.

How much are you gonna tweak the VAG , let us know. How many times have you had that bugger apart? Glutton for punishment . Good luck.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Maybe over 10 times lol... Removal and install takes me literally about 10 minutes.

I will be searching out a source for the vag today and see if i can scoop one up around lunch.

PS : found the part at a local vw dealer, will be getting it on the way home!

Originally Posted by Maugre
Way to go Bigphred22 . Spring F*****g Master .

Are you gonna install the VAG today? Installed mine yesterday and like it.

How much are you gonna tweak the VAG , let us know. How many times have you had that bugger apart? Glutton for punishment . Good luck.

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 04-15-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Elessar
2nd Gear
Nice! how toes the torque curve compare to the factory wheels?

Can you believe I have had this thing for almost 2 years now! It's been so long I don't remember the low end power of the stock MCS to compare. I gave G-pop a call because I could not remember the specs of my turbo. They looked up the build info and said it has a 32lb rated compressor wheel with a 45mm inducer and 56 exducer. Forgot to ask about the turbine wheel size. I do remember it being a little bigger and clipped.

To compare my turbo to what we currently have here is some info from ALTA.
Stock MCS Turbo________ 21 lbs-min
Stock JCW Turbo ________ 25 lbs-min
ALTA Billet 56 Turbo______ 28 lbs-min
Garrett GT2560R Turbo___ 30 lbs-min

I have decided that I have had this turbo long enough with out getting a proper tune and bought an access port today. I have talked with ALTA twice and feel they are going to be able to tune for my setup. They have already tuned for hybrid turbos like mine.

Anyway sorry to derail, I know I am the worst at derailing threads. I have a dyno scheduled for next saturday, April 23. I'll report back in a new thread about my results.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Can you pm price quote... i have some change and may need to get this on before I get my tune clean up on the 14th from jan.

Can you believe I have had this thing for almost 2 years now! It's been so long I don't remember the low end power of the stock MCS to compare. I gave G-pop a call because I could not remember the specs of my turbo. They looked up the build info and said it has a 32lb rated compressor wheel with a 45mm inducer and 56 exducer. Forgot to ask about the turbine wheel size. I do remember it being a little bigger and clipped.

To compare my turbo to what we currently have here is some info from ALTA.
Stock MCS Turbo________ 21 lbs-min
Stock JCW Turbo ________ 25 lbs-min
ALTA Billet 56 Turbo______ 28 lbs-min
Garrett GT2560R Turbo___ 30 lbs-min

I have decided that I have had this turbo long enough with out getting a proper tune and bought an access port today. I have talked with ALTA twice and feel they are going to be able to tune for my setup. They have already tuned for hybrid turbos like mine.

Anyway sorry to derail, I know I am the worst at derailing threads. I have a dyno scheduled for next saturday, April 23. I'll report back in a new thread about my results.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Was finally able to give that VAG valve a real check out this AM on a club run. It definitely works. Boost now comes on so smooth and fast that I was able to power out of corners much sooner then ever before. Up shifts had no turbo lag at all. Might have seen the boost drop to 10psi on shifts and then come right back up, but always with a smoothness that's almost eery. This is waaaay too much fun, LoL!

Old 04-16-2011, 10:11 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
Was finally able to give that VAG valve a real check out this AM on a club run. It definitely works. Boost now comes on so smooth and fast that I was able to power out of corners much sooner then ever before. Up shifts had no turbo lag at all. Might have seen the boost drop to 10psi on shifts and then come right back up, but always with a smoothness that's almost eery. This is waaaay too much fun, LoL!
saw the pics...looked like way too much fun!

Old 04-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
I'm having a hard time taking the DV off.

I have a little L 5 MM Allan but I can't seem to get the 2 bottom screws.

Do I need to go out and buy a new tool?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain If your R56 is dropping boost check this: