Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Project Bluey: Modding my MCS

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:48 AM
phsingl
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Project Bluey: Modding my MCS

My first thread and my first Mini. By way of an introduction, I’m a Brit now living in Hong Kong but have spent 11 of the last 12 years living in New York. I’ve modified a number of cars, historically VW and Audi & previously all turbocharged cars. “Bluey” is my first supercharged car (and the first car I’ve named, but it seems that’s a Mini thing...)
Just finished round 1 of mods that follows a pretty standard formula. Engine 1st, suspension/brakes will be next.
Base: 2004 MCS, 30,000 miles
  • M7 -16% pulley & +2% crank & new belt
  • M7 CAI
  • Forge TMIC & intake hose
  • Miltek header, cat & exhaust
  • Nology wires, Denso plugs, MSD coil
  • JCW 380cc injectors
  • GIAC tune
Dyno details (before and after):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30178121@N06/5490552521/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30178121@N06/5490552549/
(I can't seem to attach images at the moment...)

Unfortunately I wasn’t at either of the dyno sessions and so I’m left with plenty of questions that I hope someone on the board might be able to help me with…
(1) The spike in the dyno curve at 4k rpm on the base plot – I presume this is an anomaly?
(2) Torque doesn’t seem to be raised much versus stock yet it really feels like its pulling much stronger than stock (butt dyno). Is the butt dyno sensation really just from the small incremental area under the torque curve?
(3) Assume the GIAC tune has raised the rev limiter to 7350RPM from 7000?

Despite telling myself I wasn’t interested in the actual outcome of the ‘after’ dyno in terms of hp & Tq numbers, I am a touch disappointed. Knowing that Dyno Dynamic machines can be conservative I would be ok, but my before numbers seem to be pretty much exactly what BMW quotes from the factory…

Given that Hong Kong gets pretty damn hot and humid in the summer, I am planning a meth injection system & was thinking about a custom tune in parallel. There are no dedicated tuners in HK so I suspect a remote tune via one of the West Coast providers might be in order – is that likely to unleash much of an increase on the Tq/Hp numbers? I know the consensus is that canned tunes are not that great, but given the cost of the GIAC tune was about 10% of the overall mods I’m happy for that to be throw-away if necessary.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Checkmate_2006
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome aboard. The MINI is a fantastic car, of which I am sure you are aware. Seems like the mod bug has hit you pretty hard. I am getting Checkers pulleyed (15% WMW) and tuned in 2 1/2 weeks. I am super excited. Even though Mike @ Mynes is doing the tune with a dyno, I am more concerned with the butt dyno results.

Is it possible for you to get a remote tune from WMW, RMW, or Mynes Performance? The prices for remote tunes from one of those vendors don't seem that bad considering the prices of canned tunes.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The GIAC tune comes in a couple different versions to be matched to different cars but since you have of individual mods all from different suppliers you will have to get somebody to go and tweak the map to your car. There have been impressive gains had going from GIAC to tune X, but there are no guarantees. I think Mynes sells a tool that lets you DIY it now. Once you have the tool (if it exists...) these cars shouldn't prove to be all that special, it's just a supercharged Neon engine with a fancy pants Siemens ECU.

Last edited by Some Guy; 03-02-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:40 PM
phsingl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Some Guy
The GIAC tune comes in a couple different versions to be matched to different cars but since you have of individual mods all from different suppliers you will have to get somebody to go and tweak the map to your car. There have been impressive gains had going from GIAC to tune X, but there are no guarantees. I think Mynes sells a tool that lets you DIY it now. Once you have the tool (if it exists...) these cars shouldn't prove to be all that special, it's just a supercharged Neon engine with a fancy pants Siemens ECU.
The shop I use has done similar 'combos' before and they believe the GIAC tune I have best matches the mods but I'm sure you are right that there are compromises being made.
I'm tempted to get the necessary equipment to log in order to maximise the benefit of a remote tune. I guess the big question has to be which remote option do I choose?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:45 PM
phsingl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Checkmate_2006
Welcome aboard. The MINI is a fantastic car, of which I am sure you are aware. Seems like the mod bug has hit you pretty hard. I am getting Checkers pulleyed (15% WMW) and tuned in 2 1/2 weeks. I am super excited. Even though Mike @ Mynes is doing the tune with a dyno, I am more concerned with the butt dyno results.

Is it possible for you to get a remote tune from WMW, RMW, or Mynes Performance? The prices for remote tunes from one of those vendors don't seem that bad considering the prices of canned tunes.
Thanks for the welcome! I've been hankering after a Mini for some time. its the perfect car for Hong Kong (small place, twisty roads) and gives me a chance to experience a different FI drivetrain. My research on remote tuning has been confined to these forums but I see no reason why I can't use one of the vendors you mention - the biggest issue is timezone and being able to talk directly to them when its not the middle of the night for me...

Old 08-10-2011, 04:02 AM
phsingl
1st Gear
Updates:

PSS9s installed in June and nicely bedded down as well as a set of Breyton GTSR wheels and Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 boots - ride height may still take some tweaking but overall happy with the improvement in body roll and turn-in so far. Could have waited longer for PSS10s to arrive in Hong Kong, but wasn't really sure there was any significant benefit.

a few pics including the engine mods:

AP racing 304mm drilled discs & BBK up front installed with Goodridge braided hoses all-round installed in July (no pics yet)

Next up, rear BBK (custom fabricated), larger injectors and a custom tune (most likely Mynes based on research to date).