Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain forge bov and forge bov adapter problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:49 AM
raindizzle
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
forge bov and forge bov adapter problem!!!

i know there are a few members here who have installed the new foge bov alone without the forge bov adapter. but are there any members who have installed both the forge bov and forge bov adapter?

i have both the bov and adapter and have installed it but am having problems with the car.

1. car vents normally at cruising speed when releasing the gas pedal and changing gears but when driving hard and stepping on the gas it will vent as the pedal is down to the ground for a few seconds and then stops while my foot is still pressing down on the pedal...is that normal?

2. i'm getting p1479 and p115d cell codes and no screws or hoses are loose

3. no pull at all when flooring it while the car vents for a few seconds but then when it stops venting all power and pull is there while the pedal is still on the floor

4. when reving the car at idle to 3k rpm then letting it idle back to 1k rpm it would go below and boggle and it sounds like the car is about to die then idles back to 1k rpm

5. does the car need to get use to the bov? do i need to get it tuned? i've already cleared the codes but still coming back =[

car is a 2007 r56 cooperS mt and has only had the bsh can/boost tap, and forge bov/adapter as its first upgrades since now this is what i can afford. had other things planned up for the car but never fell through because of financial issues.

already e-mailed waylen what the problem might be since i ordered the stuff from him. but i want to hear from others if you ran into this issue and how you got it resolved...also it says that the bov isn't suppose to throw codes and what not and that it suppose to be more responsive too right? then why am i the unlucky one lol

Old 01-27-2011, 08:50 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
P115D is because of the VTA (vent to atmosphere) BOV. Your MAF sensor can detect that charge-air is escaping what SHOULD be a closed system. Get rid of the VTA BOV and you should be good to go. For example, the BOV vents, the ECU sees a drop in the charge-air flow rate while also seeing it hasn't actuated the stock diverter valve... BOOM you get the P115D code. I have an HKS SSQV that exhibits the same problems from time to time. It's really annoying on the track when you need to be feathering the throttle and not treat it like an on-off switch.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 PM
raindizzle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
For example, the BOV vents, the ECU sees a drop in the charge-air flow rate while also seeing it hasn't actuated the stock diverter valve... BOOM you get the P115D code.
so are you saying that the bov venting as you put the pedal to the floor when the diverter valve hasn't been put into action would cause the problem.

so that means i probably have a failed forge diverter valve that is not being actuated electronically since my car is just venting right?

and how can the MAF sense a drop in charge air if my forge adapter is after the MAF and forge diverter valve before the turbo?

Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not relating to throttle position at all. In a closed charge-air system, ANYTIME a VTA BOV vents when the stock diverter valve is not actuated you're running the high risk of getting the P115D code. The MAF sensor can detect the drop in charge-air flow rate when it clearly shouldn't be dropping and populate the P115D code.

I wouldn't say the Forge diverter valve has failed. You can't rule that for sure. If you remove the old Forge sandwich style VTA BOV and keep the Forge diverter valve installed, you can then troubleshoot the Forge diverter valve.

The MAF sensor is more sensitive than you think. It sure better be for $600. Again, it helps to visualize the charge-air system as a closed system. If there is a leak (VTA BOV in this case) the effects of the air flow and pressure drop can be observed upstream. That is why the MAF sensor can detect it.

Originally Posted by raindizzle
so are you saying that the bov venting as you put the pedal to the floor when the diverter valve hasn't been put into action would cause the problem.

so that means i probably have a failed forge diverter valve that is not being actuated electronically since my car is just venting right?

and how can the MAF sense a drop in charge air if my forge adapter is after the MAF and forge diverter valve before the turbo?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i'm curious how the maf would know what's charged air... that's all preturbo and therefore pre-charged...and the recirc on the turbo happens right at the turbo inlet... when i was running my helix bov i never had an issue but that was where the noise maker was located, pre throttle and pre map...

Old 02-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Sgt.Beer
1st Gear
I have the forge bov aswell and for like 6 months it worked awsome, no problems. Now its a useless piece of crap because it gets stuck in either the closed or open position. And of course the car has a heart attack when it does it. It goes to half power and takes me like an hour to get that to go away. Then as soon as i get on it again, it goes to half power again.