Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Clutch: Valeo smf kit vs OEM dmf kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:14 PM
SuprCoop
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Clutch: Valeo smf kit vs OEM dmf kit

Ok, I've done the reading on clutches, decided that a relatively stock setup will work for me, my planned upgrades and how I drive my car.

What I haven't found are many reviews from people who have been running the Valeo kit and how it feels/compares/wears compared to the stock setup.

I don't think I'll be doing this myself, I don't have the right tools/space to do this kind of job. But I'd also like a detailed (if possible?) list of things to replace while it's all out of the car. C-arm bushings? Any seals? Hoses? I saw mention of trans forks?

Thanks in advance

Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 PM
FlzRider
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Jazzop
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SuprCoop
But I'd also like a detailed (if possible?) list of things to replace while it's all out of the car. C-arm bushings? Any seals? Hoses? I saw mention of trans forks?
Lower motor/gearbox mount-- replace or install polyurethane insert (as needed/desired)

Slave cylinder-- replace. It's cheap in both quality and price, so go ahead.

Control arm bushings-- At least inspect them. The clutch job gets you about halfway there to replace those bushings, so the decision to replace them is kind of a judgment call.

Power steering pump/hose-- these are failure-prone, so inspect and if there's any leakage at all...

That's all that comes to mind right now. I'm sure there's more. Since you are the kind of guy to stick with a stock flywheel/clutch combo, I won't bother you with all the mods and upgrades you could do while you're in there.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:25 AM
SuprCoop
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
FLZRider, saw that link, but looking for more than one or two opinions if possible. Hoping that others have that setup.

Jazzop, already have the lower/gearbox mount inserts.

The rest, thank you. Thinking of upgrading the control arm bushings with poly ones. I know one of the ps hoses was leaking at the canister, so I'll consider that too.

I'm sticking with a stock'ish combo since it's my daily driver, and the side effects of a more race'ish setup don't sound too appealing for a DD. But...would you mind throwing the mods and upgrades that can be done at me? I'm ALWAYS up for a good upgrade to my car =)