Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Help - how do you remove fuel pressure regulator

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:40 AM
SteveS
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help - how do you remove fuel pressure regulator

I need help.
I'm trying to replace the fuel pressure regulator. I do not have a repair manual. Looking at the motor, it looks like I have to remove the two bolts which hold the fuel rail to the motor, and slide the fuel up and and away from the injectors. Is that correct?

Do I have to remove the fuel injector connectors to move the fuel rail?

Do I have to disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail? If so, how does it come off?

I have two pictures which I've tried to mark up to show the areas of inquiry

Attached Thumbnails Help - how do you remove fuel pressure regulator-fuel_rail_marked_up.jpg   Help - how do you remove fuel pressure regulator-p1000474.jpg  
Old 09-12-2010, 11:52 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Will have to disconnect the battery neg terminal.
Always best to replace the lower injector O-rings with new ones after this proceedure.

Remove the electrical connections for each inj.
The two bolts on either end of the fuel rail
The top of the injectors are seated into the fuel rail and can stay there.
Lay out a large towel for this set up to rest on once taken out. There will be some fuel spillage.

The FPR has one vac line - remove that. It's seated with one of the O-rings into an aluminm bell housing. The housing is prone to being mishapen so be careful. There is a huge clip which holds the FPR up into the bell housing. You will have to use a pair of pliers to grab the back of the clip to pull it free. Once you have it removed you will see what else needs to be done. You can use either oil or vaseline on the o rings for the FPR.

When putting it back together make double sure it looks exactly the same as it did when you removed the clip ! The tips of the clip have to be completely through and out the two little windows on the opposite side of the bell housing.

I say this because somtimes they can miss their mark and go below the windows......If this happens the FPR is not fully seated and when you begin cranking the engine you gonna give the front of the engine a gasoline bath !

Replace the Inj lower O-rings put a dab of clean oil on them and put it back together. Mop up any excess fuel spillage.

Reconnect battery...oh yeah. Almost forgot that.

May need to allow the fuel pump to re-prime system two times with key to Pos 2 before it will start.

let it idle and check for any leaks.

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 09-12-2010 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
EastOfEdmonton (12-29-2022)
Old 09-12-2010, 12:01 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
+1
Simple thing....big thing is to be safe, work on a cool motor, and release the fuel preaseure from the rail....using a screwdriver tip, and a cup, remove the rail end cap, and you can remove the pressure...the go about it!! The clip on the back is kind funny (it resembles a horse shoe if i remember right)...but self expanitouy...just slide it off...it can only go one way...and then insert the new regulator, and re-assemble the same way!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:57 AM
thecanuck
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished replacing mine. Very easy job. Exactly as grey explained it!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:28 PM
SteveS
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks all.
Process is well described above. I got some help. Points learned: To remove injector connectors, squeeze the metal clip and pull straight out. To move injector harness where it plugs into the metal bracket, just grab plastic clip and pull straight out. After removing 2 bolts holding fuel rail, just pull rail straight out.

All very obvious to everyone but me. A friend stopped by and did it as I watched.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 AM
kernalzero
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How difficult is this to perform?

I'm thinking of replacing my fuel pressure regulator as I've been having some trouble that seems very much related to the FPR.

How difficult is this to perform? I've never done a repair beyond replacing breakpads, rotors and changing my oil filter - the basic maintenance stuff.

Symptoms: Go to start he engine, it struggles to turn over when the key is turned to start. Seemed to be the battery as Autozone tested the battery and it had reported it needed to be replaced. The current across the battery seems to increase once the engine is started and as far as I can recall this usually means the alternator is fine. Here is the big thing - if I step on the accelerator the car turns over and the engine seems to run just fine. I have never experienced any issues once the car has been start with the exception of occasionally having a little bit of a rough idle once when I'm at a traffic light with the AC running. My best guess is this is the FPR causing it and I'd rather replace it than spend the $100 for the Mini dealership to tell me that's the problem then $XXXX to replace it. THANKS!!!!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
When you say "struggles to turn over" of you are refering to slow crank, then look at the battery....
if it cranks fine, but does not fire, you MIGHT be on the right track...a simple guage that plugs into the fuel rail would tell you before spending any $$. Using your logic, it just as eassily be a fuel (in the tank with the pump) filter...there is a micro filter just in front of the fpr if i remember right....

Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
kernalzero
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
When you say "struggles to turn over" of you are refering to slow crank, then look at the battery....
if it cranks fine, but does not fire, you MIGHT be on the right track...a simple guage that plugs into the fuel rail would tell you before spending any $$. Using your logic, it just as eassily be a fuel (in the tank with the pump) filter...there is a micro filter just in front of the fpr if i remember right....
Sorry I forgot to mention - I replaced the battery with a Duralast from Autozone (which fits perfectly) - the issue is better and the engine doesn't struggle as much but I still need to press the accelerator.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 AM
kernalzero
1st Gear
so I've found that turning the key to position 2 for a few seconds before turning the engine on actually fixes the problem. I think the fuel pressure regulator is going bad. I'm going to start a new thread though - I sort of hijacked this old thread.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:49 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Could also be a slight vacuum leak also, the FPR is controlled by vacuum.