Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 PM
five50
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Alta
Does the Access Port work on UK cars (I have a 2010jcw) and do you provide maps for our fuel grades?
I am not sure if our fuel is actually different, but I am pretty sure that our octane ratings are - the JCW runs on super unleaded which is categorised as 98ron over here.
Interested in your thoughts...

Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sorry, the AccessPORT does not work on UK cars. Right now we aren't planning on making it compatible.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:40 AM
KJs Toy
1st Gear
Jcw

Originally Posted by BlueToy
KJ-

Read back a few posts, Chris covers what's needed for Stage 2. As far as the maps go, the AP comes pre loaded with various Stage 1,2 and 3 maps. You select/run which ones are applicable to your mods/Mini. Also, the Alta site covers the AP very well...everything from the Stages/maps, dynos, etc., as well as a video on how to install. Hope this helps.

-Steven
Thank You Very Much Blue Toy . I finally got my "sad" answer from Chris at Alta. They do have a fantastic customer support.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:29 AM
Fahrout
Neutral
Hello all, I have a problem with my R56 mini while doing a dyno run. I currently have a Accessport stage 3 92 octane tune installed on my 2007 R56. The boost pressure will dump during a dyno run right around 3500 RPM. This happened on all 4 runs on the dyno. The ambient temperature during the dyno runs was around 90F, unusually hot for here in Germany (the R56 is American spec, I am American stationed in Germany). The turbo does not dump during street driving, but it may be early to make that assertion as I have only had stage 3 installed since acquiring my new exhaust 3 days ago. This also happened on that same day when my friend dyno'd his 2008 Clubman. Does this issue foreshadow deeper problems to come?

This the engine mods I have installed: 3 inch handmade exhaust with racing downpipe and high flow cat (made by Schafer Clubsport in Kaiserslautern Germany), DoS CAI, Alta intake piping including turbo muffler delete, Forge motorsports FMIC, Forge atmo BOV (with yellow spring installed) and noisemaker delete.

(update) During a drive today, I did experience turbo cut when I went hard to WOT in 3rd gear to pass a car on an uphill grade.

Last edited by Fahrout; 08-19-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: turbo cut found to occur off dyno as well as on
Old 08-19-2012, 07:43 AM
user 837978240
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey there Chris,

Any updates for 2011 S model MINIs?

Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
I'm sorry, the AccessPORT does not work on UK cars. Right now we aren't planning on making it compatible.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:05 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrout
Hello all, I have a problem with my R56 mini while doing a dyno run. I currently have a Accessport stage 3 92 octane tune installed on my 2007 R56. The boost pressure will dump during a dyno run right around 3500 RPM. This happened on all 4 runs on the dyno. The ambient temperature during the dyno runs was around 90F, unusually hot for here in Germany (the R56 is American spec, I am American stationed in Germany). The turbo does not dump during street driving, but it may be early to make that assertion as I have only had stage 3 installed since acquiring my new exhaust 3 days ago. This also happened on that same day when my friend dyno'd his 2008 Clubman. Does this issue foreshadow deeper problems to come?

This the engine mods I have installed: 3 inch handmade exhaust with racing downpipe and high flow cat (made by Schafer Clubsport in Kaiserslautern Germany), DoS CAI, Alta intake piping including turbo muffler delete, Forge motorsports FMIC, Forge atmo BOV (with yellow spring installed) and noisemaker delete.

(update) During a drive today, I did experience turbo cut when I went hard to WOT in 3rd gear to pass a car on an uphill grade.
Chris,

You will get a faster response if you take some datalogs and send them to Maps@altaperformance.com or give them a call and talk to Jeff directly. I had the wrong map installed when I was on the Dyno. Found my mistake today and wanted to shoot myself.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by G33KGUY
Hey there Chris,

Any updates for 2011 S model MINIs?
No updates, sorry!

Originally Posted by Fahrout

A datalog showing this would be very helpfiul. That will tell us exactly what the car is doing. Send it to maps@altaperformance.com with a list of mods, and the map that you're running, thanks!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Fahrout
Neutral
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
No updates, sorry!

A datalog showing this would be very helpfiul. That will tell us exactly what the car is doing. Send it to maps@altaperformance.com with a list of mods, and the map that you're running, thanks!

Will do, but for now I have to go back to Afghanistan for a few weeks soon. I will send you a log ASAP when I get back. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:57 PM
NYTransplant
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bmwi6
I gave the car a run for it's money yesterday and without the AP I know my fan would've been going crazy like a turbine but it didn't even go off yesterday and my car got pretty hot. Any input on this? Thanks guys
I've noticed this as well. There were a couple mentions of this in this thread, and were pretty much written off as not the fault of the Accessport.

I can't say that I beleive there is not something going on with the Accessport. I noticed my fan didn't stay on as long either once the Accessport was installed. I got home tonight, and uninstalled the Accesport after the car sat for about 20 minutes. Once I uninstalled it, the fan immediately kicked in and stayed on for about 5 minutes. That tells me that the stock map was calling for the fan, even after sitting for some time, but the Accessport map was not.

Anybody else see this?

Any input from Alta?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:30 PM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seen the exact same results last week end. Came back from a shopping run. AP installed. Fan ran for 2-3 minutes then stopped. Uninstalled AP. Then fan kicked off again fir a good 4-5 minutes

Old 08-22-2012, 08:40 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Yep! From the first day I installed the AP I noticed this. This was back when it was 95 degrees plus each day and without the AP installed I'd run up to the store and back and the fan would always be running after I turned the car off but with the AP installed it rarely would. Obviously I was looking and listening for any change in the car once I installed the AP but this stood out immediately. I called and asked about it but was told it's not the AP as they only remap the engine. That struck me as odd but ok perhaps I was being overly paranoid.

I will say I also had a fluttering idle issue and they sent me a new map and it went away. I've noticed since then my fan kicks on much more frequently as well. More like when I was running the stock map but still not quite the same. Of course I just may be used to it now.

All this said it is possible the stock map calls for the fan at a far lower threshold than need be for safety sake much in the same way they hold back on the power end of things. I know little about engine mapping so take that for what it's worth. Not much

Old 08-23-2012, 03:43 PM
NYTransplant
2nd Gear
Quick update on the cooling fan. I reinstalled the Accessport this evening after a lethargic drive to work and back. You really notice the difference when you uninstall it.

Anyway, after I installed the Accessport, the fan came on! So it seems that the act of flashing the ECU somehow triggers the cooling fan to kick in when the car is warm. It happens both installing and uninstalling. The fan kicking in is apparently NOT a result of any parameters in the Alta map.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:35 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Guess that's a good thing to know. In my case once I got an updated map from Chris/Jeff and installed it I not only didn't have any idle issues but the fan issue seemed to disapear as well.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 AM
turtle343
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NYTransplant
Quick update on the cooling fan. I reinstalled the Accessport this evening after a lethargic drive to work and back. You really notice the difference when you uninstall it.

Anyway, after I installed the Accessport, the fan came on! So it seems that the act of flashing the ECU somehow triggers the cooling fan to kick in when the car is warm. It happens both installing and uninstalling. The fan kicking in is apparently NOT a result of any parameters in the Alta map.

same things happen to me. just did it then when i was changing around my rmw tunes. it is freezing here to so its just from stuffing around with the ecu. does it every time.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got AP today and installed on my car. I have a 07 MCS with 59000 km on it with FMIC and JCW Exhaust (JCW Kit one).

I'm running Stage 1 FMIC and I feel the difference between JCW Kit map vs Stage 1 map.

The car feels so different from 3000 rpm onwards. You get this surge of power all of a sudden where was the JCW Kit map is very progressive all the way thought the power band.

Does everyone who use AP follow this video instruction for DataLog?

Last edited by Ch28Kid; 08-25-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: added video
Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Just a heads up.

I just got my AP today. I have a 2010 MCS. I updated the firmware before installing. You will have to search the ALTA site to find out how to access the AP manager software. My laptop would not update automatically.

I then went out all excited to flash my ECU!!

Is what I did. It gave me a new vehicle ROM error. So of course I had to google all over the place to figure out what the hell that was.

Looks like I am SOL. I had to download my ECU info to the AP then send a file to ALTA and now it says it will take a few days for them to update my access port.

Pretty bummed.

I ordered the AP last Wednesday and got it today. Felt like a kid on Christmas morning...........only I didn't get the "red rider BB gun"

LOL

Can't wait to get this thing up and running.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack & Coke
Just a heads up.

I just got my AP today. I have a 2010 MCS. I updated the firmware before installing. You will have to search the ALTA site to find out how to access the AP manager software. My laptop would not update automatically.

I then went out all excited to flash my ECU!!

Is what I did. It gave me a new vehicle ROM error. So of course I had to google all over the place to figure out what the hell that was.

Looks like I am SOL. I had to download my ECU info to the AP then send a file to ALTA and now it says it will take a few days for them to update my access port.

Pretty bummed.

I ordered the AP last Wednesday and got it today. Felt like a kid on Christmas morning...........only I didn't get the "red rider BB gun"

LOL

Can't wait to get this thing up and running.
At least it was a ROM fix, mine was an entire AP fix. I had to send it directly to Cobb....TWICE(!) because whenever it tried to update to the latest beta map on my Mac, it would freeze and be stuck on the "Updating" screen. There was no way of resetting this and I had to pay outta pocket to ship it to Cobb in Texas just so they can reset it for me....TWICE.

Count yourself lucky!

All is well now, but back then, drove me crazy to drive w/o a tune...

Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
At least it was a ROM fix, mine was an entire AP fix. I had to send it directly to Cobb....TWICE(!) because whenever it tried to update to the latest beta map on my Mac, it would freeze and be stuck on the "Updating" screen. There was no way of resetting this and I had to pay outta pocket to ship it to Cobb in Texas just so they can reset it for me....TWICE.

Count yourself lucky!

All is well now, but back then, drove me crazy to drive w/o a tune...

Well the firmware update worked. But It still didn't recognize my car.
How come you didn't do a RMW tune. We both live pretty close by?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:19 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Got the Alta AP tune for cheap so hard to just pass up.

And yes I believe you're in SoCal also.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
UPDATE!!

So ALTA contacted me first thing today. Within 4 hours I had a new BETA update ready for me. Just installed it on the cooper. Outstanding customer service. Although I am only running the 91 octane map, you really can't beat the performance gains!

Can't wait till I can get a FMIC and a few more mods!

Thanks Alta!!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:47 AM
theromulus
2nd Gear
Doing an uninstall today getting ready to trade my beloved JCW in for an SUV sadly. We totaled our family vehicle a few months ago and we need more room than the mini can give. The wife doesn't want two car payments .
Will doing an uninstall set this back to base so it can be used by someone else?

Last edited by theromulus; 09-01-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:21 PM
NYTransplant
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by theromulus
Doing an uninstall today getting ready to trade my beloved JCW in for an SUV sadly. We totaled our family vehicle a few months ago and we need more room than the mini can give. The wife doesn't want two car payments .
Will doing an uninstall set this back to base so it can be used by someone else?
Yes, if you uninstall, you can sell it to another MINI owner.

Sorry to hear you have to part with the mini.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:09 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Yes, doing an uninstall will allow it to work on another car. Sorry to hear about having to part with your MINI!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Pathy01
2nd Gear
So, now that the 2013 JCW is converting to the N18, thus making all new turbo MINIs powered by the N18, is ALTA planning to develop the AP for this platform? I sure hope so as I just placed my order for a 2013 JCW and loved the results with the AP on my 2009 JCW.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 PM
jtack
4th Gear
Are you interested in selling it?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread